Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What religion do Equestrians practice?

firerock2245

Discord is the embodiment of chaos. He's a spirit. It's said multiple times in the show. SPIRIT. Not God of chaos.

Celestia and luna are princesses. Not gods.

They haven't always controlled celestial objects. Before they came along, 5 unicorns rose the sun and the moon. Wold those unicorns also be considered gods? What about earth ponies who can magically make stuff grow from the earth? Or pegasi who can control the forces of nature through weather?

Discord also refers to himself as Lord/Master of Chaos, implying he is more thn just a mere spirit when manipulating the power of chaos. Until further back story of his origins is revealed or it is shown he is not the only one of his kind. He is for all intents and purposes a God. Perhaps a Demi-God at most.

Also it took more than 5, it took the whole tribe to raise the sun. Celestia can do that alone. Shows just how far a league of its own alicorn magic is.

• Brohoof 1

Ummmm just as a fellow Christian . . . how the Hell does that work? Is it like Narnia where Aslan was that world's Jesus and presumably another Christ is in Equestria?

I'm not sure. Going for a Chronicles of Narnia-like analogy would probably be a good option. Yet, again, I'm not too sure on how I could justify Christian beliefs in the mlp universe.

• Brohoof 1

Discord is the embodiment of chaos. He's a spirit. It's said multiple times in the show. SPIRIT. Not God of chaos.

They haven't always controlled celestial objects. Before they came along, 5 unicorns rose the sun and the moon. Wold those unicorns also be considered gods? What about earth ponies who can magically make stuff grow from the earth? Or pegasi who can control the forces of nature through weather?

God is relative. It's a being far beyond the scope of those around him/her, in both power and wisdom. In the DC universe, Superman is considered a god. In Pokemon, said god is Arceus. In Doctor Who, The Doctor himself is often considered a god.In the fictional world, at least, God does not necessarily equate to religion in this instance, merely power beyond mortal understanding. Celestia, Luna, and Discord certainly fit this category.

• Brohoof 1

-Native American Shamanism involves the worship of various "spirits" and Shintoism at least acknowledges similar beings called "yokai" so just being called a spirit doesn't mean Discord's nature isn't divine. I mean, he actually has a bigger claim to godhood than Celestia does as he is the explicit lord and avatar of an abstract concept as opposed to just being the controller of a physical object.

-They can be both you know. Thearchy is a system of government where the Divine is directly in charge. (Again, not to be confused with Theocracy.) Many political philosophers would say this is the most perfect form of government as it is being headed by a superior and benevolent mind. Considering how ideal Equestria is, I think it says something to that point.

-True they've not always held the position, but that took a group (possibly a large one) a concerted effort to accomplish. Celestia did both with ease, for 1,000 years, by herself! I mean, if Hercules was considered semi-divine just because he was strong enough to uproot trees and swing them around like clubs; I think it's fair for ponies to feel the princesses are divine beings for their power. Plus, you know, being immortal helps too.

-The ponies being stewards of their world certainly makes Equestria itself more of a divine/magical place, but I think Celestia, Luna, and even Cadence are gods because they have influence over realms that are a bit more abstract than that.

Sure, Celestia's "job" is running the actual state and raising the sun, but she also works on a more subtle level of helping ponies realize their full potential. She gave Granny Smith's family a new home and quite a big stretch of land at that, when she saw how broken down they all were. She helped Twilight become, not only an Alicorn, but a better person through connecting with others.

Luna is the warden of dreams. Both occasions we've seen her on the job, she's helped ponies battle their demons or sins. Making her something of a guardian angel at the least.

Cadence holds a similar position to Celestia within the Crystal Empire. For the Crystal Ponies, whose entire civilization depends on a shared love of their home and one another, the princess with the power to spread that could easily be worth such reverence.

Does that make them divine? Meh, I'd say when combined with everything else, plus immortality, makes a pretty good case for it.

