Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Sunset Shimmer have potential to be better than Twilight?

TheMarkz0ne

After reading the comic annual and her backstory, I felt bad for Shimmer. She isn't evil anymore thanks to the new trailer for Rainbow Rocks. But when you read the comic origin for Shimmer, I view her as a mare that simply didn't know the consequences of her actions and the harm she could have done. In my opinion, she deserves the title of an alicorn princess at her current state. I love Twilight of course, but Twilight needs a well defined rival.

Better than Twilight? In terms of her character, it's possible (heck, I kinda like Spike over Rainbow), but in terms of being an alicorn princess, but might be too late for her.

I prefer Shimmer as a character over Twilight. I always felt like Twilight was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

I prefer Shimmer as a character over Twilight. I always felt like Twilight was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

Well, in EG1, Twilight didn't ask to be rivals with Shimmer, she just was because she had to protect the crown from being misused. And she was nice enough to share her friends with her too, instead of simply leaving her to think about her actions. Although I haven't read her backstory yet. And I think "being born with a silver spoon in her mouth" is a little far. Sure, she was born in Canterlot, but she was never truly happy until she discovered the magic of friendship, and through her actions, she's demonstrated that she's more than deserving of that.

The difference between Twilight and Shimmer is that Shimmer ran off, while Twilight fulfilled her destiny. Sunset was chosen by Celestia, just like Twilight was, so she had the same opportunity, but didn't see things her way.

Not saying she's a bad character, she was just misguided, and she did reform. I am interested to see what happens in the new movie.

Nah, isn't Shimmer staying in that other world anyway?

But then she should really be given another chance, seeing how Discord helped with almost destroying equestria and was forgiven.

Well, as it stands, Sunset lost her chance to become an alicorn AND a princess, but in terms of her character, she has the potential to really become the TOP character in EG, IMO.

I mean, she is esentially the repentant sinner. She had the power to control the entire world and was fairly close to doing that until the elements stopped her. Now she has to make up for that and live with the stigma forever.

So yeah, I think she has PLENTY of potential!

I like the new Sunset Shimmer too! There's something that's just so cool about characters going from bad to good. Luna and Discord are two examples of that.

But Sunset better than Twily?  :o  Nope.

Yes, but probably not.

I dunno yet whether Sunset Shimmer was truly redeemed after her defeat, Trixie sure wasn't.  :wau: No amount of influence, ability magic or otherwise will make Shimmer better than Twilight, unless she gains the virtue and integrity that Twilight has. In short, Twilight has gone through much more experience than Shimmer has, She better understands concepts like pain, trust, has superior judgment, and most importantly has a better grasp of friendship and her role, which may sound cheesy but actually makes a big deal.

While the case may be made that Shimmer's experience of loss and suffering may help her, it seems based upon her character these experiences would just blind her in her pursuit for vengeance and power. 

To be better than Twilight, Shimmer actually has to be a more developed, driven and learned person, which she isn't. 

>Assuming Shimmer isn't already better than Twilight Sparkle.
Seriously, it does all come down to potential. Shimmer could have been an amazingly better character(near Discord levels) than she was if her redemption was performed the slightest bit different. Specifically, if it had any trace of emotion attached to the scene. Instead of a game of toss composing the majority of the fight scene, I imagined it in a Shi Fu vs Tai Lung style scene: Sunset Shimmer coming through the mirror and one shotting Luna and Cadence. She then throws down with Celestia in between bouts of conversation that reveals exactly how she feels about Celestia's treatment of her in the comics. Celestia refuses to fight back, and Shimmer's confused as to why she has so much power but doesn't use it. Twilight and co. show up and she explains to her that there's something more important, right before she takes a friendship cannon to the face. After she gets up, Twilight gives her the choice to change or be alone, and offers her her hand, which Shimmer accepts. The rest of the story could have preceded as normal. *sigh*
Essentially the greatest let down to SS was ending up in Equestria Girls. But anyway...

Now she has a chance to redeem herself. Honestly, she needs her own movie to have Twilight level potential; I get the feeling she'll be pandering to Sparkle for a good majority of EQG2. She absolutely needs to talk to Celestia too at some point; until then, she'll never be a full character. Let's just hope Hasbro really has a heart for her.

I don't think she has to be compared to Twily. With her appearances in these clips from Rainbow Rocks, there's a lot of potential for Sunny to grow as a character, but she doesn't have to do it the same way as Twily, nor becoming a princess, Sunset is Sunset, and Twily is Twily, she found her call, Sunny can find her own

No, she's far from Twilight's level (I guess?)

I have heard from fans that Sunset Shimmer is a jerk. Is that true? (I haven't seen an episode with her yet.)

She has never appeared in an episode yet, she has only appeared in Equestria Girls.

• 4 years later...
On 7/27/2014 at 8:21 PM, Adachi said:

Well, in EG1, Twilight didn't ask to be rivals with Shimmer, she just was because she had to protect the crown from being misused. And she was nice enough to share her friends with her too, instead of simply leaving her to think about her actions. Although I haven't read her backstory yet. And I think "being born with a silver spoon in her mouth" is a little far. Sure, she was born in Canterlot, but she was never truly happy until she discovered the magic of friendship, and through her actions, she's demonstrated that she's more than deserving of that.

The difference between Twilight and Shimmer is that Shimmer ran off, while Twilight fulfilled her destiny. Sunset was chosen by Celestia, just like Twilight was, so she had the same opportunity, but didn't see things her way.

Not saying she's a bad character, she was just misguided, and she did reform. I am interested to see what happens in the new movie.

True. 

On 7/28/2014 at 10:32 AM, Princess Pinny said:

I have heard from fans that Sunset Shimmer is a jerk. Is that true? (I haven't seen an episode with her yet.)

No, she used to be until Twilight Sparkle gave her another chance and now she's good. 

On 7/28/2014 at 4:36 PM, Jammo said:

Potential? Yes. But a 0.000000002% chance of getting there is still "Potential".

I agree with you there. She certainly does have the potential, but very slim. Then why do you think she sprouts firey phoenix wings near the end of the song "My Past is Not Today?" Maybe she is an alicorn, but we don't know for sure.  

Ehh... no. I'm not sure any pony is better than Twilight. Think about how bad equestria would be if Twilight just... disappeared. I think Sunset is cool though... i like her more than EG Twilight... but not OG Twilight.

• 1 year later...

703d998cf09e7e00aa8f5b57171dc5b4.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                     

This is not fair. If princesses don't need to have common  sencse then it is acceptable with sunset

• 1 month later...