Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Qualifies As A Bad OC?

Midnight Gaze

(edited)

If an OC has absolutely no flaws or shortcomings, is perfect by every definition of the word, and is incredibly powerful (i.e. more power than Princess Celestia), that makes him/her a bad OC in my book. Now, I don't really care for race in determining if an OC is "bad": if a user wants to create an alicorn, that's fine by me; just having an alicorn OC does not automatically make him or her a bad OC. Sure, alicorns may be predisposed to falling into "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" territory, but digging deeper and looking at said OC's personality, backstory, and abilities to see if (s)he truly qualifies as a bad OC never hurt anypony.

Edited by skbl17
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Is there really such thing as a bad original character?

Alicorns

Kidding!

I honestly don't believe there's such a thing as a "bad OC".

An OC is made by you, for you, unless there are other circumstances involved. It's apart of your imagination, your creation skills. It shouldn't matter if others think it's good or bad, what truly matters is that you like it. ^^

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well, what about the ponies with broken horns and ripped ears for no reason? (I don't really have a problem with them, but they receive hate too.)

Edited by Midnight Gaze

Well, what about the ponies with broken horns and ripped ears for no reason? (I don't really have a problem with them, but they receive hate too.)

If they have a reason then I think it's fine. But without a reason it's weird. (I have a reason for mine that I will write)

Bad OC? Oh yea.

Pretty much any Alicorn OC...as the're seen as OP most of the time. Or Characters with horrible colour coordination. And other characteristics that wouldn't make it fitting for the FiM universe.

Then there's Mary Sue OCs that are just like...bleh.There's nothing interesting about them. 

I also find having any relationship (romantic or not) to a canon character (mane 6 or not) to be rather cliche/Mary sue like...and I'd consider that a bad OC as well. I mean an OC is an"Original Character" meaning they have no relation to a canon character.

• Brohoof 1

For some reason, just because people think having their OC's meet the characters off the show or is a hybrid, they think it automatically make them a mary sue which is what I hate and I personally think is completely stupidest thing I've heard. So what if they meet the show characters or a hybrid. I'm just starting think people like to bitch, find fault, and be dicks just for the sake of it.

Bad OC? Oh yea.

Pretty much any Alicorn OC...as the're seen as OP most of the time. Or Characters with horrible colour coordination. And other characteristics that wouldn't make it fitting for the FiM universe.

Then there's Mary Sue OCs that are just like...bleh.There's nothing interesting about them. 

I also find having any relationship (romantic or not) to a canon character (mane 6 or not) to be rather cliche/Mary sue like...and I'd consider that a bad OC as well. I mean an OC is an"Original Character" meaning they have no relation to a canon character.

Some said the colors of my OC is horrific once and I don't know why. First of all, that is dumb once again and all the same colors can't keep getting re-used. Maybe same colors with different shades, but not repeatedly, so you can't hold that to them. I honestly think there isn't anything wrong with my OC's colors.

I may seem picky on the subject, but personally I don't like any OC that can't justifiably fit into the show (ie, colours that deviate too much from the shows palette, ridiculous non-canon parts of their appearance like broken horns, crazy proportions and crazy coat patterns, overly perfect or overly dark back stories/personalities). Just my opinion though.

• Brohoof 4

Um. If it's a mary sue. I don't have a problem with one if it's not. In fact I mean you can have an alicorn, but as long as they're not a mary sue then you should be fine.

But forget what everyone else says! If you like your ponies over powered or not, then who cared what everyone wants! It's your OC.

@@Echo Narcissa,

It was a response to the title; 'what qualifies as a bad oc' and 'if there are bad ocs'.

Sorry if that was unclear. 

the Qualifications of a bad OC

- make it an Alicorn

- ship your OC

- give it no back story

- use the Pony Generator and have the public decide your OC

- make your OC evil just cause which follows into the third one

- make them a Mary Sue

these are what you want to avoid

• Brohoof 1

Oh, it's okay.. I was just curious because I thought you were talking about my OC or trying to say something to someone.

What is exactly wrong with making it an alicorn, shipping it, and making it evil?

- make it an Alicorn

- ship your OC

- give it no back story

- make them a Mary Sue

What is exactly wrong with making it an alicorn, shipping it, and making it evil?

(stupid thing)

(stupid thing)

nothing is wrong with making it evil I said making it evil JUST CAUSE so giving him/her no back story to why they are evil my oc is neutral so I can't say being evil is bad

as for Alicorn the Alicorn race does not exist only Alicorns in the world are gods only four are in the world

as for shipping I maybe wrong because my friend told me what it ment he said it meant taking to ponies and have it be there child if I'm wrong then I will scratch that out because I based my OC off of Snowdrop

as for shipping I maybe wrong because my friend told me what it ment he said it meant taking to ponies and have it be there child if I'm wrong then I will scratch that out because I based my OC off of Snowdrop

Shipping is having any sort of relationship with any of the canon characters in the show, y'know your OC is sister of Pinkie, or Scootaloo is your daughter or your OC is dating Twilight, or you have a kid with Rainbow Dash. Stuff like that. If your OC is dating/married to/relative of another OC that's totally fine.

- make it an Alicorn

- ship your OC

- give it no back story

- make them a Mary Sue

how does having an alicorn OC automatically make it a Bad OC? Is it because alicorns are supposed to be "rare"? FYI: There were an entire race of alicorns other than the Princesses, according to the Journal canon. So someone having an alicorn OC can be totally legit and not make it a bad oc

• Brohoof 3

Shipping is having any sort of relationship with any of the canon characters in the show, y'know your OC is sister of Pinkie, or Scootaloo is your daughter or your OC is dating Twilight, or you have a kid with Rainbow Dash. Stuff like that. If your OC is dating/married to/relative of another OC that's totally fine.

oh that makes since well it still qualifies as a bad OC its creative I give them that but your OC is suppose to reflect to you meh opinions I guess

nothing is wrong with making it evil I said making it evil JUST CAUSE so giving him/her no back story to why they are evil my oc is neutral so I can't say being evil is bad

as for Alicorn the Alicorn race does not exist only Alicorns in the world are gods only four are in the world

Well, okay then... if you say so.. everyone has their opinions.

Yeah, but is there such thing as a "Justifiable Alicorn?" Princess Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight Sparkle are the Alicorn rulers of Equestria. What about the other countries? Wouldn't they have an/some Alicorn leader(s), too? Sandal Arabia was mentioned in one of the episodes, and they probably would.

how does having an alicorn OC automatically make it a Bad OC? Is it because alicorns are supposed to be "rare"? FYI: There were an entire race of alicorns other than the Princesses, according to the Journal canon. So someone having an alicorn OC can be totally legit and not make it a bad oc

*sigh* I came here to express my opinion not be antagonized its opinion based if you don't agree with me that's fine I'm not saying to agree with me