Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one who DOESN'T like it when videogames are challenging?

Sazama Ichida

(edited)
Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem

If you find these difficult and generally not enjoyable you should really be playing point-and-clicks/visual novels that tell you EXACTLY what to do.

I recommend Grim Fandango and the Nancy Drew game series (yes yes they look pansy as hell but I still have all of them they're fun okay ;~; )

Katawa Shoujo is good (but turn the sexy stuff off if you don't want your eyes burned out), as is Saya No Uta.

Edit: Emotes pls stop.

Edited by Cirrostratus

There's a difference between a challenging game and one that's just stupidly difficult

Sometimes devs will fill a game with bullshit and call it challenging, there are other games that simply require you to play smart.

In most FPS games, switching to the hardest difficulty usually just means getting barraged with 1-hit grenades or enemies sneaking up and insta killing you from behind or something like that.

Now look at games like Dark Souls, the majority of the time, when I die in that game, I'm able to see something that I could've done better or a mistake I made, or that I'm just underlevelled for the area and should come back once I level up or get better equipment.

Funny you should say that. I feel like literally every gamer but me has lightning-fast super ninja reflexes...

For some people it comes a bit easier than others but for a lot of people if they practice enough they can get really good at certain things. I am certainly much better at video games than when I was a little kid, part of it is improved reflexes and part of it is because I am a lot smarter now than I was back then.

I personally enjoy a challenge but it has to be pretty fair, my favorite games are with those simple controls but are challenging to actually complete. Although there are times where i prefer easier and more casual games because sometimes life is too stressful to be frustrated by a video game. Games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing and recently Super Meat Boy are my favorites.

If you find these difficult and generally not enjoyable you should really be playing point-and-clicks.

Donkey Kong games can actually be pretty difficult especially the Country games and the Original Arcade Donkey Kong, where even getting over 100,000 points isn't easy at all, Donkey Kong gets so unpredictable and the enemies move very fast while you move slow, plus you can only be hit once and cant even fall down very far.

If you don't enjoy a challenge i don't think there is anything wrong with that, lots of people find life itself challenging enough and just don't want to be frustrated by something they are trying to enjoy. Its a great thing that today there are so many games out there that there is pretty much something for everyone. So play what you like as gaming is supposed to be about having fun :)

(edited)

I cannot fucking believe I'm the only one who finds the Mario games difficult...

You're dead in only 2 FUCKING HITS...And unless you get a mushroom it's only ONE...FUCKING HELL MAN...

HOW ARE THESE GAMES EASIER THAN DONKEY KONG?!?!?!?! HOW!?!?!?!? THEY ARE EVERY BIT AS RIDICULOUSLY HARD!!!

I hate to be blunt but if you think those games are that frustrating, you should probably stick with more casual games

Or at least ones where you can turn the difficulty down really low

Edited by Omega Centauri
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do I really need to say what makes Fire Emblem hard? I shouldn't have to but here goes:

These games are just ridiculous...How the fuсk are they even beatable without cheating? You can't even grind...And people talk about what characters are "good" and "bad" but I don't even see how there can be such a thing as a "good" character in these games...Because everyone you get is absolute garbage...All of them do nothing but take little chips off the enemies' health bars each turn while they themselves get wasted by the enemies in a maximum of only TWO hits...They all die super fast and do insignificant damage (and some even do the amazing feat of achieving 0 damage on enemies). How the hell am I supposed win these games when my characters are all so weak that they can't do shіt to the enemies and there's not even a way to make them stronger and change that?

And what classes can really be considered good?

Archers? Can't take more than 2 hits, Healers? Can't take more than 2 hits and can't heal from a distance until they get the Physic Staff. And they can't even heal themselves...And because of all that most of the time I'm just forced to keep them out of the danger zone instead of using them to heal...Pegasus Knights? They get oneshotted by arrows and also always die in only two hits and are so weak that they can't kill enemies even with double attacks...Fighters? Suck ass, They don't do enough damage and can't dodge for shіt and also die in 2 hits. Myrmidons? They're good at dodging but they have poor defense and don't do significant damage when they attack and get shishkebabed in 1-2 hits by the lance-welding enemies. I could go on but I'll stop here. And there's no point in even mentioning the promoted classes because it's impossible to get your characters leveled up enough to change to them without cheating...

