Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one who DOESN'T like it when videogames are challenging?

Sazama Ichida

(edited)

I cannot fucking believe I'm the only one who finds the Mario games difficult...

You're dead in only 2 FUCKING HITS...And unless you get a mushroom it's only ONE...FUCKING HELL MAN!!!

Because it shouldn't be that hard to avoid damage in the first place. Not to mention the fact that there are literally power-ups everywhere.

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. You want a hard game, play Ecco the Dolphin (I still can't get past the goddamn city of forever) , Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Battletoads, Demon's Souls, etc.

Also, some Pokémon games are quite hard.

Also, in the end, Rare Candies actually make your Pokémon weaker, not stronger. Sell 'em.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is hard? I beat that game in an hour an a half (with the 7 Super Emeralds). Then again, I am really good at Sonic.....

As for Pokémon games, as long as you know your Pokémon they're actually pretty easy. And how exactly do Rare Candies make your Pokémon weaker? The whole purpose is to make them level up.

Edited by Shenron00
  • Brohoof 1

Because it shouldn't be that hard to avoid damage in the first place. Not to mention the fact that there are literally power-ups everywhere.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is hard? I beat that game in an hour an a half (with the 7 Super Emeralds). Then again, I am really good at Sonic.....

As for Pokémon games, as long as you know your Pokémon they're actually pretty easy. And how exactly do Rare Candies make your Pokémon weaker? The whole purpose is to make them level up.

Pokemon works on a whole sub level system of ev's and iv's and a whole mess of things that makes your pokemon really strong, and Rare Candies don't affect them. Leveling a pokemon up using Rare Candies is like leveling up any RPG character without attaching armor and weapons to them; even at their max levels, they're still weak as piss. But it only really matters if you're playing competitive. 

I may have to agree cuz In Original Super Mario Bros. 1, you only take 1 hit if you don't have a power up. If you have a power-up, it takes about 2 hits to die. In Super Mario Bros. 3, It takes about 3 hits to die when you have super mushroom + another power up such as fire flower, and a leaf. In Super Mario World, It takes about 4 hits to die, 2 from power ups, 1 if you don't have a power up, 1 if you're on yoshi, and 2 if you're both on yoshi and don't have a power up, but if you have a power-up item in the item box, you'll replenish those hits back.

As for Pokémon games, as long as you know your Pokémon they're actually pretty easy. And how exactly do Rare Candies make your Pokémon weaker? The whole purpose is to make them level up

That's true, but in 3rd-6th gen pokemon, you need to have EVs which is important to your pokemon and competitive battle reasons and due to nature as well. Rare Candies can make the pokemon level up, but it'll make them weak if they're not EV trained properly. With X/Y's Super Training and Exp. Share mechanics, It's a lot easier, but if you don't use them, it can get challenging like i once did.

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon works on a whole sub level system of ev's and iv's and a whole mess of things that makes your pokemon really strong, and Rare Candies don't affect them. Leveling a pokemon up using Rare Candies is like leveling up any RPG character without attaching armor and weapons to them; even at their max levels, they're still weak as piss. But it only really matters if you're playing competitive.

Sorry, forgot about the EV training and stuff. It's been a while since I played a Pokémon game.

There's different types of challenging games. You've got the cheap ones, you've got ones like Mario and Battletoads which are unforgiving, and then there are ones that make you think real hard, like how to solve a difficult, but not frustrating puzzle. Me, I hate when games are cheap. It's like a fake difficulty.

There's different types of challenging games. You've got the cheap ones, you've got ones like Mario and Battletoads which are unforgiving, and then there are ones that make you think real hard, like how to solve a difficult, but not frustrating puzzle. Me, I hate when games are cheap. It's like a fake difficulty.

fake difficulty ala fetch quests and damage increases to convince you the game is more difficult then it really is?

• Brohoof 1

fake difficulty ala fetch quests and damage increases to convince you the game is more difficult then it really is?

Yeah, pretty much. Also, cheap enemy placement in some games and other stuff.