I'm not sure. Going for a Chronicles of Narnia-like analogy would probably be a good option. Yet, again, I'm not too sure on how I could justify Christian beliefs in the mlp universe.

Well Christian beliefs actually fit in rather nicely with the show's universe. Love thy neighbor, forgive thy enemy, and many others. I was just more calling into question having an OC spout his or her belief in a being that Equestria has no context for the knowledge of.

In my opinion Changeling worship the maker. The maker to me is Fausticorn. They respect the maker but just don't worship religiously or stuff. They just know Fausticorn exists as a godlike figure and respect that.

Why just the Changelings and not the ponies?

Also,

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY FAUSTICORN!

lauren_faust___white_robe___by_artist_ap

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

-Native American Shamanism involves the worship of various "spirits" and Shintoism at least acknowledges similar beings called "yokai" so just being called a spirit doesn't mean Discord's nature isn't divine. I mean, he actually has a bigger claim to godhood than Celestia does as he is the explicit lord and avatar of an abstract concept as opposed to just being the controller of a physical object.

-They can be both you know. Thearchy is a system of government where the Divine is directly in charge. (Again, not to be confused with Theocracy.) Many political philosophers would say this is the most perfect form of government as it is being headed by a superior and benevolent mind. Considering how ideal Equestria is, I think it says something to that point.

-True they've not always held the position, but that took a group (possibly a large one) a concerted effort to accomplish. Celestia did both with ease, for 1,000 years, by herself! I mean, if Hercules was considered semi-divine just because he was strong enough to uproot trees and swing them around like clubs; I think it's fair for ponies to feel the princesses are divine beings for their power. Plus, you know, being immortal helps too.

-The ponies being stewards of their world certainly makes Equestria itself more of a divine/magical place, but I think Celestia, Luna, and even Cadence are gods because they have influence over realms that are a bit more abstract than that.

Sure, Celestia's "job" is running the actual state and raising the sun, but she also works on a more subtle level of helping ponies realize their full potential. She gave Granny Smith's family a new home and quite a big stretch of land at that, when she saw how broken down they all were. She helped Twilight become, not only an Alicorn, but a better person through connecting with others.

Luna is the warden of dreams. Both occasions we've seen her on the job, she's helped ponies battle their demons or sins. Making her something of a guardian angel at the least.

Cadence holds a similar position to Celestia within the Crystal Empire. For the Crystal Ponies, whose entire civilization depends on a shared love of their home and one another, the princess with the power to spread that could easily be worth such reverence.

Does that make them divine? Meh, I'd say when combined with everything else, plus immortality, makes a pretty good case for it.

Well Christian beliefs actually fit in rather nicely with the show's universe. Love thy neighbor, forgive thy enemy, and many others. I was just more calling into question having an OC spout his or her belief in a being that Equestria has no context for the knowledge of.

Why just the Changelings and not the ponies?

Also,

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY FAUSTICORN!

lauren_faust___white_robe___by_artist_ap

Well because its part of my changelings headcanon.

And maybe they just worship Proteus and Metis the first changeling rulers that emerged. Proteus is the elusive sea change in my country Greece. He could shapeshift into any matetial imagineable... Metal water fire. Metis is the Titaness mother of Athena first spouse of Zeus and a shapeshifter whos name connoted magical cunning.wisdom skill craft.

• Brohoof 1

Well because its part of my changelings headcanon.

And maybe they just worship Proteus and Metis the first changeling rulers that emerged. Proteus is the elusive sea change in my country Greece. He could shapeshift into any matetial imagineable... Metal water fire. Metis is the Titaness mother of Athena first spouse of Zeus and a shapeshifter whos name connoted magical cunning.wisdom skill craft.

With the various mythologies that exist in that world, I can completely see that happening.

