Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What religion do Equestrians practice?

firerock2245

I dont understand jack shit of what you say kind sir. Sorry...

I think I explained his point above.

I am greek. Tartarus isnt hell. It's a deep abyss serving as a prison for the Titans.

True but in terms of analogy for Hell. A place of eternal torment for those who raged war against the Powers that Be, that could be referring to the Titans in Tartarus or Satan in Hell.

Just as much, Elysium might also be in the Underworld, but it occupies the same place as Heaven, being the place of joy and reward for good deeds done in life.

Religion doesn't mix with mythology always. Why do people forget that?

I don't, but that doesn't mean there's no correlation. The Olympians were once worshipped as formally as I worship Jesus today. Mythology is just the surface level iconography of a specific faith or universe outlook. Religion includes myth even if just by the barest level to convey spiritual meaning. 

I see. The first time I heard of the word "Tartarus" was in in a book I read in philosophy class called "Plato Republic" It had  footnote describing it as so.

You weren't 100% wrong. The Underworld is divided into various sections occupied by the dead based on what they did in life. For instance the Asphodel Fields are where ordinary people go. Just the run of the mill farmer or artisan. It was uniform.

Tartarus is where Zeus hacked up Chronos and sent his remains to. It was the prison for the enemies of the gods. Other notable occupants include the wicked Sisyphus and Tantalus. 

It seems Princess Celestia is just following in the tradition of Tartarus being the formal prison of the dammed.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Ok don't know what that means. Never heard of those words being used.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Oh sorry I read those words wrong.

No I was just saying it's never been introduced and they always say Equestria in places of God. Like what in the name of Equestria are you doing.

I'm not ignorant neither. I believe in Jesus.

• Brohoof 1

Ok don't know what that means. Never heard of those words being used.

Oh sorry I read those words wrong.

No I was just saying it's never been introduced and they always say Equestria in places of God. Like what in the name of Equestria are you doing.

I'm not ignorant neither. I believe in Jesus.

I wasn't trying to imply you were ignorant, simply pointing out that even if the subject isn't directly addressed, it doesn't mean it's not there.

See my posts above for the bulk of my argument.

Oh ok. Thought you were since you put ignorantium in your post.

It does mean ignorance, but it's referring to the argument, not the person. Literally argumentum ad ignorantiam means, "appeal to ignorance" in latin. I followed up by the spirit of it's translation "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

The argument is "we are ignorant of any proof or disproof, so how can we decisively conclude X isn't there?"

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

It does mean ignorance, but it's referring to the argument, not the person. Literally argumentum ad ignorantiam means, "appeal to ignorance" in latin. I followed up by the spirit of it's translation "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

The argument is "we are ignorant of any proof or disproof, so how can we decisively conclude X isn't there?"

Alright.

(Filler and Filler)

They do not need religion. They are strong enough in their convictions that they do not need to conjure deities out of whole cloth and force others to follow the arbitrary and antiquated rules "it" made. They are leagues above most humans in that regard.

• Brohoof 1

They do not need religion. They are strong enough in their convictions that they do not need to conjure deities out of whole cloth and force others to follow the arbitrary and antiquated rules "it" made. They are leagues above most humans in that regard.

That's a pretty iron clad, one dimensional interpretation of what constitutes ALL religions.

Religion would exist even if there was just one person to observe it.

Since when does religion need deities to exist? And since when is religion a defacto minus of humanity? Am i degraded for worshipping a god? Am i lesser because of this?

I feel offended.

That's a pretty iron clad, one dimensional interpretation of what constitutes ALL religions.

Religion would exist even if there was just one person to observe it.

Its Iron clad and one dimensional because that is exactly what it is at the end of the day

Second point is just false, there are people who do not have the need for religion.

Spirituality maaaaybe

but not religion.

Since when does religion need deities to exist? And since when is religion a defacto minus of humanity? Am i degraded for worshipping a god? Am i lesser because of this?

I feel offended.

I apologize you feel that way, but I have been thuroughy turned off by religion and its ways.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I sincerely hope they have no organized religion, because I do not want to see elements of our religious history echoed in Equestria's.

post-25258-0-72470200-1410200302_thumb.png

Its Iron clad and one dimensional because that is exactly what it is at the end of the day

Second point is just false, there are people who do not have the need for religion.