(edited)

Okay, I can understand Battletoads (the part where you have to dodge the walls while on the bikes is almost impossible), but describing Mario as "unforgiving" is like calling Skyrim "limited" or Minecraft "uncreative" (unless you're referring to Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, which was pretty brutal. How does Japan do it?) Edited by Shenron00
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Shenron00,

Yeah, you're probably just good at sonic. Carnival Night Zone Act 2 was hell. I was stuck on it for years because of that mother-goddamned-barrel.

Edited by Shift

I think it was Neil Druckmann that mentioned difficulty balancing is one of the hardest aspects of design and that if the Easy Mode can't be completed by one player ... they failed. If a game is maddeningly difficult in a fair manner I say bring it on. When poor design is behind the difficulty (Ninja Gaiden and the Swan respawns ... I'm looking at you!) then yes ... time for a new controller.

There are games that I even play to make things absurdly difficult. Ever done the naked run in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? That is the stuff of legend.

(edited)

@@Shenron00,

Yeah, you're probably just good at sonic. Carnival Night Zone Act 2 was hell. I was stuck on it for years because of that mother-goddamned-barrel.

Actually, I didn't even figure that part out on my own. I found a little animation where Sonic and Tails were trying to get past it. Sonic finds the manual which says "To activate barrel, press up and down lawl!" Then his time ran out. I tried it, and it worked...I thought to myself "....WHAT!?" Edited by Shenron00

No.

Personally I love challenges/challenging games, but there are a ton of games where challenges are cheap rather than genuinely difficult

Okay, I can understand Battletoads (the part where you have to dodge the walls while on the bikes is almost impossible), but describing Mario as "unforgiving" is like calling Skyrim "limited" or Minecraft "uncreative" (unless you're referring to Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, which was pretty brutal. How does Japan do it?)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.

>mario, zelda, donkey kong, and fire emblem are hard

BWHAHAHAHA

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. You want a hard game, play Ecco the Dolphin (I still can't get past the goddamn city of forever) , Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Battletoads, Demon's Souls, etc.

Also, some Pokémon games are quite hard. You'll know what I mean if you've played Red/Blue Rescue Team, or Explorers of Sky / Darkness / Time. Darkrai, Dusknoir, The Guild and Primal Dialga were as difficult as hell. And for that matter, if you'd played Platinum / Diamond / Pearl, MOTHER BUCKIN' CYNTHIA. IT TOOK ME AGES TO DEFEAT HER AND HER GOD-FREAKIN-DAMNED GARCHOMP / MILOTIC.

Also, in the end, Rare Candies actually make your Pokémon weaker, not stronger. Sell 'em.

You think Sonic 3 and Knuckles is harder than what I just mentioned? I beat that game when I was only a kid...Got all Emeralds and everything...

For that matter pretty much all of the Sonic games are really goddamn easy compared to the Mario ones. One big reason being you always live if you get hit as long as you have at least one ring. In Mario however you're always gone in only 2 hits.

On a slightly off topic subject, Why does everybody say KH1 Sephiroth is so hard compared to KH2 Sephiroth? Like seriously...

I cant beat him in KH1 but I can't do shit to him in KH2...He's so much stronger and faster in that game it's fucking insane...

And even more insane, How can people possibly find KH1 Sephiroth hard but yet find Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda etc. easy? I am officially mindfucked...

At least you've got a fucking health bar in KH1...But in Mario and Donkey Kong you don't even have that...If you ask me pretty much any boss in any Nintendo game is 1000x harder than KH1 Sephiroth...

Which is also why I hate Nintendo with a fiery passion and stick to Sony. Nintendo has only just now started making their games easier. At least to me.

You think Sonic 3 and Knuckles is harder than what I just mentioned? I beat that game when I was only a kid...Got all Emeralds and everything...

For that matter pretty much all of the Sonic games are really goddamn easy compared to the Mario ones. One big reason being you always live if you get hit as long as you have at least one ring. In Mario however you're always gone in only 2 hits.

