Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Long Hair Appreciation Thread.

Derpaholic

I get a lot of shit on a weekly basis for having long hair.
I'm a guy, and because of some absurd reason or another, this is socially unacceptable and automatically makes you some sort of a pussy, not-a-real-man, a tree-hugging hippie, or gay. (I'm definitely a pussy and a tree-hugging hippie myself, but that's beside the point.)
This thread is all about smashing these illogical and absurd claims and generalizations.
Here, the long-maned members of the MLPforums can share caring and styling tips, and just talk about- and appreciate long hair in general.
Hope to find others who share my enthusiasm and take pride in their hair as well.

• Brohoof 9

I hated the day I had to cut my long hair. It was fairly long at the time, down to my shoulders I believe. Buuut because I never took care of it, it ended up getting knotted to hell, so I had it cut. :(

That was a long time ago however, now it's more or less back to the way it was, and I wub it. :wub:

Haven't gotten any flak for it either, not that I can remember anyways. My grandma jokes about cutting it sometimes, but that's about it. :P

• Brohoof 2

I'd say I'm a bit of a hippie. :P But uhmmm... My grandma has always tried to make me cut my hair once it surpasses a certain length, whereas I've always loved it longer like it finally is again now. :/

She'd always say that having long hair would somehow turn me gay... (Because hair and sexuality have a huge correlation to each other right? -.-) And yeah, unlike me, she's extremely anti-anything other than straight and all... (amongst many other biased beliefs she has. :/)

I try to just ignore talking about it now though with her, and it seems that even though she disapproves of my hair and all, at least she seems to allow me the freedom to choose for myself whether to get it trimmed or not now. :yay:

• Brohoof 2

I'm a long-haired female myself, but I've always been the most attracted to men with long hair. Long hair just looks ridiculously gorgeous on men. I always instinctively double-take when a guy with long hair passes by in the street.  ^_^

Re: Hair care. Slathering long hair in 100% virgin coconut oil (the kind you find in food isles, not hair care isles) is awesome for keeping it silky. I use it as a sort of monthly-ish hair treatment, keep it on for around an hour, then shampoo and condition it out. 

• Brohoof 6

My grandfather is the manliest man I know, and not once, in my whole entire life, have I seen him cut his hair. Look, if you can take care of it and rock it, then honestly who cares? As a female, I have shorter hair, but that's because my hair tends to become very oily without a shower EVERYDAY. I have tried everything and it doesn't work. I was never a fan of my once long hair and so in high school I cut it off and never looked back. My grandmother almost cried but she came to terms to it eventually. It made me feel better and she understood.

So if longer hair is your thing, ignore the naysayers and rock that hair you were born with hun! :please:

Edited by Quartz
  • Brohoof 6

I'm female with really thick curly and course long hair. You could call me a hippie too.

But in all honesty I'm so entranced in a guy long hair- sometimes it depends on the style (I'm not super sure if you mean like mullet long or just bangs long hair) but It's usually so beautiful~ (To all the guys with long hair- I just want to pet it and floof it)  :please:  (And guys with little ponytails- eeee)

tumblr_n7ik83md1X1ry93zko1_500.jpg

I fully support this!!! Screw people who say that dudes can't have long hair. They are so so sooooo wrong.

I'm a girl who's had very short hair AND very long hair.... I'm currently trying to get it nice and long again. Long hair rocks! <3

• Brohoof 3

i approve of this thread. i get a lot of shit for having long hair, mostly just abuse hurled at me from a moving car cos im not a small chap. people don't dare do it in person XD currently my hair is half way down my back, it used to be longer but it got pretty ridiculous so i had it cut back to my shoulders a couple of years ago :P

Long hair just suits me more than short hair, and it goes well with all my classic rock / prog attire XD

im just happy there are other people here who appreciate the hair, and also understand the pain of combing it while half asleep and accidentally raking your nipple with a brush. those are dark, dark times.

• Brohoof 1

I used to have "long" hair over a month ago, but I "had" to cut it since it kind of got uncomfortable and I had to get ready to go back to work the following month. Boy, do I regret getting it now because the way my mom trimmed it, I look absolutely ridiculous with short hair. It doesn't "feel" like me when there's barely much to comb to begin with.