Spirituality maaaaybe

but not religion.

I apologize you feel that way, but I have been thuroughy turned off by religion and its ways.

You have been thoroughly turned off by people. That doesnt mean it makes you right. Religion is an idea, a tool per say. It can be used wrongly e.g. crusades and benevolently e.g. charities.
  • Brohoof 2

Spirituality maaaaybe

but not religion.

You're wrong. Religion is simply faith in an ultimate meaning, purpose, or force in existence. That's the long and short of it. Everything else is just so much trapping and reinterpretation.

If I was the last man on Earth who believed in the Powers that Be, that would be a religion, even if I couldn't formally define what those Powers were, the faith that they exist is what makes a religion.

To give specific examples as to why your summation doesn't do religion justice:

-Jainism, one of the oldest religions in the world is very insular. Focusing on non-violence and asceticism as it's core practices.

-Shinto, the chief religion of Japan, it's key tenant is purity. Purity of thought, purity of body, and purity of conscience. Shinto practitioners could live out their entire lives in quiet peace and be within line with their faith.

-Gnosticism, a precursor and offshoot of Christianity, the core is gnosis or self knowledge. Gnostics stress more the lessons of God and how they relate to the self than the specifics of divinity.  

By this line of thinking, several of the Mane Six could be said to be spiritual and religious. Pinkie actually has quite savant wisdom from time to time, her faith may not be in anything specific but she definitely has faith in a positive eventuality, it's how she can always be smiling even in dire situations. Rarity actually has some deep interpretations on the nature of cutie-marks and how they relate to destiny that you can see in her interactions with Sweetie Belle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I sincerely hope they have no organized religion, because I do not want to see elements of our religious history echoed in Equestria's.

Well they largely don't need an organized church because their deities are right on capitol hill. They don't need to interpret Celestia or Luna's intention because it's not mysterious or unknown to them. The Princesses themselves have varying attitudes as to how they treat their subjects and expect to be treated in turn.

If some cultist started gathering money to build a church in Celestia's name but was lining his own pockets, well God may work in mysterious ways, but Celestia has the freedom to be more direct.

I get the feeling that you've been "turned off" by the big three of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. They are not the Alpha and Omega of religious thought as much as any of them might hold that to be true.

There are countless traditions in human history, all with their cosmologies, all with their tenants, all with their sins. Yet all of them have those things. Religion and spirituality are questions and guesses to the greater nature of the universe and our place in it.

Shutting the entire myriad complex of thought because of the limited experience of three is like saying you hate all ice cream just because you don't like chocolate flavor.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Equestria has a concept of heaven and hell (Heaven and tartarus technically) so they must have some sort of religion. The rulers of the sun and the moon are considered to be princesses. 

Ponies show high regards to princess Celestia, more than they do to princess Luna. They don't view the princesses as goddesses, but it doesn't exactly mean there can't be some sort of diety(s) watching them. They have a lot borrowed from Greek Mythology, but at the same time, they don't seem to believe in the Greek Gods. Their funerals seem to be like Christian ones, several religions have a concept of heaven. 

Equestria is most likely an equal society with religious freedom. I mean Twilight is pretty much an atheist due to the fact she has trouble believing things that cannot be explained. 

Though they seem to fit into Unitarian Universalism, Equestria does not seem to have a certain religion, and ponies are free to practice their own religion. There is no evidence on this, though. 

• Brohoof 2

Equestria has a concept of heaven and hell (Heaven and tartarus technically) so they must have some sort of religion. The rulers of the sun and the moon are considered to be princesses. 

Ponies show high regards to princess Celestia, more than they do to princess Luna. They don't view the princesses as goddesses, but it doesn't exactly mean there can't be some sort of diety(s) watching them. They have a lot borrowed from Greek Mythology, but at the same time, they don't seem to believe in the Greek Gods. Their funerals seem to be like Christian ones, several religions have a concept of heaven. 

Equestria is most likely an equal society with religious freedom. I mean Twilight is pretty much an atheist due to the fact she has trouble believing things that cannot be explained. 

Though they seem to fit into Unitarian Universalism, Equestria does not seem to have a certain religion, and ponies are free to practice their own religion. There is no evidence on this, though. 

