Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ebola Virus Discussion

Simon

Then you should've stated southern Africa.  South Africa is a specific nation, and nowhere near where the cases are at.  But yes, you are correct about the advancement in medicine.

Ok, ok, I made a mistake in my wording, it happens. World studies were never my strong suite, and I won't try and lie and act like I am somehow above making mistakes

Dude, people at my school have basically turned Ebola into a joke. Like just today at my lunch table someone said that they should sacrifice someone at the school to get Ebola just so they wouldn't have to go to school. Really? It's like making a cancer or AIDS joke, it's not funny. In fact, it's really tasteless. 

Well, seeing as anyone in America caught with the symptoms gets instantly quarantined, I'm pretty sure we're fine. Plus, I saw a news video today that hospitals across the country are more prepared in case it comes to their states.

• Brohoof 1

this is why i keep my window closed but i haven't caught it yet because i be online indoors all day XD

You do know that Ebola only transfers through bodily fluids? That means no more kissing, sex, or blood donations for you! Not a life in your bedroom.

I would worry about Ebola but I think it's far too mainstream, I'm still rocking Bird flu.

You do know that Ebola only transfers through bodily fluids? That means no more kissing, sex, or blood donations for you! Not a life in your bedroom.

There is a joke that could be here no doubt.

Though, I do feel like people are instantly jumping to the worst possible scenarios that could happen. Even if the chances those scenarios could happen are pretty low. And it's also causing a bunch of fake news stories. Like there a news story confirmed fake that someone in a town near me got Ebola. Again, it was proven to be a trick to scare people in my area.

Dude, people at my school have basically turned Ebola into a joke. Like just today at my lunch table someone said that they should sacrifice someone at the school to get Ebola just so they wouldn't have to go to school. Really? It's like making a cancer or AIDS joke, it's not funny. In fact, it's really tasteless. 

This might be because I do have a somewhat dark and politically incorrect sense of humor, but I disagree. If a joke, considered by others tasteless or not, is said at the right time and place, is well-said, and is not overused, I would find it pretty funny, no matter how serious the subject.

• Brohoof 1

This might be because I do have a somewhat dark and politically incorrect sense of humor, but I disagree. If a joke, considered by others tasteless or not, is said at the right time and place, is well-said, and is not overused, I would find it pretty funny, no matter how serious the subject.

At my school, it is overused so much to the point where it's lost all shock value.

• Brohoof 1

At my school, it is overused so much to the point where it's lost all shock value.

Yeah, mine too. Kids at my school has made Ebola some sort of overused, unfunny running gag to use all the time.

*pokes* "You got Ebola!"

*teacher mentions Ebola* "Ebola!"

"Hey, did you get Ebola today?"

and more.

Seriously, I hear this everyday. Ebola is gradually becoming less funny to me because of these people.  :eww:

Edited by qwertyasdf
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah, mine too. Kids at my school has made Ebola some sort of overused, unfunny running gag to use all the time.

*pokes* "You got Ebola!"

*teacher mentions Ebola* "Ebola!"

"Hey, did you get Ebola today?"

and more.

Seriously, I hear this everyday. Ebola is gradually becoming less funny to me because of these people.  :eww:

Basically it's like an overused meme or telling the same joke over and over again.

NO! i'm asking this with the upmost respect, SHUT UP ABOUT EBOLA! that means everyone. I choose to ignore it and you should too! What my teacher said about ebola," You have better chances of getting aids than ebola." word 4 word. *sigh* Just please stop talking about it and it will go away, like how I handle all of my problems :angry:

If we ignore Ebola-chan's love it will go away?

073.jpg

But in all seriousness, if you really want Ebola to be done with, ignoring it is not a solution. Ebola does not feed on attention. It's a freaking virus. While I do think that the media and people panic too much about Ebola, completely ignoring it altogether is, as I said, NOT a solution. Attention to the virus is required to take proper precautions, to help develop a vaccine, and such to stop Ebola in its tracks. Duh. If nobody cared about Ebola, it would be spreading significantly faster than it is right now and more people would be dead.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know about the guy, but from what I have heard the nurses were in contact with the patient. Therefore they were most likely in contact with the fluids of the patient. Contact with the fluids means contact with the infection which means chance of infection. Therefore so long as you don't go sticking your face in someone's cough you should be fine

the guy was the patient.

i'm sure they had masks on to not be eating his coughs, since he was in quarantine.

the guy was the patient.

i'm sure they had masks on to not be eating his coughs, since he was in quarantine.

