Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfiction.net vs FIMfiction

Shadowking58

Wattpad is the best. . .

/jk

I FimFiction because A: I've heard bad things about Fanfiction.net , and B: the quality of the fics is overall better because it's one site for on fandom, as opposed to one site for many fandoms.

Though if I were to look for non horse fanfics I would go to Archive of Our Own. It's pretty exclusive and you need to either A: Get invited to post your fics there by someone who already has a membership or B: go through the approval process. 

In terms of quality, Fimfiction wins. Fanfiction.net has no real quality check and as a result tons and tons of fanfics are just awful and cringe-worthy.

As it currently stands:

Horse Fics? Fimfiction

Non-Horse Fics? Archive of Our Own

• Brohoof 1

In general, I prefer FF, but that's because I read fics in other fandoms a lot more than I read MLP fics. The filter system on FimFiction is better, but FF has a mobile site. Also it has the option for a dark background which I find to be easier on the eyes. (FimFiction might have it too, in which case I'm simply a moron for overlooking it).

The only problem with FimFiction is that it only has pony stories. If it took control of Fanfiction and made Fanfiction more like what FimFiction is now, then Fan fiction would be better for having variety.

There are pros and cons to both places. I've had a lot of experience with both of them, so here's my list.

Fanfiction

Pros

* Easy to use.

Some may disagree, but I have never had a problem accessing or searching Fanfiction. It's the simplest thing in the world to post a story there, and frequent site updates mean that any bugs or issues they have get fixed pretty quickly. These guys really know what they're doing.

* Well organized.

For a site that caters to every type of permissible fan fiction out there, it could easily have become a total mess--but it's not. The library is organized by source (Anime, Books, Movies, Games, etc.) with a very efficient search function, and shows you more stories in less space. Because of that, it's just more fun to surf stories on Fanfiction: "hmm, that one sucks, that one sucks, that one sucks, hey this one looks good!" 

* Convenient to other fandoms.

If you've read enough pony stories for today, no problem! You can be reading Harry Potter, Digimon, or (shudder) Twilight in the very next minute. Fanfiction has everything. Some shows and movies have niches there that you won't find anywhere else.

Cons

* Boring design.

In this modern Internet age, Fanfiction's main page looks like something out of 1995: all text, no pictures, few colors. On one hand, it's nice to have a site that is still simple, unpretentious, and totally content-driven. But it doesn't do much visually to draw the attention of new authors.

* Harder to get feedback.

You would think that Fanfiction's larger audience equals more activity and a better chance to get noticed, but it doesn't always work out that way. The site is like a big city with a ton of writers just going about their business, too busy to leave many constructive reviews. In comparison, FIMfiction is like a small town, with comment sections that are more active and more fun to read--though not always more helpful.

FIMfiction

Pros

* Looks great.

FIMfiction has always been a more attractive and visually appealing site than Fanfiction. The fancy layout, the bright colors, the feature box...everything about it screams "modern" and "professional".

* Sense of community.

Fanfiction still has a primitive and disconnected posting system; FIMfiction is far better in this area, with thriving groups committed to every genre of pony story you could want. Everyone is intertwined and feels part of something--a huge plus for all authors, but bronies in particular.

* Exclusive to bronies.

Some of us are still uneasy about using sites where they might find unfriendly users. But FIMfiction is maintained by and for people like us, and that means a lot.

Cons

* Shakier history, with more technical problems.

When I started using it three years ago, the search filter was a disaster. I could rarely find a specific story unless I Googled it, and no search would return more than 20-40 stories at once, even if I searched for something really popular like PinkieDash. It was tremendously frustrating. The search works a lot better now, but in general FIMfiction still has more issues on a daily basis than Fanfiction.

* The screening system.

Don't get me wrong, it could be a pro if the mods consistently followed the criteria they laid down, but the fact that it's done so subjectively means that some good stories will be rejected on a technicality, while a lot of horrible ones (even ones that don't meet "a basic level of grammar and spelling") still get approved.

* Longer learning curve.

I figured out how to use Fanfiction very quickly when I was just getting started on "the Internetz." I joined FIMfiction after 12 years of experience writing online, and their subscription and publishing systems were massive headaches. It took weeks to really figure them out.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Kind of like Fimfiction is more picky/elitist at choosing what they do approve on it, on the Fanfiction goes everything else that is banned from Fimfiction. Fimfiction got rules, man. It easier now because people have an auto approval system, they don't always need to go through the very long process of a human approval system, 

Edited by Rabit2017

I've only ever written on FIMfiction so I have no idea how the publishing system works elsewhere. As a reader, I prefer FIMfiction. I like the general interface better and it's more of a community than simply a gigantic collection of fanfics divided into fandoms and crossovers. The focus on a single fandom (with some crossovers here and there) makes the site feel so much more tight-knit.

Also... edgier stuff seems far more likely to find its way onto Fanfiction. Like @Rabit2017 said above, if it's banned from FIMfiction, you can probably find it on Fanfiction.

Haven't been on Fanfiction for a very long time, but even when I was a regular in the mid 00's, the site was rather dated in presentation and organization. Fanfic is very bare bones and is pretty loose about categorizing. And grammar. 

I pretty much read exclusively MLP these days. And Fimfic is not only the best site for MLP stories, it's the best designed website for fanfiction, period. 

The creators were very forward thinking when they came up with how things would operate. 

Though I do like what Archive of our own are doing and trying to make a lasting site dedicated towards preserving and defending fanworks. 

There is another thing Ive seen authors do, they will upload the same exact pony story on both websites simultaneously. I  am not really sure that I understand the logic in that? If you want to write stories about ponies then FimFiction is still better choice for that, and fanfiction is just for everything else the non pony staff

• 5 years later...

I like both websites, fanfiction.net is for fanfiction in general whereas FIMfiction.net is exclusively for MLP related fanfiction.

There are some features on FIMfiction.net that I wish all fanfiction websites had (including fanfiction. net) like groups to be a part of and put fanfics on, blogs, and it's own reader where a voice can read fanfics to you.

I actually have an account on both websites however I've only published on fanfiction.net, but not on FIMfiction.net yet.