Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

autism and the brony community

Jonquil Earthpony

:) being autistic myself; I wonder what the brony community's opinions are on autistic bronies/ pegasisters ?

I say this because I have noted some haters say that bronies are all autistic and things like " autism is magic". :wat:

it doesn't offend me but, I wonder what people think when they are called autistic (and all variants) for being a brony/pegasister ? do people think autism is a really negative thing ?

derpy_hooves_front_view_by_killer_dash-d

• Brohoof 5

I laugh at them because they're trying to be offensive and failing.

The few autistic Bronies I've seen and talked, such as yourself, flightless-Pony2, aren't even offended by it, so why should I be? They can think I'm autistic all day for all I care, no sweat off my back at all.

• Brohoof 9

As I have some asperger's, I think it's a dumb insult. Even dumber than "gay." But I wouldn't be offended if someone called me that as I would laugh at them for being so stupid enough to go for such an uncreative insult. Also they have no idea how many cool people actually have autism themselves, like Isaac Newton.

• Brohoof 6

I have autism myself, and I hate it when people use as another word to mean "stupid," or "dumb." They use it like it's any other saying, and that frankly pisses me off the utmost degree. 
All autism is is a social difference, and that's really it. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@, @, @@(MARVEL) Blue Blood,

lol, being an EMT i like asking people what does "autistic" and "having the aspengers syndrome " means and what are the "simptoms" of those "deseases" to them (noticed the " ")

i like the fact that no one yet, nor my self, have the correct "answer" to those "questions"

if i was in America i would probably diagnosticated some form of light authism or adhd or some other shit, while here in Italy no one gives a damn until you can actually tell that  (that means that the person is not self-sufficent and can't formulate a coherent logical thought) 

so if anyone uses that as an insult... they are basically insulting themselves for their ignorance

and i am done here

Edited by Doc. Volt
  • Brohoof 3

I've actually found that the Brony fandom is the best way for autistics to become more self confident. I know, because I am one of those people. I've never felt so welcomed among people whose names I don't even know. Insulting autistics, however, doesn't bother me as much as people who think we're disabled. When people are trying to be considerate they forget we are just as smart as anybody, just in a different way. Of course, that's my own personal feelings. Nearly everyone I know is a great friend to have.

• Brohoof 2

I'll just quote myself on something I said in a similar thread.

I don't have Aspergers, but I have ADHD.  I know, I know, totally different, and lesser of a diagnosis.  

But still, having random hyper-impulsive behaviors can be bothersome.  Even with meds, though it helps some, I still have my random outbursts of impulsive behaviors.

I'm not at all trying to say it's even close to being of the same degree, I promise.  I just wanted to contribute to the thread.  

I find it utterly ridiculous at the way people are so insulting of autism, aspergers, etc.  People just have no respect.  These things have nothing to do with intelligence, potential, so on...

But sometimes, you just gotta turn the other cheek.  I was bullied for my hyperness in junior high and high school... Thank God that people aren't so disrespectful in college.  My advice is, don't take that crap personally.  Keep your head up, your futures will show you brighter days.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

People using autism as an insult makes me pop a blood vessel, since when did being autistic automatically make you an idiot? And yes, I have aspergers syndrom. 

Edited by A goat
  • Brohoof 3

Autism should never be an insult. In reality, there were a lot of famous people who were autistic in their time. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is one of those people.

And autism is already present in 1 out of 70 people... including me. 

• Brohoof 1

Autism should never be an insult. In reality, there were a lot of famous people who were autistic in their time. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is one of those people.

And autism is already present in 1 out of 70 people... including me. 

I've also heard Bill Gates is speculated to be autistic. So these people who waste their time cyberbullying on their computer should know who is the founder of their OS' creator.

The same could be said for Isaac Newton, Einstein, and so many others.

• Brohoof 2

Unfortunately, it is a common insult among those that like to come up with such pitiful personal attacks. Of course there are people with autism in the community as there are in society overall. If society can start to oppose such name calling then it can someday fall out of favor.