And only like 2 to 3 of the characters you start out with at the beginning of these games are even worth jackshit. They're the only ones who can do significant damage. The rest are just there to slightly chip the health bars of what those 2 or 3 can't kill and they die pretty much immediately when the enemy counterattacks...

And as if all that wasn't ridiculous enough here are some more ridiculous things about these games:

1. Your equipment breaks and you can only buy trash. You don't get to have any of the good weapons when you need them but the enemies almost always have them. You only use what the game wants you to use.

2. Same deal with money. You only get money if the games decide to not be a prick and give you something worth selling.

3. The number of characters you can deploy in a battle is limited, Normally that wouldn't be a problem but like I said since I can't even grind everyone will stay underleveled and not be able to do crap...

4. These games throw all sorts of cheap BS at you. Some enemies can attack you from like 10-15 and even 30 spaces away. And there's that fog of war thing that you can't even see through that the enemies can use to their advantage. You won't be able to see where the enemies are to attack them and they can ambush you from pretty much anywhere and all of your team can be dead in mere seconds.

Seriously, I must be doing something seriously wrong cuz unless I use cheat codes these games are always just me using like 3 characters to mop up 80% of the enemies, while the rest of my team has to just run for their lives to avoid being killed while trying to kill the remaining 20% until I eventually reach a point where the enemies are all too strong to kill and I have no chance of winning...

I don't see how these games are even possible to beat without using cheat codes to grind or get max stat characters...

The only exceptions to what I've mentioned are Sacred Stones and Awakening because in those games you actually CAN grind...That being the case I can see how to beat those without cheating and I WAS able to beat those but not any of the others...

I don't know why I even bother playing these games...I'm way better off playing the Kingdom Hearts games and the Tales games...I should just stick to those...

Edited by Asbel Lhant

I like a challenging game, but there becomes a point where the game is so challenging that it gets borderline impossible to play.  The NES was a really big offender in this regard, and there are some really infamous excessively challenging games.  Ever try Battletoads?  Good luck beating that game.

What makes the Fire Emblem games hard is the fact that in most of them once a character dies they are worm chow forever so making a simple mistake can really screw you over and cause you to lose a very valuable team member. In Fire Emblem Awakening it does at least give you the option to either have your characters be toast once they meet their maker or be auto revived after a battle is over which does make things at least easier but not so much to where the game is no longer a challenge.

(edited)

I really, REALLY suck balls at games...

Mario and Donkey Kong you're dead in a maximum of only 2 hits at most...It's fucking ridiculous...I'll never understand why I'm the only one who can't beat these games...

The Zelda games? well technically I only played one. Ocarina of Time. I got lost and couldn't figure out where to go. And then I got stuck one of those song minigames and gave up...

And I've played Kirby's games actually. They're too hard for me as well...

Pokemon is hard? Since when? Most RPGs are really easy if you abuse grinding. And that's what I do. But then again X and Y are the only Pokemon games I've played.

Two hits ain't nothing, try one hit and having the entire screen flooded with damaging bullets where you have to scrape past them to survive.

Like, Ive never had a problem in any Mario game like that cause most of the time you can move at your own pace, meaning nothing should get to you without some kind of tricky set up. And even then, you can sit and figure most out before attempting them. Its when the level starts moving on its own time that fucks me up. Now, those, are irritating to do.

Zelda's are just puzzles inside of an adventure game. Just require a bit of thinking (sometimes a lot of it, actually O.o) to get through most.

Ive gotten lost in them when I was a child before, so I know that feel. Its not uncommon at first, really.

The songs things are usually related to the latest or one of the latest you just got. That, or they hint at which one should be played somewhere that youve been.

Ok, some Kirby bosses have been just down right stupid, so I can't fully say its all fun and games with it. Level wise, though, its just like any other in the genre.

X and Y are, literally, THE easiest pokemon games to date. They hand you everything on a damn silver platter.