Oh well in that case yeah, that makes a lot more sense lol. And masks aren't perfect, plus there is always more than just coughing, I just meant for YOU personally (and anyone else who is just going around on their day to day life) that so long as you don't want to try and get it avoiding coughing is a good start. The nurses could have been in contact with blood, mucus, puss, waste... Much more than the saliva from a coughing fit, and that stuff will get past a mask

"Ignore the incredibly deadly disease that is killing millions of africans and has chances now in the USA, ignore all precautions to avoid it, ignore all news about where it is,stop wasting resources in vaccines, IT WILL SURELY GO AWAY LIKE THAT, cause obvs diseases crave attention to survive."

It's killing millions indeed

"Hey, this disease killed a few thousand people in a place where poverty and poor hygene condition are quite common. ZOMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE"

Not saying that it's not a dagerous disease, that no one died from it (or that no one should care about these deaths) or that you should go and lick off someone's spit off the floor, but still. 100 bits say that they're going to come out with a vaccine in a few months from now, so they can sell it and wait for the next "ohmygosh so terrible so deadly disease" that will endanger the human species

Edited by External Project
  • Brohoof 4

People are always talking about the negatives of the situation without looking at the reasons why Ebola may not blow out of proportion.

Ebola originated from South Africa. There're still people IN South Africa, and America/UK easily at least triples that countries population. If Ebola can't wipe out a poor country of a moderate population, there's a more than high chance that it won't come close to doing it with two wealthy countries with, at the very least, decent health care. Ebola is dangerous, but if South Africa can survive it, I'm pretty sure we in the US and UK can as well.

Not to mention that, if it goes over to Canada, it a'int gonna make it out of the first hospital it's discovered in.

Edited by Geek0zoid
  • Brohoof 2

People are always talking about the negatives of the situation without looking at the reasons why Ebola may not blow out of proportion.

Ebola originated from South Africa. There're still people IN South Africa, and America/UK easily at least triples that countries population. If Ebola can't wipe out a poor country of a moderate population, there's a more than high chance that it won't come close to doing it with two wealthy countries with, at the very least, decent health care. Ebola is dangerous, but if South Africa can survive it, I'm pretty sure we in the US and UK can as well.

Not to mention that, if it goes over to Canada, it a'int gonna make it out of the first hospital it's discovered in.

I think I said that ages ago lol, but the point still stands; If a country that has this disease fairly commonly in it's people, has less medical technology, and is much more common to get ill in still is kicking, a more modern place will indefinitely survive

Oh well in that case yeah, that makes a lot more sense lol. And masks aren't perfect, plus there is always more than just coughing, I just meant for YOU personally (and anyone else who is just going around on their day to day life) that so long as you don't want to try and get it avoiding coughing is a good start. The nurses could have been in contact with blood, mucus, puss, waste... Much more than the saliva from a coughing fit, and that stuff will get past a mask

I AM a nurse.  XD I have every reason to be scared.  And those patients are out in public before they go to the hospital, and the nurses go home after treating them and out in public, so lots of people can easily be exposed.  

I AM a nurse.  XD I have every reason to be scared.  And those patients are out in public before they go to the hospital, and the nurses go home after treating them and out in public, so lots of people can easily be exposed.  

...Quit your job? :D Well that's why we have precautions. Personally, despite not being afraid of Ebola, I am certainly taking care to avoid anything that might end up making me ill, and if someone is sick (even if I have to sit next to them) I scootch away as far as possible. While, yes, they are out and about, that does not mean that you are indefinitely going to get it and even THEN Ebola is not a 100% fatality rate. More people have died from long dead diseases and even modern ones (though the more modern ones usually are because idiots don't want treatment), so I STILL am not overly worried about this

• Brohoof 1

...Quit your job? :D Well that's why we have precautions. Personally, despite not being afraid of Ebola, I am certainly taking care to avoid anything that might end up making me ill, and if someone is sick (even if I have to sit next to them) I scootch away as far as possible. While, yes, they are out and about, that does not mean that you are indefinitely going to get it and even THEN Ebola is not a 100% fatality rate. More people have died from long dead diseases and even modern ones (though the more modern ones usually are because idiots don't want treatment), so I STILL am not overly worried about this

lol, if it comes to my town, I might quit XD money is not worth dying over.

