Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one who DOESN'T like it when videogames are challenging?

Sazama Ichida

I have no problems with DKC1-3 and Mario Games. the difficulty for the DK arcade which was the original DK for the NES can get harder at every 100m you clear. Legend of Zelda, well I have no problems clearing them except for Link's adventure.

Me too to an extent, I almost never choose hard difficulty for any game I play, though I do like a challenge sometimes with games like VVVVVV and Portal, and Cave Story was one of the only games I got good enough at to play hard. For the rest I choose normal.

I wouldn't list Awakening as an easy and relaxing game though!

Mario? Zelda? Have you played a game called metroied? This game will make you feel your like a rat in a maze or any of the souls franchises also try beating demon's souls legit good luck on this one

Me too to an extent, I almost never choose hard difficulty for any game I play, though I do like a challenge sometimes with games like VVVVVV and Portal, and Cave Story was one of the only games I got good enough at to play hard. For the rest I choose normal.

I wouldn't list Awakening as an easy and relaxing game though!

I'm guessing you weren't playing on Normal or Casual in Awakening were you?

>mario, zelda, donkey kong, and fire emblem are hard

BWHAHAHAHA

Which Fire Emblem game have you played, Shadow Dragon?

Last I checked, the Fire Emblem series can be pretty grueling. And I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong games a pretty brutal too, especially Donkey Kong Country Returns. Also, I guess I'm one of the very few people who doesn't think Zelda is easy

(edited)

I feel exactly the same, I prefer watching my friends play the tough ones whilst I sit back and enjoy it as a movie :lol:

I like basic/simple games, which is convenient since I only have a GBA SP :D

Edited by Guest

@@Shenron00,

I didn't even know what an internet was when I was a kid, so I was stuck on Carnival Night for YEARS.

And I remember the video you're talking about. Sonic Shorts, if i'm not mistaken. 

I like how you constantly say Kingdom Hearts is easy, yet everytime you do so I am reminded of how cheap Hollow Bastion is (I don't want to imagine being there while Beast is knocked-out...).

Which is strange since I don't consider the Ninja Gaiden trilogy to be overly difficult. Sure, Alma, Doku's ghost and the Ghost Fish can be challenging, but almost every game have some bosses and enemies who are difficult to overcome (and it does make sense that Alma and Doku are difficult).

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.

Oh, we'll you should've said so. I made myself look like a fool for nothing?

@@Shenron00,

I didn't even know what an internet was when I was a kid, so I was stuck on Carnival Night for YEARS.

And I remember the video you're talking about. Sonic Shorts, if i'm not mistaken.

I was stuck for 3 years. Of course, I had to make sure it was true, so I actually checked the manual. Yeah, it's Sonic Shorts. I feel like such a dumbass right now....

Oh, we'll you should've said so. I made myself look like a fool for nothing?

I was stuck for 3 years. Of course, I had to make sure it was true, so I actually checked the manual. Yeah, it's Sonic Shorts. I feel like such a dumbass right now....

Lol, sorry, I didn't think of it at the time.

(edited)

I like something of a challenge. But hordes of enemies is not a "challenge" it's repetitive.

If a game isn't challenging for me, it gets boring.I tend to play through games on "normal" difficulty. Bit of a challenge...but then sometimes I'll go through again on a harder difficulty.

Like, in borderlands, and I play a game with a friend who's a lower level than me,and I just one shot everything, it's boring for me...but I play because I wanna play with my friend.But it helps with completing challenges for my character, so there's a couple upsides to it. Though I've also got characters up to True Vault Hunter Mode and Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.(I think that's what they'e called) And you go through another playthrough of the game with more difficult enemies.

Edited by :Flutterdash:

I don't feel the difficulty is at all relevant to the game experience, rather than a byproduct of the game design. Games like Dark Souls are hard because of the way they designed it, not the other way around.

I do get frustrated when a game is so hard that I can't get past certain things but I never count that against the game itself. It is most certainly my own fault that the game is hard for me and it doesn't detract from the game's quality in any way.

The only thing that matters for me is that I make progress in a game. If I'm not making progress, I stop wanting to play a game. So in that sense, I don't enjoy super challenging games.

On the note of Dark Souls: Those games aren't actually all that hard. It is a game of knowledge more than it is about reflex. The game is most definitely beatable if you have the skill to dodge around but you will have a much easier time if you know things. Know the mechanics. Know how enemies and bosses move. Know where weapons, armor and titanite are. The more you know, the easier the game becomes. There is little in that game that can't be beaten if you know a lot about it. If you're having a hard time with it, read a wiki as you play.

I don't normally condone the use of FAQs on a first playthrough but the Souls games require it for anyone who doesn't have:

1. Skill to make it though anything.

2. The ability to see and understand a lot when they explore every corner of the world.

3. The patience to redo things over and over and over again until they learn the ropes.

If you have even one of these, the game won't be that difficult. If you don't, use a walkthrough or wiki until you've got it down. Dark Souls is like hummus. It's an acquired taste but for some they will love it the moment they beat the Asylum Demon and get to Lordran.

I have nothing against challenging games but I do hate games that are insanely difficult just for the sake of it, or for shock value. I also hate the elitism that surrounds certain difficult games. People will sometimes insult you if you did not enjoy a niche masochism title. Games are supposed to be about fun in my opinion. If one finds those types of games to be fun, that's fine, I just think some of them are a little overrated and some are just flat out...dumb. (Cough*Avgn Adventures*Cough) Again, just my opinion. I don't enjoy really challenging games either.

(edited)

The only games I would play on "Easy" mode would be empire-building strategy games, just to see how big I could build my empire, w/o any sort of interference by the other factions. I like to have control in such games.

Edited by Guest

I'm a pretty "normal" kind of guy, if you give me a difficulty setting, that's usually what I'll pick. I do like being challenged in games, but I don't like being frustrated. Too many games ramp up difficulty in a poor way, like the Elder Scrolls games, where the enemies gain too much HP and do too much damage, it just becomes tedious to play, I hate that. Demon's Souls and the Dark Souls games have excellent balance to me. Very challenging games, but also very fair for the most part. You don't have to cheese challenges to overcome them.

I love roguelike games too, like Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Risk of Rain ect. They're brutally punishing and you die a lot, but the "Just one more run..." nature makes them so addicting to play

Agree that games being too easy can make them boring (looking at you, Nintendo...)

I like how you constantly say Kingdom Hearts is easy, yet everytime you do so I am reminded of how cheap Hollow Bastion is (I don't want to imagine being there while Beast is knocked-out...).

Which is strange since I don't consider the Ninja Gaiden trilogy to be overly difficult. Sure, Alma, Doku's ghost and the Ghost Fish can be challenging, but almost every game have some bosses and enemies who are difficult to overcome (and it does make sense that Alma and Doku are difficult).

Funny you should mention that. Hollow Bastian was actually my favorite world. My favorite fight was against the possessed Riku. That was SO MUCH fun...

Games are supposed to be about fun in my opinion. If one finds those types of games to be fun, that's fine, I just think some of them are a little overrated and some are just flat out...dumb. (Cough*Avgn Adventures*Cough) Again, just my opinion. I don't enjoy really challenging games either.

And you know, that's just the thing. No one can define what's fun to another person. Video games are, by nature, made for fun. Regardless of how you may feel about what makes something fun every game is made with the fun factor in mind. If you don't find a game fun...well that's mostly on you. Some games are made with a certain experience in mind and not everyone is going to find that particular experience fun but it is still the intent.

• Brohoof 1