Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Research Study

SCS

Well, I am not attending bronycon (I thought it was on the east coast this year?). But as I live in Washington, I should be able to give her a call. Whatever excuse I can find to tell more old war stories.

• Brohoof 1

(I thought it was on the east coast this year?)

It's always on the east coast.  It's in Baltimore, Maryland this year and that's where Bronycon will likely be for the foreseeable future.  Southern California was mentioned because that's where the professor running this study lives and works, so she's offering to meet people there sometime after the convention as well.  Or you can do a phone interview.

Anyway I'm set up to do an interview along with a few friends of mine at Bronycon.  Definitely looks like it should be interesting.

• Brohoof 1

It's always on the east coast.  It's in Baltimore, Maryland this year and that's where Bronycon will likely be for the foreseeable future.  Southern California was mentioned because that's where the professor running this study lives and works, so she's offering to meet people there sometime after the convention as well.  Or you can do a phone interview.

Anyway I'm set up to do an interview along with a few friends of mine at Bronycon.  Definitely looks like it should be interesting.

It was just that the wording in the original post had made it sound as if bronycon was also taking place in southern california, thus the large scale confusion about it in the thread.

• Brohoof 1

I've done a few online brony surveys in the past that have been organized by third parties in education, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to help out with this one.  Things are just a bit too busy right now, what with moving into my new apartment and getting ready for grad school.  Still, I hope their survey goes well, and it's quite exciting and an honor that they chose to contact MLP Forums to help out with this project!  Best of luck to anyone who participates; represent us well guys!!!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

Guessing there's not a way to participate if you're not attending BronyCon. 
Yeah, you can either do a phone interview or meet with the Doctor in Southern California according to the first post. 
  • Brohoof 1

Sadly I live on the other side of the country from Cali and too far from Baltimore to attend BronyCon or I'd setup a meeting. And I have a hard time understanding people on my phone half the time, plus the thing is just hard to have extended conversations on since it's so thin.

If there was a Skype/Kik/similar option I'd be up for that, has anyone else asked about doing so that way yet? I'd hate to bother them with an email asking about that if someone else already has.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

applejack_notsureifserious_display.png

I almost feel like there a running gag going on that I'm not privy to. :D

There are three ways to take the survey.

1. In person at BronyCon in Baltimore Maryland

2. In person in California where the university (Fullerton) is located

3. Via phone wherever you live.

You will need to email them to initiate any of the above options and work out the details and time.

Some specifics regarding qualifiers and length

You need to be 18 years or older

The survey will be appox. one hour long

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 2

I'd really like to help, this sounds really fantastic^^ but I'm not sure if I can... I'm pretty good at English but I don't think I could handle an interview, and a long distance call costs... Are there some ways to answer the questions via e-mail? If not, that's alright... I'd really like to hear the results anyway^^

• Brohoof 1

.... Why would they want to "research bronies" does that really make any sense?? I mean its just a bunch of people who began liking a show and pomf there you are. Are they going to do a research on any other fandom out there? I mean come on its not that big of a deal that people like this show >.>

• Brohoof 1

.... Why would they want to "research bronies" does that really make any sense?? I mean its just a bunch of people who began liking a show and pomf there you are. Are they going to do a research on any other fandom out there? I mean come on its not that big of a deal that people like this show >.>

Basically this. I'm tired of people thinking we're so different from "normal" people just because we like a show.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Basically this. I'm tired of people thinking we're so different from "normal" people just because we like a show.

Lmao thank you... I mean hell they could do a research on the "star wars fandom" or w/e you know. People are silly they make a big deal out of things that are no way serious at all :P.

P.s. Star wars rules

Edited by Lucky Dice
  • Brohoof 2

Lmao thank you... I mean hell they could do a research on the "star wars fandom" or w/e you know. People are silly they make a big deal out of things that are no way serious at all :P.

P.s. Star wars rules

They have researched Star Wars fans and in general nerd culture. In fact there was a comparative study between the average Star Wars fan and Star Trek fan. Oddly enough there were distinct lines of demarcation with some of the personality types. Anyhow ....

The Brony fandom deserves study for these reasons ... printing press ... Marconi ... Bell ... Cronkite  ... Comcast ... Social Media

Give me one fandom that exploded in the public consciousness with the use of new media being coopted by the consumers themselves. Bronies aren't a way of life or a cause ... but we are a harbinger of group celebration in the foreseeable future.

Human civilization is being changed but the way information and entertainment is being shared. This is part of that.

Edit

Did it. 10/10 would discuss again. Seriously, they need more respondents.

• Brohoof 4

i need somepony help the file the dr cara sent me is a pdf file i cant open it and sign it i need someone to send me the file in ms word . any help would be greatful.

i need somepony help the file the dr cara sent me is a pdf file i cant open it and sign it i need someone to send me the file in ms word . any help would be greatful.

You should be able to open that using Adobe Reader. If you don't have it and you use Windows, you can download it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=10

• Click "Adobe Reader 11.0 - Multilingual (MUI) installer"

• After you install the program, try to update it within the program itself if at all possible. If that doesn't work, you can download updates for it manually on that same page under "Updates/Programs."

You should be able to open that using Adobe Reader. If you don't have it and you use Windows, you can download it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=10

• Click "Adobe Reader 11.0 - Multilingual (MUI) installer"

• After you install the program, try to update it within the program itself if at all possible. If that doesn't work, you can download updates for it manually on that same page under "Updates/Programs."

tried but i need to sign it and that does not work i need it in a word document

• Brohoof 1