(Visited Greece once, loved it. :wub: )

Well Christian beliefs actually fit in rather nicely with the show's universe. Love thy neighbor, forgive thy enemy, and many others. I was just more calling into question having an OC spout his or her belief in a being that Equestria has no context for the knowledge of.

I honestly think Christianity is much, much, much more complicated than that really. That's more close to a form of Christian moralism if anything. Still though, the show does at least heark on that aspect of Christian beliefs. So I'll give it that much. :)

As for the OC issue, I think it's mainly my lack of wanting to separate from my point of views in some characters. Really though, I don't have a whole lot of OC's for that matter. Just my Ponysona (which is a representation of myself as so), a robot pony (which can't logically hold beliefs like such because it's a machine), and few other "idea" characters that are treated more like lesser-known historical figures so to speak (and therefore may, or may not hold such beliefs themselves individually).

I honestly think Christianity is much, much, much more complicated than that really. That's more close to a form of Christian moralism if anything. Still though, the show does at least heark on that aspect of Christian beliefs. So I'll give it that much. :)

As for the OC issue, I think it's mainly my lack of wanting to separate from my point of views in some characters. Really though, I don't have a whole lot of OC's for that matter. Just my Ponysona (which is a representation of myself as so), a robot pony (which can't logically hold beliefs like such because it's a machine), and few other "idea" characters that are treated more like lesser-known historical figures so to speak (and therefore may, or may not hold such beliefs themselves individually).

I know Christianity is more complex than that, I am a practicing Catholic after all. I was just drawing a brief parallel to Christian morals and those expressed in the show. The total theology of the religion is absent though, hence why I said the viewpoints and not anything else.

Your ponysona I get, as that is you as a pony. Me, my ponysona isn't just me as a pony, he's me if I was born in Equestria with no life or knowledge of Earth. So . . . yeah there's a disconnect on some things. Steel is still very spiritual, he's just obviously not a Roman Catholic.

I would contest that an Artificial General Intelligence can't hold religious beliefs. I mean Legion of Mass Effect entertains many philosophical ideas which the player can discuss with them, and need we forget the titular Iron Giant who ponders if he has a soul? There are many others but you get my point. In fact, for your OC, that might be a great bit of character development. You could swap "soul" for "destiny" or some such to fit it better but it would still be a great question to ask.

I mean, I personally think any self aware intelligence could potentially form it's own spirituality, but everything leading up to that is some of the best kinds of character study you could do.

Their religion is equestrian mythology.

I don't see many references to actuall religions unless let the rainbow remind you counts. Which could? Are there more religious references there? Possibly.

Well briefly we see Mr. Waddle attending an open casket funeral in a priest's outfit, so assumedly they have some ceremony for interning their dead.

Celestia actually wedded Shining Armor and Cadence, and the classic idea of a wedding is making your vows before God. Hey, if want to get hitched and you've got God on speed dial, why not go right to the source?

There hasn't been much in the way of prayer, but the ponies seem to have a very healthy "Celestia helps those who help themselves attitude" in that they try to solve their problems themselves first, before seeking outside aid. I mean, how many times has Ponyville been threatened and the Mane Six just rolled up their sleeves and sprung into action?

Not even calling the cops or anything just,

"Oh look, another giant monster, who's turn is it?" Which is almost casually badass!  B)

• Brohoof 1

I know Christianity is more complex than that, I am a practicing Catholic after all. I was just drawing a brief parallel to Christian morals and those expressed in the show. The total theology of the religion is absent though, hence why I said the viewpoints and not anything else.

Your ponysona I get, as that is you as a pony. Me, my ponysona isn't just me as a pony, he's me if I was born in Equestria with no life or knowledge of Earth. So . . . yeah there's a disconnect on some things. Steel is still very spiritual, he's just obviously not a Roman Catholic.

I would contest that an Artificial General Intelligence can't hold religious beliefs. I mean Legion of Mass Effect entertains many philosophical ideas which the player can discuss with them, and need we forget the titular Iron Giant who ponders if he has a soul? There are many others but you get my point. In fact, for your OC, that might be a great bit of character development. You could swap "soul" for "destiny" or some such to fit it better but it would still be a great question to ask.