More people have died from other things, because it's been kept in one place for so long, and the other diseases have been widespread. 

It's a very high mortality rate with no cure.  Almost no hospital in america is prepared for it, since it has never been here before, and most people know nothing about it.  You won't for sure get it being around the infected, but I don't like taking the risk at all.  They should have been more careful with the people coming here from infected parts of Africa by testing and having them quarantined before being allowed to board the plane, but they didn't, and now we have it here when it could have been completely avoidable.

lol, if it comes to my town, I might quit XD money is not worth dying over.

Now if only big business could learn this...

More people have died from other things, because it's been kept in one place for so long, and the other diseases have been widespread. 

It's a very high mortality rate with no cure.  Almost no hospital in america is prepared for it, since it has never been here before, and most people know nothing about it.  You won't for sure get it being around the infected, but I don't like taking the risk at all.  They should have been more careful with the people coming here from infected parts of Africa by testing and having them quarantined before being allowed to board the plane, but they didn't, and now we have it here when it could have been completely avoidable.

Well... The Black Plague killed 2/3rds of Europe, and while that IS more widespread when you compare Europe (focusing in on places like England, France, Germany, etc) the overall size of the 2 is not too different.

Honestly, due to human nature, the disease would have gotten here SOMEHOW. Humans tend to be very stubborn creatures, and I don't feel it is right to blame others because a couple of morons decided it was a good idea to come over here with the sniffles

Lastly, while no hospital is CURRENTLY prepared for it, thanks to modern technology we have MUCH quicker reaction times to stuff of this caliber, so we can move quicker to quarantine and avoid further infection. So I have faith in people learning cautionary methods quickly

Honestly, due to human nature, the disease would have gotten here SOMEHOW. Humans tend to be very stubborn creatures, and I don't feel it is right to blame others because a couple of morons decided it was a good idea to come over here with the sniffles

Lastly, while no hospital is CURRENTLY prepared for it, thanks to modern technology we have MUCH quicker reaction times to stuff of this caliber, so we can move quicker to quarantine and avoid further infection. So I have faith in people learning cautionary methods quickly

Someone is definitely at fault, since they knew this was a huge problem and allowed it to spread worldwide instead of keeping it isolated.  It's not some common flu, it's a deadly disease that almost no one is even prepared to deal with.  I don't think you understand the severity of this.

The hospitals NEED to be currently prepared, so we can stop it before it gets more out of control.  The problem isn't not having enough quarantine space, it's about not having trained professionals that are trained specifically for ebola.  Technology can not help with that, you need pure human brainpower and education.  It can't happen quickly.

Someone is definitely at fault, since they knew this was a huge problem and allowed it to spread worldwide instead of keeping it isolated.  It's not some common flu, it's a deadly disease that almost no one is even prepared to deal with.  I don't think you understand the severity of this.

The hospitals NEED to be currently prepared, so we can stop it before it gets more out of control.  The problem isn't not having enough quarantine space, it's about not having trained professionals that are trained specifically for ebola.  Technology can not help with that, you need pure human brainpower and education.  It can't happen quickly.

Calm down, calm down, I DO understand the severity of this. I am trying to say that it is the person who got infected's fault, not the people in charge, though they should tighten security up more after this

Now not having enough trained person's IS the fault of the people in charge, that I will not deny. But what I meant was that information can spread quickly now, allowing people to better understand how to handle this. What WON'T help is this panic everyone seems set on sharing, panicking won't stop the virus hell it might help it SPREAD!

Hopefully, we won't be. Just be cautious, and don't go to that hospital with an overflow of Ebola patients.

To add, hopefully is likely. Just don't panic, and don't be stupid. Really stupidity seems to spread it. It comes from bodily fluids, not the air we breathe. Or else (logic) we would have all died a LONG time ago.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper
  • Brohoof 1