Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Long Hair Appreciation Thread.

Derpaholic

I have long hair and I haven't changed it in years. I'm a girl so there's nothing out of the ordinary about it. I never thought there was anything out of the ordinary for guys to have long hair either. Guys have been wearing it that way for a long time and I don't think anyone thinks twice about it. Long hair can be a bit of an annoyance when it's hot out, and it takes longer to wash and style, but it can be a good look for those who wear it well.

• Brohoof 3

My hair was past my shoulders a month ago, but I got it cut. I'm going to let it grow back though. I love long hair. I honestly think it looks more natural than short hair that gets trimmed and brushed across and stuff. Most teenagers my age who have short hair are constantly trying to 'train' it to grow a certain way, such as across their forehead. If you let your hair grow out to a certain length, you actually don't even need to spend much time styling it. I just use a brush and then put it behind my ears. That's all.

The idea that having long hair is less manly is kind of absurd. Was Samson less manly than others because of his long hair? Nope. Long hair to me just seems so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a guy who's had long hair for as long as I can remember, and I both love it and hate it. I can't actually see myself not having long hair since I believe it fits me so well, and lots of people also seem to constantly comment on how well long hair suits me. The only times I really hate having it is when it CONSTANTLY GETS IN MY EYES which is pretty much 70% of the time. I've actually even got to a point where my.. like "default head position" is slightly tilted to the side since I'm so used to tilting my head to make sure my hair doesn't fall down into my eyes. :please:

I think the only person who has ever really commented on my hair a lot is my Dad xD. He'd constantly call me a girl though It never really bothered me since of course he was just playing around. There was also some people in High School who'd also call me a girl... now that I think about it, being told that I look like a girl was really the only thing people ever said about it.

Long Hair For Life!

sSi6XVT.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

when i first let my hair go long everyone around me seemed to go crazy aswel,(i was 15)but i learned to ignore them quickly enough.
these days my hair is thinning so it looks aweful when i let it grow too long unfortunately

I may actually have the longest hair in my entire family. Down past my elbows (Stand up straight and see how proportionately long that is. Go ahead. I'll wait.)

So I can keep doing this:

Image result for headbanging gifs

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the longest hair in my family, I get questioned about it but honestly, I just like having long hair. How it looks on me, how it feels, etc. Its nice c:

I've had long hair in the past and I liked it, but it can be annoying and a lot of work. I keep it short to medium length nowadays.

I have never tried a long hair look, and I've always wanted to try it and see how I would look, though I'm pretty positive my parents would want nothing to do me after that. :P I'm just kidding about that last part, though I do think they would strongly reject the idea. :mlp_wat: My hair is just starting to reach the ears on the sides, and my parents and everyone I know are yelling at me to get a haircut, and that's not an exaggeration. :please: But to all you who have long hair, be proud that it's part of who you are, and you don't need to change a thing! :squee:

(edited)

I've had long hair for the longest time, barring a one year period right before I entered college.  My hair has been well below my shoulders for my entire college career thus far.  I've received complements from just about everyone, from friends, acquaintances, college professors, coworkers and managers, and the occasional random women passing by.  My dating partners (the few times I'm not a shy hermit and actually manage to get out into the real world :wacko:) were fond of my hair.  Even most of my ultra-conservative family likes my hair, and they only tell me to cut it in humor and not in seriousness.  And the greatest irony is, I'm far from a hippie (but not ultra-conservative, like my family).

I think long hair is great.  But the issue for men is, they forget to work with it; they tend to forget it requires more elbow grease.  I see too many of them just having long hair just to have it, and not working it into an aesthetic, or worse, not taking care of their mane, and it ultimately looks unappealing and slobbish.  So when someone tells you to cut your hair, it may not be necessarily because you have long hair.

You need to find a way for the long hair to fit your personality.  Yes, there are many different ways for a man to style long hair, and there is definitely a style for everyone, if they're willing to look for it.  Then he needs to find a fashion style that fits both this personality and long hair.  I myself have my own style.

You need all that extra ""feminine"" stuff to keep your hair clean and healthy.  Stuff like dry shampoo, hair products, or event hair straighteners (which I have two of; one is for general days, and another one which is finer for special occasions), and so forth can work wonders, if they're not outright required.  Heck, it's generally recommended to shower less with long hair, so that your hair can retain it's nutrients instead of constantly washing it away.  And in my personal opinion, good, well groomed facial hair extenuates the long hair, while an absence of facial hair makes it look a tad too goofy.

Just some thoughts.  Hopefully someone finds it helpful.  :derp:

Last minute edit:  When growing your hair out, there is a general "awkward zone" where the hair looks goofy because it's neither short nor long enough.  There's not much you can do for this, except their sticking it out or going back and trimming your hair.

Edited by Shadowfax
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...