I mean, I personally think any self aware intelligence could potentially form it's own spirituality, but everything leading up to that is some of the best kinds of character study you could do.

Indeed....

Indeed. I see. Still though, my own pony holds the same Christian beliefs(and that specifically being of the Reformed). That's again because I feel any representation of myself should hold the same points of view in some way or another as myself.

Well, it's all a work in progress on his note. I've yet to work out the full details concerning him.

With the various mythologies that exist in that world, I can completely see that happening.

(Visited Greece once, loved it. :wub: )

Hehe nice. If you ever come by Olympia do tell me i live nearby.

Well one of my theories is that if one god/being dies on a world it is reborn some way in another. Maybe not as a god but yea.

• Brohoof 1

I would say that there are loads of small spiritualistic beliefs but none of the ponies really indicate any one strong belief and or "religion". Celestia and Luna are not considered gods but as high rulers that all the ponies of Equestria love and look up to. (Well, Celly) Hence, "Praise Celestia!". Sure these terms are based upon the Christian/Catholic phrases but we've seen lots of similar real-world cultures being used in a different light in the show.

I would say that there are loads of small spiritualistic beliefs but none of the ponies really indicate any one strong belief and or "religion". Celestia and Luna are not considered gods but as high rulers that all the ponies of Equestria love and look up to. (Well, Celly) Hence, "Praise Celestia!". Sure these terms are based upon the Christian/Catholic phrases but we've seen lots of similar real-world cultures being used in a different light in the show.

Though they certainly could be. Celestia and Luna, as I've said before, really kind of straddle that line of ceremonial respect and pietistic reverence. Two ponies may be bowing to them, but one may be bowing because their the rulers of the realm, the other because they are the immortal guardians, a third seeing no difference between the two.

Hehe nice. If you ever come by Olympia do tell me i live nearby.

Well one of my theories is that if one god/being dies on a world it is reborn some way in another. Maybe not as a god but yea.

So theoretically, I could be the reborn Theseus?  :P

Though they certainly could be. Celestia and Luna, as I've said before, really kind of straddle that line of ceremonial respect and pietistic reverence. Two ponies may be bowing to them, but one may be bowing because their the rulers of the realm, the other because they are the immortal guardians, a third seeing no difference between the two.

So theoretically, I could be the reborn Theseus? :P

Maybe but i would guess you would be in another world. In any case Theseus was a relatively cruel "An eye for an eye" hero that forced some villains to their own tortures.

Maybe but i would guess you would be in another world. In any case Theseus was a relatively cruel "An eye for an eye" hero that forced some villains to their own tortures.

I'm well aware, such as the encounter with Procrustes, I was just thinking off the top of my head without being as cliche as to say Hercules or Perseus.

And hey, why would we reincarnate except to redeem ourselves of our past sins?  :)

Hmmm . . .  :huh: That actually sounds like a good name for a story.

past_sins_cover_by_dreatos-d5go4vi.png

• 2 months later...

Ponies are above the inanity of religion. They do not have to subscribe to a divine pony-shaped being, instead they hold friendship, love and other values at their highest. Very admirable, if you ask me.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

Ponies are above the inanity of religion. They do not have to subscribe to a divine pony-shaped being, instead they hold friendship, love and other values at their highest. Very admirable, if you ask me.

And that can't be a religion? To hold virtues such as love as being divine? To say something is above or beyond religion is like saying one is above philosophy or art. Religion is having faith in a greater order, purpose, and or force in existence. So the ponies very well may hold that in their hearts. One thing I think they don't have in Equestria that we are plagued with though, is the corruption of religious institution. Whether Princess Celestia, to use the obvious, is or is not divine isn't something that even She seems to stress so the ponies don't either. Now somepony like Rarity might place her faith in some vague concept of Destiny, akin to a sort of divine directive where Twilight (ironically being the closest in relationship and deed to godhood) is more empirical and doesn't act on beliefs that are untested.

