Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ebola Virus Discussion

Simon

Even in an outbreak area, if you are careful with your hygiene and avoid the urge to lick other people, you are unlikely to get it. It's a hellish disease to contract, but it's almost as hard to get as HIV.

Honestly, y'all need to calm down. The Ebola virus is fairly simple to contain if all the appropriate quarantine measures are taken. It's spreading in Africa due to different rituals there. We don't have said rituals in the US or anywhere else. So, it should be fine.

• Brohoof 4

So I was watching the news today and apparently a research lab in Ames, Iowa has developed a prototype vaccine that's so far been 100% effective at preventing Ebola in primates. So there's that.  :lol:

(I live, like, within 50 miles from there.  :squee: )

• Brohoof 1

I know i posted here before BUT

We are FINE guys,The Ebola virus is deadly yes, but this certain strain is 50/50 dears. plus it's a poor transmitter it's only vector being human saliva,blood,Urine(Don't quote me on that) Feces and semen.  the North America and Europe/Asia are rich countries with shoes/clean streets and health care,Don't worry none. 

Edited by UnbreakableHeart

e="Red Cedar" post="2968815" timestamp="1407877739"]Even in an outbreak area, if you are careful with your hygiene and avoid the urge to lick other people, you are unlikely to get it. It's a hellish disease to contract, but it's almost as hard to get as HIV.

Lick other people? Lol I dont think any sane person would ya wont just go upto some stranger and start licking em would ya? We arent dogs however even though this thread is quite the fear driven one that was a funny comment. Also this thread is awful. Understandable but just awful for this forum. In this dark time spread cheer not fear.

Lick other people? Lol I dont think any sane person would ya wont just go upto some stranger and start licking em would ya?

Uhm... OF COURSE WE DON'T? Yeah, I've never randomly licked a stranger... I'm normal! (Sneaks out of the room) 

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Honestly, y'all need to calm down. The Ebola virus is fairly simple to contain if all the appropriate quarantine measures are taken. It's spreading in Africa due to different rituals there. We don't have said rituals in the US or anywhere else. So, it should be fine.

Its sadly not just really rituals. Starving people do stupid things like ignore the government. The same government that states this would happen. (The same gov that told them specifically to, ya know, not eat from the forest. Or bats.)

Its easier said than done to quarantine when idiots are too scared to rationalize that they should.

I would only worry if t started to be called Captain Trips, or Tube Neck. Here's a tip. If it all falls apart, I'm going to find Mother Abigail! I WILL NOT go to Las Vegas! 

Seriously, I am not letting the overzealous media put me in a panic. 

Lol. The virus is about 170 miles up North, and I ain't even scared. Although apparently, a student at my university was on the same flight with someone who had the virus :wacko:. He has no symptoms, but is currently being quarantined.

I've heard you can only catch it by direct contact with the fluids.

I'm no medic or anything, but wouldn't that only mean to touch blood, spit, etc.?

Although, I'm not saying it sounds completely non-lethal. Because something like coughing and all the spit gets into the air. So no, I don't think it's the worst thing ever, nor would I underestimate it.

I'm just being kind of skeptical here. 

Also, everyone at my school is making Ebola as a joke. Can I just say that IT'S NOT FUCKING FUNNY?

• Brohoof 2

at least 2 nurses have already caught it in america from taking care of that guy who brought it over here.  and the guy died, even with all our modern medical technology, and the nurses caught it even without our great american hygiene.  

@, Yes they did, and then they shipped those two nurses to opposite sides of the country. So you know, the disease can spread from three spot on the US now. Seriously, our government is stupid, besides why wouldn't they stay at their own hospitals? Oh yeah, it was because they didn't feel safe being treated at their own hospital. Our country is screwed.

at least 2 nurses have already caught it in america from taking care of that guy who brought it over here.  and the guy died, even with all our modern medical technology, and the nurses caught it even without our great american hygiene.  

I don't know about the guy, but from what I have heard the nurses were in contact with the patient. Therefore they were most likely in contact with the fluids of the patient. Contact with the fluids means contact with the infection which means chance of infection. Therefore so long as you don't go sticking your face in someone's cough you should be fine

The US will be fine.  We're more than capable of stopping something like this from happening, especially if we get someone else in charge of the CDC.

Uh isn't that primarily in South Africa? You know, a country without nearly as many vaccinations & disease control as the US? I think that it is a *bit* of a stretch to say we will see a huge amount of deaths in the US caused by the Ebola virus...

One - Africa is a continent, just like Europe and Asia.

Two - The virus problem is primarily in the western area, in the nations of: Liberia, Nigeria, Sierre Leone, and Gambia.  (I think there may be one or two more, but I don't care enough to remember).

The US will be fine.  We're more than capable of stopping something like this from happening, especially if we get someone else in charge of the CDC.

One - Africa is a continent, just like Europe and Asia.

Two - The virus problem is primarily in the western area, in the nations of: Liberia, Nigeria, Sierre Leone, and Gambia.  (I think there may be one or two more, but I don't care enough to remember).

I meant South Africa as in the Southern Area, which apparently I was wrong on that, my mistake. However my point still stands, Africa isn't as technologically advanced (not racist, just being honest) in terms of America, and so long as we make sure to stay focused on NOT PANICKING and avoiding the vomit, pee, blood, etc of an infected person, we should be fine

I meant South Africa as in the Southern Area, which apparently I was wrong on that, my mistake. However my point still stands, Africa isn't as technologically advanced (not racist, just being honest) in terms of America, and so long as we make sure to stay focused on NOT PANICKING and avoiding the vomit, pee, blood, etc of an infected person, we should be fine

Then you should've stated southern Africa.  South Africa is a specific nation, and nowhere near where the cases are at.  But yes, you are correct about the advancement in medicine.