As someone with Asberger's Syndrome, I never understood why or when autism became an insult and synonymous with "stupid". I'm just socially awkward and gets easily hooked to things that interest me. I fail to see how that equals as stupid.

Those who use atism and autist as insults are probably just troublemakers who wants attention and/or reactions.

• Brohoof 2

Coming from someone who has high-functioning autism, I laugh at whoever uses it as an insult. It's amusing to see someone think that autism is slang for stupid, especially if they "learnt" that word from ignorant haters. It's much fun to laugh at haters than feel offended that they used a condition as an insult.

This sort of thing will unfortunately won't ever end, but it's nothing you should worry about. This is the Internet, after all. :P

• Brohoof 2

I don't have autism, but I have no problem with those that do. In fact any person I've met with autism is a better person than just about anyone I know in real life. They're pretty cool and sweet people based on the ones I know. Most seem completely normal actually. I wouldn't even guess that they have it.

Now the fact people call bronies that...I don't think it's much of an insult. Just people using a word wrong, because there's nothing wrong with autism. As some have said it's basically their new word for "stupid." Yet any autistic person I know is more intelligent than a good portion of the classes I had this year. So I just ignore what is apparently an insult. They need to look in the dictionary again.

• Brohoof 2

I don't have anything against Autistic people, but i guess some confuse autistic people to be less intelligent because they usually tend to communicate less with other people. Maybe kind of like how the word "dumb" means 'A person that cannot speak', but people use it as 'stupid'. 

(edited)

I myself have Aspergers :0

Tbh insults about autism i really consider quite a pathetic thing to do, they intend it to be some sorta "stupid" sorta insult or such but thing i find really funny is, Doing autism jokes .....really says a lot about the person, Their deliberate Ignorance throwing the joke about like it's some sorta thing that makes them "OH SO COOL AND SCARY OMG" but it just shows how stupid The person using the insult really are cause they don't at all have a clue what autism really is, and for that reason that's why i never really would get hurt if someone was to make fun of my aspergers cause really, such a pathetic act.

But guys we must remember even if we see past it, from experience these things can still be very harmful

when i was in high school (i didn't know i had aspergers at the time) i used to get called mongo and all that stuff, and the differential treatment lead me into believing i was "very dim" and "defective", and that is very poisonous thinking, gladly i got out and are getting stuff right (i'm gonna be at college being an art major :] ) and my case will prolly be very minor compared to what others will get.

so even if it doesn't hurt me or a good few others, Still gotta remember it's gonna hurt someone and it's in nasty intention.

anyhow if this post was wrong lemme move on :0

So The Brony/Pegasister/MLP Community i found from my travels is very very good, extraordinarily welcoming and i feel it'd be a fantastic place for people that were in my situation to come, also i noticed when i was in college in a class for helping people with aspergers or autism or other getting into college life, i found that MLP was very very popular :]. which made me very happy (i was the first one in wearing a MLP shirt lD), so yeah :D, I would say MLP was a great thing to get into in general and the fandom.

and you know what, The most rad people i've been with in college or primary or high school was that group of kids from college with aspergers and autism.

and the worst was the nasty high school kids.

And hey I hear a lot of how much dislike the MLP fandom gets, and how much stigma is attatched to that.

Well lemme throw this up in the air even if it's controversial.

You know sports fandoms?, Football mainly for me, Why do i hear very little to nothing about them,

yet i found that fandom to be the most Hate Driven,Unloving,Violent,Hateful,Unwelcoming,Bigoted,Nastiest,Most damn downright HORRIBLE fandom i've seen, and though i will say it's not everyone in it, but that's what i've seen and experienced, yet i just hear nothing about them and then giant bouts of bad about the MLP fandom, i rest my case.

and i'll say, MLP Fandom yes will likely have bad people in it, and sports fandom will likely have good people in it, but from my travels that's my experience so i wont really change my statement from what i've seen.

anyhow i was getting quite emotional there so if i've made a hash of it then ye.

anyhow to end up on short.

I think MLP and it's fandom is a wonderful place for people with autism or aspergers or anything other, kind welcoming all that, and would say it's a great thing for people to get into.

and if yer wondering about sports, I'm a Real Madrid Fan :], But i'm the one that wants to be friends and talk with other fans, Unlike the majority that want to go and fight with the other fans :<.

and i hope this post was at least okay :<.

Edited by EllieTheFuzzy
  • Brohoof 4

do people think autism is a really negative thing ?

As someone who has gone through a lot of bullying because he is on the Autism spectrum I can say unfortunately yes. If you ask me it is a bit of a double edged sword, you have the severe cases which are obviously bad and the higher functioning ones where you barely even tell like me for example of course I think most people with Autism fall somewhere in the middle and there are cases where some can move up with the rights treatments. My case used to quite severe with me having constant tantrums, severe behavioral problems and nasty sensory issues along with difficulties interpreting social cues and language delays but I did of course advance to that higher point though it sure wasn't easy.

Alot of these trolls though don't mean what they say but just feel the need to troll people because of their own personal insecurities which is pathetic.

The few autistic Bronies I've seen and talked, such as yourself, flightless-Pony2, aren't even offended by it, so why should I be? They can think I'm autistic all day for all I care, no sweat off my back at all.

I am, and I am not someone who usually gets offended by trolls spouting nonsense. I am because it reinforces all of the misconceptions about Autism which does a great deal of harm to people on the spectrum and their families. Your average person has an incomplete picture of the Autism spectrum some people when they think of Autism they think of some kid who can't talk and screams all day long at the slightest provocation. And yes there are some of the Autism spectrum who are indeed like that, I once was that screaming kid but there are some others like myself today where most people can't even tell. I still have challenges though, I can still misinterpret certain social cues which has gotten me into some trouble at work a few times and a boss who is a tone deaf asshole really dosen't help matters. And I can still get sensory overload and melt down though it dosen't happen nearly as often as it used to, the scary thing is it has happened at work a few times.

I don't have autism, but I have no problem with those that do. In fact any person I've met with autism is a better person than just about anyone I know in real life. They're pretty cool and sweet people based on the ones I know. Most seem completely normal actually. I wouldn't even guess that they have it.

How obvious a case is depends on where someone is on the spectrum, more severe cases tend to be more obvious but of course you have cases like the ones you mentioned that is indeed the case with me as well where it is not as obvious. "But you seem so normal" is one of the most common responses I get when I tell people that I am on the Autism spectrum but they are even more surprised to find out that wasn't always the case with me. I find that when I tell my story it gives a lot of people hope and it is why I am so outspoken on these matters. I want the next generation growing up to have it easier than I did just like I had it easier than the generation of the likes of Temple Grandin who grew up in the 1950's when crackpot theories like the "refrigerator mother syndrome" where it was believed that Autism was caused by cold and indifferent mothers were commonly accepted. Today there are new crackpot theories but I suppose that is a topic for another day.

Now I must know. Where in the world did this insult originate?

Many people on the Autism spectrum are known for having obsessive/unusual interests and trolls got a hold of this and decided to make a complete mockery of it by callously turning it into a cheap insult. A lot of people on the Autism spectrum struggle with balancing their interests in healthy and socially responsible ways, I myself had to go through this so oversimplifying something like this and making it an insult is one of the biggest things I take issue with in this insult that should never have become one in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

Well, let's see...I myself have autism, so obviously my opinion on all of this would be super whatever.

But seriously, I know a few Bronies who I guess have autism, and they are really good friends to me, so my opinion is that autism is really great for the fandom, mostly because autistic people can see the world in such a way that no one else can. At least, that's my guess on it.

• Brohoof 1