I would say everything you presented is pretty evident in of itself with possible spiritual meaningfulness imbuable in nearly everything from Winter Wrap Up to the Elements of Harmony, how much is divine design, how much is natural causality, and where and if the two end or overlap seems to be as valid to one pony as the other.

There is something of an irony though in the atheist in all but name being the closest to divine amongst the Mane Six.  :P

You're wrong. Religion is simply faith in an ultimate meaning, purpose, or force in existence. That's the long and short of it. Everything else is just so much trapping and reinterpretation.

If I was the last man on Earth who believed in the Powers that Be, that would be a religion, even if I couldn't formally define what those Powers were, the faith that they exist is what makes a religion.

To give specific examples as to why your summation doesn't do religion justice:

-Jainism, one of the oldest religions in the world is very insular. Focusing on non-violence and asceticism as it's core practices.

-Shinto, the chief religion of Japan, it's key tenant is purity. Purity of thought, purity of body, and purity of conscience. Shinto practitioners could live out their entire lives in quiet peace and be within line with their faith.

-Gnosticism, a precursor and offshoot of Christianity, the core is gnosis or self knowledge. Gnostics stress more the lessons of God and how they relate to the self than the specifics of divinity.

By this line of thinking, several of the Mane Six could be said to be spiritual and religious. Pinkie actually has quite savant wisdom from time to time, her faith may not be in anything specific but she definitely has faith in a positive eventuality, it's how she can always be smiling even in dire situations. Rarity actually has some deep interpretations on the nature of cutie-marks and how they relate to destiny that you can see in her interactions with Sweetie Belle.

Well they largely don't need an organized church because their deities are right on capitol hill. They don't need to interpret Celestia or Luna's intention because it's not mysterious or unknown to them. The Princesses themselves have varying attitudes as to how they treat their subjects and expect to be treated in turn.

If some cultist started gathering money to build a church in Celestia's name but was lining his own pockets, well God may work in mysterious ways, but Celestia has the freedom to be more direct.

I get the feeling that you've been "turned off" by the big three of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. They are not the Alpha and Omega of religious thought as much as any of them might hold that to be true.

There are countless traditions in human history, all with their cosmologies, all with their tenants, all with their sins. Yet all of them have those things. Religion and spirituality are questions and guesses to the greater nature of the universe and our place in it.

Shutting the entire myriad complex of thought because of the limited experience of three is like saying you hate all ice cream just because you don't like chocolate flavor.

You are correct. When I say religion I mean Organized religion with deities and judgement galore. You may not believe me when I say this but Its the Intention behind the belief and not the belief itself turns me off to it. Religion (as in Organized religion) condemns those that do not follow their beliefs by virtue of that fact. Or they force them to change. Spirituality, the pesuit or bettering yourself through your convictions and beliefs has nothing but my respect.

You have been thoroughly turned off by people. That doesnt mean it makes you right. Religion is an idea, a tool per say. It can be used wrongly e.g. crusades and benevolently e.g. charities.

You are not wrong in a way. Religion used as a tool to condemn has nothijg but my contempt, and that is organized religion and the people who tote it. Religion, or, as I refer to it, spirituality that is used for self betterment has my approval.

Hopefully I clarified my stance on the matter.

Edited by Buck Testa

You are correct. When I say religion I mean Organized religion with deities and judgement galore. You may not believe me when I say this but Its the Intention behind the belief and not the belief itself turns me off to it. Religion (as in Organized religion) condemns those that do not follow their beliefs by virtue of that fact. Or they force them to change. Spirituality, the pesuit or bettering yourself through your convictions and beliefs has nothing but my respect.

You are not wrong in a way. Religion used as a tool to condemn has nothijg but my contempt, and that is organized religion and the people who tote it. Religion, or, as I refer to it, spirituality that is used for self betterment has my approval.

Hopefully I clarified my stance on the matter.

Clarified, but your stance is once again misinformed. Smaller religions such as Shinto and Wicca are still "organized" in so much that they have clergy and doctrine.

Religion without spirituality is possible but a corruption, however spirituality without even the barest hint of religious thought is not possible. Spirituality is opening one's mind to the possibility of extra-human and/or super-physical meaning or purpose, religion at least starts with the same basic conceit.

Again, I don't believe you are truly anti-religious, you seem to be religiously flavored anti-establishment.

Edited by Steel Accord

Clarified, but your stance is once again misinformed. Smaller religions such as Shinto and Wicca are still "organized" in so much that they have clergy and doctrine.