And again, by your implication, you seem to be operating under the assumption that I (and others) ascribe human shape and characteristics to God. There are those that do, sure, but I hold that to be immensely immature in religious thought.

Maybe the Powers that Be are friendship, love, and other supra-human archetypes. Certainly seems more sensible than the Zeus stereotype.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

So religion is just a blight upon the world right?

Everyone who has a cosmology in their minds has some form of religion.

You dont have to build a temple to something for it to be a religion.

• Brohoof 2

So religion is just a blight upon the world right?

Everyone who has a cosmology in their minds has some form of religion.

You dont have to build a temple to something for it to be a religion.

It does seem a rather sadly widespread notion that religion in any form is so monolithic. I've studied many mythologies and religions from around the world and across human history. Most atheists don't seem to grasp the concept that maybe it's just not the religion they are exposed to is right for them but one could exist or have existed that fits into their worldview. 

Religion isn't just one thing after all and like most aspects of society, it has and will continue to evolve and change in the future.

• Brohoof 1

There does seem to be some reference to ancient Greek religions in the show. I.e. Tartarus is actually the pit of hell in the ancient Greek religion. Grant you ,I'm sure the show has this for mythology reasons like many others rather than religious ones.  But that the only "religious" thing I can think of.

Edited by whitetiger187
  • Brohoof 1

I am in the camp that sees no evidence of any religion at all.

Need there be one at all?

Well for one thing, there is evidence. The various times somepony cries to the heavens and namedropping Celestia where "God" would normally be.

Or most glaringly, the CMC bumping into an open casket funeral during their Hearts and Hooves day song! (Kind of almost literal overkill there in terms of world building.)

Less exacting though, there is the overall storied history of Celestia and Luna and their relationship to Equestria, recounted in books in a similar manner to a creation myth.

One thing that is overall not presented is a formalized institution or worship, but personal practice and communal religiousness is greatly implied.

Is it needed? Well I would say yes. Fantasy worlds need their own myths whether they be strictly true or not, it's what separates them from fairy tales which contain no more incidental meaning than what it takes to carry the intended message of the fairy tale itself. What it does not need is for the myth or religion to be directly addressed. Depending on the work and the intention, bogging the characters down with exposition as to what works and why might actually damage it. Such as the case with this show and with surprisingly Game of Thrones.

Equestria clearly isn't our world, but they strike the balance of it being both fantastical yet still identifiable. Giving Celestia and Luna's specific worship more detail would tip the scale too much in one direction.

In Game of Thrones, whether the gods exist or not is not as important as the secular powers at play. So giving the specifics of the Seven would just be unnecessary and waste time.

There does seem to be some reference to ancient Greek religions in the show. I.e. Tartarus is actually the pit of hell in the ancient Greek religion. Grant you ,I'm sure the show has this for mythology reasons like many others rather then religious ones.  But that the only "religious" thing I can think of.

Don't underestimate what that can mean though. Dante's incorporation of many aspects of the Grecian Underworld into the Inferno was no accident.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I am in the camp that sees no evidence of any religion at all.

Need there be one at all?

I dont understand jack shit of what you say kind sir. Sorry...

There does seem to be some reference to ancient Greek religions in the show. I.e. Tartarus is actually the pit of hell in the ancient Greek religion. Grant you ,I'm sure the show has this for mythology reasons like many others rather than religious ones.  But that the only "religious" thing I can think of.

I am greek. Tartarus isnt hell. It's a deep abyss serving as a prison for the Titans.

Don't underestimate what that can mean though. Dante's incorporation of many aspects of the Grecian Underworld into the Inferno was no accident.
Religion doesn't mix with mythology always. Why do people forget that?