Actually that's not true at all. That applied in Super Mario bros. 1 and Lost Levels. In Super Mario World, you die in 3 hits with power-ups which it includes the fortresses and castles and 4 hits if power-ups are applied and while you're riding on a yoshi, but you have an item box that will save you from death. Super Mario 64 (both n64 and DS), Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Sunshine have life meters. Super Mario 3D Land and world have the same death mechanics as Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. In New Super Mario Bros DS, the same mechanics applied as well. In New Super Mario Bros wii, it's the same as Super Mario World as well.

My Advice is that when you're playing games that has difficulties, you want to set the difficulty to easy if you're new to the game which it will make things easy for you and get the hang of the game, but this difficulty is highly recommended to the players that are new to the game. In some games like Persona 3 and 4, The difficulty you picked will be set and can't be changed till you make a new game or have new game+ save data.

For me, Mario games aren't that a problem for me. All I did was take things nice, slow, and steady. For Mario RPG matters like Super Mario RPG, and Paper Mario, All I did was level grind and kept myself well stocked on items and plan carefully. For Paper Mario, All I did was plan my moves and badges. For Mario Kart, there is a difficulty if you're playing vs. mode by yourself, there's an option there that allow you to choose difficulty that you want, but in some mario kart games, you can't set the difficulty on your own so if i'm right, only DS, Wii, 7, and 8 have those difficulties.

On top of it, said game gives you powerups without increasing the difficulty of the levels or characters, meaning after a while, you just steamroll. It's the no risk, all reward games that I find irksome.

Even when I am in the mood for easier games I still don't like any of that stuff, it is the video game equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel which isn't really that much fun.

Wha-wha-wha-wait... You think Kingdom Hearts is easy...!? And straight-forward? :wau:

I've put my heart and soul into those games. I would never call them easy. The story is getting increasingly complex. The bosses are challenging; I can only think of a handful where I beat them on the first try and I didn't feel challenged. In Kh2, I had to fight stupid Xaldin and Xigbar like 13 times each... (oh, and the optional bosses are even crazier...!). Plus they never spell out what to do for you when it comes to puzzles and whatnot - those take a lot of brain power. I distinctly remember watching many vague cut scenes with cryptic dialogue and being like "...............ok what do i do now....?" Those games really make you think.

Plus, right away Chain of Memories came to mind. I don't know about any of y'all, but that card system was one of the most unique challenges a game ever made me endure.

Um, yeah. *steps off of soapbox* But to be more on topic, I don't think it's inherently bad to not seek out hard games... Sometimes a game is just a way to relax afterall, and that's fine! I personally go back and forth between wanting a hard game and just a fluff game, depending on my mood.

I'm guessing you've never played a Mario or Donkey Kong game before have you?

I'm guessing you've never played a Mario or Donkey Kong game before have you?

Actually, I've played several... why does that apply to KH though?

(edited)

You're not alone! I definitely agree! When I play video games, I'm doing it just to relax. Even so 'easy' games like Pokemon, Mario Kart, Kingdom Hearts, etc. can be frustrating themselves. But I guess not enough to bother me to the extent of quitting them. Any more frustrating than that, and I'm out!

Video game achievements don't mean much to me... They're just video games.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, I've played several... why does that apply to KH though?

Cuz the Kingdom Hearts games are so easy compared to those it's not even funny. And for that matter Kingdom Hearts is really easy compared to the Zelda games too. I'd have a much better chance of beating a KH game on Proud Mode than I would of beating a single Zelda game. Cuz the Zelda games are like 10x harder than any KH game on Proud Mode.

Cuz the Kingdom Hearts games are so easy compared to those it's not even funny. And for that matter Kingdom Hearts is really easy compared to the Zelda games too. I'd have a much better chance of beating a KH game on Proud Mode than I would of beating a single Zelda game. Cuz the Zelda games are like 10x harder than any KH game on Proud Mode.

Eh, I guess we just have different interpretations of what's easy and what's not. I have a much easier time beating DK and Mario games, personally. I don't have much experience with Zelda though.