Religion without spirituality is possible but a corruption, however spirituality without even the barest hint of religious thought is not possible. Spirituality is opening one's mind to the possibility of extra-human and/or super-physical meaning or purpose, religion at least starts with the same basic conceit.

Again, I don't believe you are truly anti-religious, you're anti-establishment.

Eh... no that is not quite right. That says I am against authority, which I am not. Well not entirely anyway.

Like I have said in other posts I am not an Athiest but an Agnostic, I know enough to know that I don't know. To clarify, There are things going on around us we cannot perceive because we are not equipped to perceive them. Given the complexity of the universe I do not deny the possibility of sonething along the lines of higher beings existing.

What I find not likely is a strange story about an egotistical narcissist who condemns his creation to damnation for sampling some produce (unfair generalization but true none the less).

I do not know though.

What I have come to think is if you are using it to help and make the world around you better good on you. If you are using it to condemn and judge then I no respect for that.

Establishments are the same way, I have no problem with one that keeps people safe and not condemning things that hurt no one are great. I would work under Celestia's rule any day of the week for instance. However the big organized religions have been found all kinds of lacking in my eyes. (I don't know enough about shinto to have an opinon on it, Daoism is nice though)

Im not sure what all that would classify me as but that is my two bits none the less.

• Brohoof 1

Eh... no that is not quite right. That says I am against authority, which I am not. Well not entirely anyway.

Like I have said in other posts I am not an Athiest but an Agnostic, I know enough to know that I don't know. To clarify, There are things going on around us we cannot perceive because we are not equipped to perceive them. Given the complexity of the universe I do not deny the possibility of sonething along the lines of higher beings existing.

What I find not likely is a strange story about an egotistical narcissist who condemns his creation to damnation for sampling some produce (unfair generalization but true none the less).

I do not know though.

What I have come to think is if you are using it to help and make the world around you better good on you. If you are using it to condemn and judge then I no respect for that.

Establishments are the same way, I have no problem with one that keeps people safe and not condemning things that hurt no one are great. I would work under Celestia's rule any day of the week for instance. However the big organized religions have been found all kinds of lacking in my eyes. (I don't know enough about shinto to have an opinon on it, Daoism is nice though)

Im not sure what all that would classify me as but that is my two bits none the less.

No that makes perfect sense! I was under the impression you were a pure atheist, however, as an Agnostic, your stance makes perfect sense. My apologies, my fault not yours.

I would still stand with my religion in that I believe the modern Church of Rome is atoning for it's sins, but that is my belief. Likewise I would champion Celestia just as readily. 

No that makes perfect sense! I was under the impression you were a pure atheist, however, as an Agnostic, your stance makes perfect sense. My apologies, my fault not yours.

I would still stand with my religion in that I believe the modern Church of Rome is atoning for it's sins, but that is my belief. Likewise I would champion Celestia just as readily.

Yay I made sense!

All I was getting at was ponies in the show already actively seek to improve and make other ponies lives better of their own accord, which is highly admirable and you do not see that in most humans. It would kind of cheapen it for me if they did it just to avoid the wrath of the boogie-deity, which I have experienced many a time in the past growing up in church. Pinkie Pie makes her whole existance about selflessly getting people to smile, only expecting that smile in return for her work. If that isn't already saint like I do not know what is.

• Brohoof 1

Yay I made sense!

All I was getting at was ponies in the show already actively seek to improve and make other ponies lives better of their own accord, which is highly admirable and you do not see that in most humans. It would kind of cheapen it for me if they did it just to avoid the wrath of the boogie-deity, which I have experienced many a time in the past growing up in church. Pinkie Pie makes her whole existance about selflessly getting people to smile, only expecting that smile in return for her work. If that isn't already saint like I do not know what is.

Well the Churches I grew up in were quite the opposite. Very much about spiritual wellness and charity to others. (Maybe it's a Catholic thing?) And you know most people of faith behave that way, Hell most people already seek to improve other's lives.

I've seen more kindness, generosity, and enthusiasm in my 23 years of life than I have cruelty. I have faith in a Higher Power precisely because my fellow man has given me very little to doubt such a Force exists. My Little Pony is not an inditement against humanity of what we should be, it's reflecting the best of what's already there.