Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

autism and the brony community

Jonquil Earthpony

Coming from someone who has autism, I find the whole "All bronies are autistic" thing kind of offensive. They're implying that it's bad to have autism. Seriously, on the internet, autism has become the new gay or retarded for unnecessary insults and it's not even that funny. 

• Brohoof 1

Coming from someone who has autism, I find the whole "All bronies are autistic" thing kind of offensive. They're implying that it's bad to have autism. Seriously, on the internet, autism has become the new gay or retarded for unnecessary insults and it's not even that funny. 

Utterly ironic because the haters who say things like that in efforts to dehumanize bronies often don't realize they are dehumanizing themselves in the process.

(edited)

I would ask them what was so wrong about being autistic. Autism is a serious matter, may it be mild or not.

I'm not autistic, but I do in a sense have an autistic uncle. He is 23 years old...he had straight A's all his school life, and got a letter from the pres for them too. He can go to any college he desired!

If anti-bronies think that calling people "autistic" is considered dumbing you guys down, they damn well remember that most autistic people are smarter than your average Joe.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, turds. (anti-bros).

Edited by ~peachie weirdo~

No. I don't know what autism does. But I think people are born with it so you can't help it so I'm not gonna hate you for it.

A healthy approach, and it is a difficult disorder to grasp. Even today there are several completing theories as to how neurons and genetic mechanisms present in the manner in which they do. The shear scope and range of the spectrum, along with co-morbidity makes it not only hard to study and isolate, but even harder to understand for a layperson. One person who is high functioning may have symptoms different than another individual who is high functioning.  

• Brohoof 1

A healthy approach, and it is a difficult disorder to grasp. Even today there are several completing theories as to how neurons and genetic mechanisms present in the manner in which they do. The shear scope and range of the spectrum, along with co-morbidity makes it not only hard to study and isolate, but even harder to understand for a layperson. One person who is high functioning may have symptoms different than another individual who is high functioning.

Thanks for the discription.
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know much about autism but I don't have problem with people having it. I think thar joking about it is bad because it's creates negatavie opinions of it.

(posted this before I saw the description)

Edited by Sonicrainboom97

Here's the thing: technically, autism is a medical diagnosis. These days, however, it seems there a "mental health" diagnosis for everyone and their mother.

I view the autism spectrum (I'm "diagnosed" as having Aspberger's syndrome) as more of another complexity and facet to add to one's personality.

These days, the majority of society is filled with careless, judgmental idiots with nothing better than to criticize others for being different.

If you think about it though, it's just another thing that makes each and every one of us unique. There is no real correlation between being a part of the herd and any sort of "mental health" diagnosis. We're all human beings, and we all have free will. We can choose what we want to believe in, what we want to enjoy, and what we want out of life. If someone wants to take that way from you, then they aren't worth your time.

Edited by Smash N Dash