Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you had the ability, would you try to get surgery to live forever?

BronyPony

57 users have voted

1. 1. Would you put your brain into a machine body to live forever?

• Yes
    • No

I don't see how it would be against the laws of thermodynamics.

I read the article, and reading farther the author replies with a solution to solving the problems that exist with the 'Big Crunch.'

From what I read, it seems a continuous Big Crunch would not be possible, but a finitely going one is possible.

Think of it this way

In discussing the Oscillating Universe model, astronomers speak of a “closed” or an “open” Universe. If the Universe is closed, theoretically the Big Crunch could occur, and an oscillating Universe becomes a viable possibility. If the Universe is open, the expansion of the Universe will continue and the Big Crunch will not occur, making an oscillating Universe impossible.

From what I've read the general consensus among astronomers and astrophysicists, is that the universe is open.

Of course they could be completely wrong, the Big Crunch theory is certainly interesting, and very plausible if the model is indeed closed.

(edited)

Why not?

I'd live to watch humanity progress, perhaps even see us colonize the moon or another planet, fulfill my lifelong dream of going to space, and when I got sick of it, I'd just pull the plug.

Edited by Omega Centauri
  • Brohoof 1

Yes I would. I'm a scientist at heart like twilight, and would love to see the progress of life. I would miss my close one very dear being very emotional, but pain is temporary. It may last for a few minutes to years, even decades. With enough time any wound will heal.

• Brohoof 1

It's on my bucket list!

I don't think there's an afterlife so there really isn't much to lose. I don't fear death, but it's very much undesirable. I want to continue experiencing life and watch ourselves evolve as a species past a single lifetime.

Knowing me though, I'd probably end up bricking myself from playing around with my software.

• Brohoof 1

It's on my bucket list!

I don't think there's an afterlife so there really isn't much to lose. I don't fear death, but it's very much undesirable. I want to continue experiencing life and watch ourselves evolve as a species past a single lifetime.

Knowing me though, I'd probably end up bricking myself from playing around with my software.

Especially if you try rooting your software to get more access to more powerful capabilities in your own body. 

Maybe there could be an option for pony bodies.  :squee:

Hellz yeah I would. Eternal life would be the best thing ever if it were possible.

It is not an 'if', it is a 'when.'

purely based on two factors

1. would I still age?

Immortality is cool but dear god, if I still grow old from it then by the time I live long enough, I'll hardly have the ability to observe and remember human progress, If I stay at my current age then sure!, I'd not be bothered, Its just the fact of being useless to the world that I fear.

2.Will I become some celebrity.

Honestly I'd hope not, nothing you need more than seeing most of human progression through the camera lens of a journalist. I wan't to punch a lot of them most of the time anyway so don't get me close to one!

But yeah, it's be awesome. totally screw with Vsauce :P

1. would I still age?

Immortality is cool but dear god, if I still grow old from it then by the time I live long enough, I'll hardly have the ability to observe and remember human progress, If I stay at my current age then sure!, I'd not be bothered, Its just the fact of being useless to the world that I fear.

If you have a robotic body, you have no problem with that. You would probably just need replacement parts with your body every so often.

the very idea of living forever seems horrible to me, not to mention the personal things one would have to deal with like watching everyone around you die while you have to live on.

but, i do have to wonder how technology would advance after my death.

it just depends on so many factors, really not an easy decision.

No no no no no

Unless you give me a Tardis there is likely no forever in the universe. It will collapse again, or become a lifeless cold place of star dust unable to go through accretion to form any new stars.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to have the ability to live as long as I wanted, but I would never want complete immortality.  In other words, I would only want immortality if I could choose to end it whenever I wish.  Truly living forever would, imo, be the worst form of hell imaginable.  After long enough (thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of years), you just wouldn't be able to take it anymore.  One would need to find rest and peace eventually.  Imagine if you were Superman.  I.e. completely invincible, and you could surivive in space.  On top of that, imagine that you don't age.  Eventually, the Earth would crumble to dust, and you'd be left floating in space, adrift and alone.  No thanks.  But living for a good long while might be nice.  Like, a few thousand years or so.  I think this story sums up my whole idea on immortality perfectly.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/125/1/the-circle-of-friends/chapter-1

Even though you put your brain on a machine body you you're still not immortal. Your mind is but your body isn't. Also having a robotic body is very weird for me :P

Also after some long long years you will die anyway because the sun will became a red giant and humanity on earth will seize to exist. Though, It's a yes and no for me,but tilting to No. Yes because I want to see how the world progresses and how the human race further evolve as a species. No because, It's a voluntary process by wich mean it depends on the person if they want to do this or not. IT will be a lonely life to see your most closest friends and family die in front of your eyes and I really can't live with that.

Yes! I want to discover mroe about the universe, and see mroe scientific breakthroughs!

One of my main issues with death is that I'll never understand elements of this world, and see what happens next.

• Brohoof 1

Plop my brain in a terminator and make me a cyborg. Sure, I'd love to live forever. It's not like I have any real attachment to the people around me. I wouldn't mind surviving though generations, seeing civilizations rise and fall, to look into the flow of time yet remain untouched by its harsh hands. I'd live somewhere secluded and tell adventurers of the things I'd seen. I'd also play video games of my own creation for fun.

So few attachments in this life.... I would take the chance to keep going for as long as possible. Life BEFORE Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before (Final) Destination. Keep going, keep doing, until the last possible moment. Life is in the struggle.

• 5 years later...