The only reason I cut my hair is because, one: to shut my mom up about it because she thinks having my hair grown past my ears is 'unmanly' or something, and two: it kept getting in the way because, I admit, I did a poor job of keeping it proper. There were plenty of times when it got greasy, itchy, and hair would keep falling off, but I blamed my stress on the latter. Only way to fix the problems were to shower and wash it with shampoo and conditioner. Then, all would be alright again... for a short time anyways.

Longest I've ever grown mine was when it touched past the back of my neck. Whenever I can grow it back that long again, I'll take note to manage it better next time so as to not have to deal with it unkempt too much. And thanks to some of the encouragement here, next time someone tells me my hair is too long or to cut it short like theirs, well... they can either deal with it or kindly fuck off.

Can I just say, since my hair is curly, I hate when I don't have my hair in a ponytail. The way I see it, a ponytail keeps long hair neat and orderly.

Yush, another long-haired dude here. My hair isn't as long as it used to be, but that has mainly to do with my type of hair... My hair is very thick, and I'm very skinny. Imagine a power-metal haircut on a very slim body... Yeah, doesn't work all that well :P

Even though I chose to make my hair shorter, it is still pretty long. And I also rarely go to the barber, so it always ends up kinda long eventually. I simply refuse to get short hair, because I simply don't like it. I didn't have much trouble with it, though. Sure, people bullied me with it in the past, but most simply respected it.

I have long hair, but I'm a girl so it's not as surprising. :P Still, I like my long hair, even though it gets in the way at times.

As for guys with long hair, I don't really feel one way or the other, since I think it should be up to the person as to what hairstyle they keep their hair in.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a heterosexual guy. I think long hair looks badass on men and beautiful on women.

Regardless of whatever one's personal stylistic tastes are, insulting someone just because they have a hairstyle you don't like is idiotic. I'm sorry to everyone who has to put up with that shit.

One of my goals in life is to grow long hair and a beard like Dumbledore some day.

• Brohoof 2

I really love having long hair, unfortunately I can't keep it since I'm losing my hair, and it's kind of become more obvious. Gonna have to get my hair cut short, sucks, but I'm not happy with the way my hair looks now so it has to be done.

I couldn't possibly count how many times I've been insulted for my hair, even from random strangers on the street, it's the strangest thing. When I was younger my hair was almost waist length at one point, it's now shoulder length, which is better, having very long hair was such a hassle.

Re: Hair care. Slathering long hair in 100% virgin coconut oil (the kind you find in food isles, not hair care isles) is awesome for keeping it silky. I use it as a sort of monthly-ish hair treatment, keep it on for around an hour, then shampoo and condition it out. 

I do this, and I have noticed my hair being pretty soft. Although I put it in my hair before I go to bed and wash it off in the morning.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly how long of hair are you talking about? I though, have recently thought of growing my hair more than what it's at now, maybe it'll look better.. Or I could cut it shorter, but still, I don't mind people with long hair, no matter who or what they are.

I luv a kind of "scene" length (to have a better sense of how long, I guess, not specifically the style), to long hair. On guys and girls. Mines just above jaw length, and I think I've gotten to the point where I should keep it maintained there. I REALLY need to trim the back of my hair though. I was going to initially have it go even longer, but I'm satisfied at where I am now, so the back needs to be shortened up. :P

• 3 years later...

I hate the sensation of cutting hair and i haven't had it cut ever after the first times it was trimmed. I enjoy my hair the way it is. I just wish I could make my hair look better with me but these days I've given up on that part.

Only annoying this is when it gets tangled :/

I’m a relatively butch lesbian, but people often say that I contradict myself with long hair that goes down to my sides. Screw that. 

I like it on not only myself and females, but I think men can be quite attractive in long hair: much more than short-haired males. No hate to short-haired males, of course, because everyone is beautiful, but it is my personal opinion that long-haired men are simply more favorable. 

:pinkie: Y’all are perfect, and sport whatever defines you and that you are comfortable in. 

I used to have long hair, but I had to cut it down recently because it started getting too hot.

I actually really like having long hair. Only things I don't really like are how it keeps heat in when it's hot and how it can be annoying in the wind. Really like the way it looks on me, and I really like how you can style it in multitudes of ways.