Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how do you feel about teachers

Luna 831

I actually want to become a teacher. And I want to become one to help teens and childeren learn about something that means a lot to me.

I also see that a lot of people seem to say that its all the teachers fault when a child doesn't learn correctly, and that teachers use shouting and that that isn't good for the child. Well, if you warned someone for 10 times, and they still don't pay attention, then it isn't the teachers fault. Being a teacher is not an easy profession, and sometimes we also need to take a look at the child and how he is behaving, and not just at the teacher

That is so awesome to hear! :) I know when I was in highschool I knew that was the path for me.  I loved art class so much and my teacher let me 'have the class' for the day and i got to feel how awesome it was to share your passion with students!  There is nothing like seeing that spark in a kid's eye as they catch on and enjoy learning new things (especially if it is something that you really care about!!!) :yay:

• Brohoof 1

That's also one of the reasons I want to become a teacher. I know that there are a lot of childeren who might hate the thing I want to teach (history) but if I can just inspire one child, then it will all be worth it

• Brohoof 1

That's also one of the reasons I want to become a teacher. I know that there are a lot of childeren who might hate the thing I want to teach (history) but if I can just inspire one child, then it will all be worth it

History! :)  My other half is a highschool history teacher.  He has found that he has the most success when he really digs down into the story aspect of what he is covering.  Really make the topic relatable and stuff it full of human feeling to get the kids to understand the motives and timelines.  I just think this topic is so important for school because it can (depending on the teacher) make students more aware of the world they are living in and ultimately instills a sense of pride for how you as a person, got here :)

I appreciate my teachers, especially the ones who legitimately care. My teachers except for a select 2 or 3 have all been this way, therefore, I generally appreciate all teachers.

I find teachers to be essential for society.  Are there bad ones?  Yes, but you can find these in all professions, as well as good ones.  I am studying to become an educator, myself, and I hope to be one that positively effects every student that I can.

• Brohoof 2

Oh please don't go towards that route of debate. I have had teachers that I had paid attention to their class all the way through and they sucked. Don't give my crap saying the student is always the problem. Sometimes, it is the teacher that is the problem.

I'm not denying that it can also be the teachers fault. Believe me, I also had a fair share of bad teachers. (You know, the kind of teacher that does nothing to prepare a lesson and never explains anything)

I'm just saying that in these times people are so fast to blame the teacher for being bad, while it comes from childeren who don't pay attention at all. I know someone who is always chatting and never pays attention. He gets a 4 (in Holland we work with a scale from 1 to 10) and then he is complaining that the teacher sucks. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not denying that it can also be the teachers fault. Believe me, I also had a fair share of bad teachers. (You know, the kind of teacher that does nothing to prepare a lesson and never explains anything)

I'm just saying that in these times people are so fast to blame the teacher for being bad, while it comes from childeren who don't pay attention at all. I know someone who is always chatting and never pays attention. He gets a 4 (in Holland we work with a scale from 1 to 10) and then he is complaining that the teacher sucks. 

I recognize both happen. I thought your argument was it was always the students' faults.  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I recognize both happen. I thought your argument was it was always the students' faults.  :blink:

hahaha XD (this site doesn't let me make things shorter then 20 characters, so that's the reason for this long text)

Edited by ponytheorist

• 5 years later...

They are underpaid and underappreciated, and really deserve more than they get. I mean the good ones here, and not the ones who just hand out worksheets and make you work out of the book... That's not even teaching, that's just shoving worksheets in the people's faces, and not to mention most of the time they're absurdly easy and don't teach anyone anything. Like half of the class will pretty much just do nothing for half of the period... :dry: No wonder almost everyone in my CLASS failed the History STAAR sophomore year... They aren't taught ANY OF THIS. They just look through the pages of a f***ing textbook and COPY THE ANSWER DOWN. How can you fail, when you're essentially allowed to cheat?