And yeah, I don't abuse grinding in pokemon as I dont see a point. It really takes out just about everything in it. Even story cause of how I see it. That being you're a kid who is shooting for the highest of places in the pokemon world, going through obstacles and a growing friendship with their pokemon to achieve it. Not, that kid who fought a bunch of ratatas and then steamrolled everyone else due to high powered poke's.

Ive had a few times where beating a certain person was hard or getting past a certain point. I remember once that I had to restart my whole game simply cause the pokemon I had got shit on by one of the elite four and I couldn't do anything about it. I should mention that I also pick my team by those I get somewhat attached to after a while and I don't ever change them for another pokemon. Did that once and I truly regret it ever since.

Also, its not like its bad or anything to like easy games over hard ones. Whether it's cause you suck at them or you just prefer them, its whatever, really.

Edited by Haven

To me, the key is not letting yourself get frustrated. Easy for me because I drown myself in Rarity and it's impossible to be mad with her around ( :wub: ) but I gotta say, not getting angry is a HUGE step forward in the right direction.

Hell, just earlier today, I was playing Final Doom and I died at least 15 times on the same part because I ended up getting swarmed by enemies and it was impossible not to get maimed, almost. What did I do? 

Well, I didn't get angry, I just camped in a corned and shot down all the villains :proud:

Just don't let yourself get frustrated, and it isn't as hard as it seems.

Badly said on my part. I addore the ninja gaiden and dead or alive series. I beat all 3 nintendo ones and beat the xbox one on the hardest difficulty before black came out. I just see then as games who stay hard because of their lineage and not really for anything else.

*Cough*super mario rpg*cough*

The last small castle on level 8 of Super Mario 3 was a nightmare. Beating Bowser was easier.

I love a challenge, but I hate games that make me rage like crazy. To me there is a fine line between "challenging" and "hard as Hell". Mega Man 2? Challenging. TMNT for NES? RAGE QUIT!

Just don't let yourself get frustrated, and it isn't as hard as it seems.

*sigh* If only it were that simple...
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't care if the games I play are easy or hard, all I care about is to know if the games I play are enjoyable or not. I'm not a gamer, but I sort of wish both the "casual people vs competitive people" rivalry would just end and both sides would accept their differences. If someone is terrible at Mario games or whatnot, then it shouldn't matter to anyone else, really.

This might sound scrub-like, but I don't like it when people criticise a game just because it's easy. I can understand why people would say that since the majority of gamers take gaming rather seriously, but the difficulty of a game doesn't affect that much.

Edited by Mienshao
  • Brohoof 1

So I'm bad at games just because I can't beat any of the retro Nintendo games? I can still beat alot of games made by Sony though. And I can also beat some Sega games. Forget point and click games those are boring. At least the ones I've seen.

I like my games easy, thank you very much. I get so paranoid with difficult games that I forget to have fun. Something like Okami lets me enjoy the experience because I have the comfort of knowing that nothing that the developers will throw at me will catch me unprepared.

There's other ways a game can challenge me than fear of death. While the original Portal has too many turrets for my liking, the second game has puzzles that invigorate my thinking skills -- but it's not too much of a problem if you fail. You just go back and return to problem-solving. 

That's what I like!

It's a calm sort of difficulty. I'm actively trying new puzzle solutions, so it's very fun, but I'm not nervous. Psychonauts is similar in that the majority of the game is gentle on my adrenaline. I don't think it makes me a better player to enjoy that style more. I'm not what you'd call a talented gamer. 

But I can enjoy my games however the heck I want to.

• Brohoof 2

>mario, zelda, donkey kong, and fire emblem are hard   BWHAHAHAHA   That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. You want a hard game, play Ecco the Dolphin (I still can't get past the goddamn city of forever) , Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Battletoads, Demon's Souls, etc.

Obviously you aren't a completionist, because DK country will kick your dead body up and down the street if you aren't prepared. (especially the later levels)

Also, how could you say Sonic 3 and Knuckles is hard?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like my games easy, thank you very much. I get so paranoid with difficult games that I forget to have fun. Something like Okami lets me enjoy the experience because I have the comfort of knowing that nothing that the developers will throw at me will catch me unprepared.

There's other ways a game can challenge me than fear of death. While the original Portal has too many turrets for my liking, the second game has puzzles that invigorate my thinking skills -- but it's not too much of a problem if you fail. You just go back and return to problem-solving. 

That's what I like!

It's a calm sort of difficulty. I'm actively trying new puzzle solutions, so it's very fun, but I'm not nervous. Psychonauts is similar in that the majority of the game is gentle on my adrenaline. I don't think it makes me a better player to enjoy that style more. I'm not what you'd call a talented gamer. 

But I can enjoy my games however the heck I want to.

When I say a game is too easy it's not usually about the elements; it's about the game having little or no punishment for doing things wrong. I played a Kung Fu Panfa game like this: you can die as many times as you want, and you'll regen in the same place, no harm done. On top of it, said game gives you powerups without increasing the difficulty of the levels or characters, meaning after a while, you just steamroll. It's the no risk, all reward games that I find irksome.

Edited by Shimmer5000

So I'm bad at games just because I can't beat any of the retro Nintendo games? I can still beat alot of games made by Sony though. And I can also beat some Sega games. Forget point and click games those are boring. At least the ones I've seen.

Point and click adventures arnt about the gameplay but the story, Give Tell Tales Walking Dead and The wolf among us a go you will enjoy those amazing player driven stories.

(edited)

When I say a game is too easy it's not usually about the elements; it's about the game having little or no punishment for doing things wrong. I played a Kung Fu Panfa game like this: you can die as many times as you want, and you'll regen in the same place, no harm done. On top of it, said game gives you powerups without increasing the difficulty of the levels or characters, meaning after a while, you just steamroll. It's the no risk, all reward games that I find irksome.

We have different things that appeal to us, then. I prefer games where it's balanced so that failure's a slap on the wrist but success is more difficult to achieve. I find it encourages experimentation and entertainment on my end. 

"Sure, I probably won't MAKE that jump, but it's not too hard to get back here and figure out a new way of approaching this if I don't..."

Edited by Stellafera

Personally, it depends on my mood. If I'm mad and want to feel good about myself, I do a game that's challenging enough that it takes a few tries to win, so that when I do beat it, it's all the sweeter for it. There's something Yahtzee said in one of his reviews "It was never so hard that it made me want to stop playing, just angry, and that's not a bad thing. Angry doesn't make you stop playing, angry gets shit done". If I'm tired of losing shit, like being on a losing streak in Dota, I'll generally go to a Valve server in TF2 and just pubstomp to pick myself up, because that's basically like playing an easy game due to how new most of the patrons of valve servers are.

Obviously you aren't a completionist, because DK country will kick your dead body up and down the street if you aren't prepared. (especially the later levels)

Also, how could you say Sonic 3 and Knuckles is hard?

Sonic 3 and Knuckles was my favorite childhood game! =D

Sonic 3 and Knuckles was my favorite childhood game! =D

Fun game. Maybe I only find it easy because I've beaten it a bunch of times...

Also, pokemon. I feel that they've made it far too easy to beat now.

A good amount of challange is important in making a game worth playing, that, and all the more satesfying once completed...

Well That all depends on the difficulty and how challenging the game is for me. some of the games aren't that challenging for me.

For Kirby Games, it's not that challenging for me unless i'm attempted to 100% on them except for kirby canvas curse and kirby air ride.

For Pokemon games, Everything is strategy and planning for me, but I make a challenge of my own.

For Mega man games, Well some of the robot masters are easy to defeat without consuming the special weapons energy, but for Mega man 4, I can only defeat certain bosses with mega buster and for mega man 5-6, I normally defeat all the robot masters with a mega buster without using special weapons so apparently I know the attack patterns very well. mega man 9-10 which was pretty much challenging for me on a normal difficulties.

For Legend of Zelda, Well Link's Adventure was pretty much challenging, but very hard to clear the game.

For NES games, well Startropics 1 was pretty much hard and challenging for me, but I was stuck on the last chapter of the game and haven't cleared the game in a very long time and was able to clear it. Wizards & Warriors 2: Ironsword was a lot challenging.