Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you deal with trolls?

Boxxi The Brony

I don't know if I've posted in this topic before... Oh well.

In the past, I've been pretty terrible at dealing with them. Figures, I never could just ignore IRL bullies either.

I just remember, all they ever had to do in the past was, in their insulting of me liking/playing the bassoon, was misspell the word in some way, and that really set me off. xD It's funny to me now.

Trolls on here or on the internet in general? 

On here, haven't encountered many trolls. I just ignore them. Someone will report them eventually.

On the internet in general...same approach. I might fight back or not but I can be a hothead sometimes too ;) 

• 4 years later...

I find that the best way to deal with internet trolls is to ignore them. They want you to get angry or upset, they feed off of that stuff, so to tell them to go away or to get upset at them only makes them go after you more because it sends a message to them that they are getting under your skin.

I just ignored them and if there’s any mod available, I’d take it over to them to deal with it.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what they're doing really. If I have any sort of control, I just boot them out and go on about my day. If I don't have any control, like in a game for example, I usually mess with them by not taking the bait and responding with something different. Sometimes I just reply with "<3" to really piss them off. Not taking the bait and responding is always fun and sets them off. Sometimes hilarity ensues.

I rarely go out of my way to participate in something, usually limiting myself to make an opinion and be on my way. As such, I rarely deal with trolls.
However, it’s true they advise ignoring them, and it works most of the time, but I found out that having a good sense of humor works wonders and backfires spectacularly against them. I got about three anti bronies insulting our beloved pastel horses, but engaged them with satire, and they always end up messing up one way or another, like using slurs :mlp_yeehaa:.

but the one I am most proud off is a review of the Grinch Stole Christmas. The review was done in rhymes, but some whinny trolls started doing shenanigans. How did I respond? With rhymes of course :proud:. I had a blast with that one  :ButtercupLaugh:

I may have answered this topic before, but I usually ignore what I believe is a troll. If I want to respond, I may give a succinct response. It could be for a humorous effect. I don't believe I ever report them.

The point of trolling is to elicit a response, probably one that is both really serious and overzealous. I try to keep that in mind if I ever think someone is trying to push my buttons.

Trolls, like internet e-mail spammers, you just ignore them, and make sure you don't touch their stuff (since in case of emails, they get notification you saw them even if you just moved the mail to trash). It might take weeks, but then they are gone.

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

As a former troll myself...just ignore them, they aren't worth your time.

But if you have no other choice, beat them at their own game.

Way more fun that way personally  :fluttershy:.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Depends on what they are trolling about or "where they are trolling", but ultimately they are pathetic clout thirsty creatures that need to use other people's vulnerabilities for relevance, it's funny that 3/4 of them are anonymous to, but when people are brave enough to transcend from troll into bully I let them have it, stay anonymous at least that's cute in its own pathetic kind of attention seeky way...

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I command them.

Because I have some scores with some left people. One day you may realize that all the teen stuff (even in brony fandom and especially in it) around you is getting politicized. From this moment, these people aren't just freaks from another blog\community\Discord-server, they are real enemies.

I find it sad. But I'm not afraid of confrontation. Last person who tried to teach me about modern liberal mainstream in rude manner got punched in face. People can ban me, cancel me in the community. But in real life they haven't enough power to stand their ground. I'm not proud of it. But I can't let stupid people shape the living space around me. Violence isn't the way? Oh, boy it is. Mom teached me to make new friends, to solve the problems by conversation. But... We're all know how this world work like. There are the people who don't want to be friends. Wild hyenas. 

"Offense is the best defence". So... Fix bayonets!

For example, one of moderators just followed me without any reasons or explanation (like "you're interesting person, man"). I feel strange vibes from her\his\whatever account. Like she\he\whatever is one of them. Spying by the gaze from high ground. An God's eye. It's not about, y'now brony stuff. Collecting the information, watching my steps, waiting for my moves, mistakes... it creates tension.

Edited by Sturmponiere

I slapped this person and stared him down in front of others. That was enough. He started crying and calling me a psychopath. He wasn't wrong. But I had been patient with him during two months. He took my passivity the wrong way, though. I feel this radio silence when someone attacks me. I cannot find the words. And the stress starts building up inside of me until it is too late. It is a problem that comes with my debilitating condition. Impotence.

Even then, I didn't hurt him. When I could have done just that. I've seen the brutality of normal people during fights. But I always felt bad for him.