But rant about the bad teachers aside, the good teachers who really try to teach kids stuff and have ACTUAL LECTURES, and don't just do that, well, they really deserve better. Kids treat them like $#!+ (Mainly the bad apples, but in general the kids really don't seem to respect them), they get paid like $#!+, and they really do SO much for society. Of course I'm talking school teachers here, because college professors are a little bit of a different story... They are pretty much the opposite case...

Edited by AngelDustlicious

Teachers are great and unappreciated (some but most)

Now college.... professors (some but most) are money grabber, a tool for the university to make money out from the students who needs to retake the courses, and who just left their students to die in a ditch. The FCQ that students have to take at every end of the class semester is utterly bull crap and useless. In fact where I come from, most good professors who actually cares and teach often gets fired because students passing rates are high.

Why we have such a bad professors? One reason is they tend not to listen to what their students have to say due to their arrogance just because they’re entitled as “doctor “ or “Professors.  And two, the system is just as bad forcing the professor to limited themselves from teaching or helping students learn. In other words, making the course harder when it shouldn’t be just for the sake of having student to fail and retake course. Why? Because simply money. 

I wish education doesn’t have to get treated like a business bull crap. 

Teachers with an ego are the worst. I have had a few of those. They do care about teaching, but they are always right about themselves, and if you don't agree, well... You will suffer. And I mean, you can show that you don't agree by just looking at them in a specific way, say something wrong, or just being yourself.

• Brohoof 1

I actually got really lucky with my school system growing up. I feel like all of my teachers (with the exception of maybe two or three) actually cared about us and were teaching because they wanted to, not for the money or anything. With the exception of one of my seventh grade teachers (whom nobody liked), they were all really nice, too. Most of them even made friends with the students, and they got called by their nicknames more than their actual names. The art teacher at my high school is named Mr. Gibson, but everyone just calls him Gibby. He's a really funny guy. Then there's the physics teacher (cool guy, not a great teacher). We just called him by his first name, Jimmy. My English teachers in high school were all super nice (it helps that I had the same teacher sophomore and junior year), and I think my English teachers sophomore/junior and senior year were my overall favorite teachers. I'm excluding my band teacher because there's not really much teaching for him to do, but he's a cool guy, too. We're expected to know everything about music by the time we get to high school, so all he really does is conduct and give a playing test two or three times a year.

Now, college professors, on the other hoof, are g-a-r-b-a-g-e. Out of who-knows-how many teachers I had, only two seemed like they cared about more than the paycheck (my band and English teachers. I'm beginning to notice a pattern). A few of them barely knew the material they were "teaching." I probably could have looked through the notes before class and been more familiar with it than them. None of the students care, either. I probably put in about as much effort as the average kid just cruising through, only doing like half the homework and studying only the night before tests, yet I still finished the year with a 3.7. If you don't smoke weed in your room and set of the fire alarm at 3am, and you don't go to parties every night, college isn't hard. People are just stupid. College is a crazy place.

This turned into a rant about why I hate college :derp:

Most teachers are wonderful and extremely underpaid/underappreciated. I hope that one day teachers can be truly appreciated for all the hard work they do for their students. :coco:

However, there are some so bad that I really don't understand how they're still teaching to this day (*coughs* my current math prof *coughs*).

• Brohoof 2

I've never really seen eye-to-eye with any teacher that I've ever had in my life (including my own mother) as, admittedly, my work ethic is sub-par, and I don't respond to orders that well. That said, I also appreciate that they're just doing their jobs, and so even when I get into a little bit of a tussle with one of them, I'm sure to never make it personal, unless of course, they make it so first.:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid at school I had some good teachers and some bad ones, the good one's you would try to do your best work for because you liked them, the bad one's you just had to try to do your best work in order to spite them.

Generally though now I've long left school and grown up, my views of teachers are generally neagtive as a lot of them come across as overpaid moaners who have little grasp on real life. A lot of them leave school go to university and then go back to school again as a teacher and never see anything outside of that environment.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud