Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What religion do Equestrians practice?

firerock2245

I DO respect your opinion. I simply requested some elaboration as to the reason. To form an opinion based on nothing but a knee jerk reaction is not self examining. A stance I am critical of, but won't press farther if it's deemed invasive.

Well not all religious observation has to be rooted in ceremony and not all prayer need be spoken aloud.

Yeah, well I'd be critical of that as well. Equestria, despite some similarities to Earth, is decidedly a fantasy setting. To have the citizens practice an Earthly faith by name would destroy the willing suspension of disbelief and lessen Equestria as a distinct world that it's managed to make itself.

Also, I'm not a religious person, and I would rather stay away from that territory.
  • Brohoof 1

*sigh* Why do bronies make topics like this?

There IS no religion in the show. No one is worshiped.

Why do we make topics asking how Luna's dream powers work? Or what Gilda's home is like? It's just another aspect of the setting to ponder and theorize about.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Now, to contest your stance, I would agree there's no overt religion on the show. However, I would say that one can certainly imply spirituality without directly naming it. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, two of the biggest fantasy/sci-fi franchises of all time are brimming with themes of faith, sin, redemption, mortality, and a grand design to the universe.

One could make several theological or spiritual observations from character's actions or phenomenon in the show.

-Pinkie Pie is perhaps the most faith driven of the Mane Six. Her element of Laughter easily correlates to optimism and hope. No matter the danger or trouble she and her friends face, she has faith everything will work out in the end and this allows her to laugh in the face of danger.

-The various recountings of Nightmare Moon told on Nightmare Night is similar to the spook stories told around our Halloween. The entire holiday is a veritable Monster Mash of traditional superstitions from ancient religions boiled down to their essence of cautious flirtation with the taboo and the occult. Specifically, the ritual of leaving candy for Nightmare Moon is similar to how various demons or spirits would be appeased or warded off lest incurring their wrath.

-Cutie marks are an interesting manifestation and one that has been seen differently by characters in the show. At their most grandiose, cutie marks are seen as guides to a pony's "destiny." Fate is something that plays a HUGE role in almost all religions and mythologies. Rarity in particular expounds on how a cutie mark is almost the universe's way of saying "this is what you are meant to do." While Rainbow Dash, naturally feeling she is beholden to nopony (in season 1 anyway), holds that one can invoke their cutie mark. Essentially, Rarity is more determinist in her outlook while Dash is more "humanist."

Am I saying any of these mean that religion, in some form exists in Equestria definitively? No, that kind of question really shouldn't be answered because it takes the mystique out of it. Part of the fun of watching/reading escapist media like this is the questions it raises rather than the answers it gives.

Also, I'm not a religious person, and I would rather stay away from that territory.

I am, and I respect your opinion not to be.

No worship stuff means no spiritual ignorance.

Lets keep it that way.

Perhaps you would like to better define "spiritual ignorance" a bit more?

Edited by Steel Accord

Why do we make topics asking how Luna's dream powers work? Or what Gilda's home is like? It's just another aspect of the setting to ponder and theorize about.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now, to contest your stance, I would agree there's no overt religion on the show. However, I would say that one can certainly imply spirituality without directly naming it. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, two of the biggest fantasy/sci-fi franchises of all time are brimming with themes of faith, sin, redemption, mortality, and a grand design to the universe.

One could make several theological or spiritual observations from character's actions or phenomenon in the show.

-Pinkie Pie is perhaps the most faith driven of the Mane Six. Her element of Laughter easily correlates to optimism and hope. No matter the danger or trouble she and her friends face, she has faith everything will work out in the end and this allows her to laugh in the face of danger.

-The various recountings of Nightmare Moon told on Nightmare Night is similar to the spook stories told around our Halloween. The entire holiday is a veritable Monster Mash of traditional superstitions from ancient religions boiled down to their essence of cautious flirtation with the taboo and the occult. Specifically, the ritual of leaving candy for Nightmare Moon is similar to how various demons or spirits would be appeased or warded off lest incurring their wrath.

-Cutie marks are an interesting manifestation and one that has been seen differently by characters in the show. At their most grandiose, cutie marks are seen as guides to a pony's "destiny." Fate is something that plays a HUGE role in almost all religions and mythologies. Rarity in particular expounds on how a cutie mark is almost the universe's way of saying "this is what you are meant to do." While Rainbow Dash, naturally feeling she is beholden to nopony (in season 1 anyway), holds that one can invoke their cutie mark. Essentially, Rarity is more determinist in her outlook while Dash is more "humanist."

Am I saying any of these mean that religion, in some form exists in Equestria definitively? No, that kind of question really shouldn't be answered because it takes the mystique out of it. Part of the fun of watching/reading escapist media like this is the questions it raises rather than the answers it gives.

I am, and I respect your opinion not to be.

Perhaps you would like to better define "spiritual ignorance" a bit more?

Thank you. Also, I'm not atheist, either, I'm agnostic.
  • Brohoof 1

Basically, What Religion to Equestrians practice. And, I know religion is kinda inappropriate for Kid's TV, so it's probably not gonna be revealed on-screen. Myself, I think they worship the 2 Sisters mainly. They have a bit of Greek Mythology mixed in, for example, Tartarus, Cerberus, etc. They are not very religious people, though, unlike SOME of us humans (let the flame wars commence).

Post your thoughts below!

I always thought the princesses were viewed as deities somewhat, so I agree that, if Equestria has religion, the ponies would likely worship the two sisters (mainly Celestia, I think).

I think I recall a pony (don't remember who, maybe Rainbow Dash?) saying things like "thank Celestia!", or something like that in the show. This is similar to us saying "thank God", or whatever. So there's that. (Btw, If someone has already mentioned this, I apologize).

This is a very interesting topic!

• Brohoof 1

I always thought the princesses were viewed as deities somewhat, so I agree that, if Equestria has religion, the ponies would likely worship the two sisters (mainly Celestia, I think).

I think I recall a pony (don't remember who, maybe Rainbow Dash?) saying things like "thank Celestia!", or something like that in the show. This is similar to us saying "thank God", or whatever. So there's that. (Btw, If someone has already mentioned this, I apologize).

This is a very interesting topic!

Yeah, Rainbow Dash said,

"In the name of Celestia." and Rarity said,

"With Celestia as my witness." So Celestia's name is used in vein of a deific figure.

You do bring up an interesting point in that it would be Celestia mainly treated with such reverence. As we can see from Luna Eclipsed, poor Luna's reputation has suffered somewhat over the century that she was away. Almost to the point that Nightmare Moon is considered a demonic figure.

In some ways, She is. Think of the story of Paradise Lost, and how Luna is in a similar vein to a fallen angel. Having assumed Her duties as both the warden of the moon and the guardian of dreams though, I would think Luna is starting to redeem Herself in the eyes of ponies.

Interesting note though, ever notice how Celestia tends to interact more with older ponies while Luna seems to have a certain fondness for foals?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, Rainbow Dash said,

"In the name of Celestia." and Rarity said,

"With Celestia as my witness." So Celestia's name is used in vein of a deific figure.

You do bring up an interesting point in that it would be Celestia mainly treated with such reverence. As we can see from Luna Eclipsed, poor Luna's reputation has suffered somewhat over the century that she was away. Almost to the point that Nightmare Moon is considered a demonic figure.

In some ways, She is. Think of the story of Paradise Lost, and how Luna is in a similar vein to a fallen angel. Having assumed Her duties as both the warden of the moon and the guardian of dreams though, I would think Luna is starting to redeem Herself in the eyes of ponies.

Interesting note though, ever notice how Celestia tends to interact more with older ponies while Luna seems to have a certain fondness for foals?

Yeah...you're right

Celestia does seem to interact with the older ponies, while Luna is often seen helping foals and such. I think it's good that Luna interacts so much with kids- it's a great way to gain everyone's trust.

I mean, yeah, she seems to be doing fine, now, but still. There's probably still some ponies that are a bit "weary" of her. If Luna makes a good impression with children, helping them overcome their fears, that can really redeem herself in the eyes of many ponies- including the parents of the foals she helps.

I'm not really saying this is the reason she helps foals, I'm sure does it because 1.) It's her job, and 2.) She has a good heart, but at the same time, I think she is aware of the effect this helpfulness has on the ponies that once feared her. She likely knows this is a great way to fix her reputation.

I know, what I said here is mostly speculation, but hey, speculation is fun!  :)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah...you're right

Celestia does seem to interact with the older ponies, while Luna is often seen helping foals and such. I think it's good that Luna interacts so much with kids- it's a great way to gain everyone's trust.

I mean, yeah, she seems to be doing fine, now, but still. There's probably still some ponies that are a bit "weary" of her. If Luna makes a good impression with children, helping them overcome their fears, that can really redeem herself in the eyes of many ponies- including the parents of the foals she helps.

I'm not really saying this is the reason she helps foals, I'm sure does it because 1.) It's her job, and 2.) She has a good heart, but at the same time, I think she is aware of the effect this helpfulness has on the ponies that once feared her. She likely knows this is a great way to fix her reputation.

I know, what I said here is mostly speculation, but hey, speculation is fun! :)

That's something that many in this thread seem to have forgotten.

Certainly though Luna wouldn't take advantage of Her station after Her exile. That would kind of destroy the redemption of Her arc.

Yes, the ponies do sometimes call on Celestia.  Not really sure whether that is as a deity or more like the Catholics invoking a saint (or in LOTR, the elves calling on Ethoniel).  Interestingly, they don't seem to invoke Luna the same way, not even as a curse (like the old phrases "devil take it", or "to Hell with you").

When you pray you are literally petitioning God to do something for you.  In ancient times, prayers were seen as rituals to invoke God.  I've read this is what the commandment against taking God's name in vain was all about -not bothering God w idle petitions. The Flying Dutchman supposedly got his start because he swore he would get past The Cape of Good Hope & neither God nor the Devil would stop him (thus showing the hazards)

In his "Incarnations of Immortality" series Pierce Anthony has a new Incarnation of Good showing up in churches to denounce folks saying "God wants this or that".  I could also see Nightmare Moon being worshipped by the equivalent of Satanists.  Hasbro ain't NEVER going to touch either idea, but could make a good fanfic

• Brohoof 1

Yes, the ponies do sometimes call on Celestia.  Not really sure whether that is as a deity or more like the Catholics invoking a saint (or in LOTR, the elves calling on Ethoniel).  Interestingly, they don't seem to invoke Luna the same way, not even as a curse (like the old phrases "devil take it", or "to Hell with you").

When you pray you are literally petitioning God to do something for you.  In ancient times, prayers were seen as rituals to invoke God.  I've read this is what the commandment against taking God's name in vain was all about -not bothering God w idle petitions. The Flying Dutchman supposedly got his start because he swore he would get past The Cape of Good Hope & neither God nor the Devil would stop him (thus showing the hazards)

In his "Incarnations of Immortality" series Pierce Anthony has a new Incarnation of Good showing up in churches to denounce folks saying "God wants this or that".  I could also see Nightmare Moon being worshipped by the equivalent of Satanists.  Hasbro ain't NEVER going to touch either idea, but could make a good fanfic

I touched on that idea of "Luna as demon" actually right above your post.  :P

Tolkien's cosmology went far higher than that actually. At the very top was Eru Ilúvatar, the ultimate benevolent creator of the world and the Valar. Gandalf's proclamations to the Balrog? Not just boasts, but declaring his station as an agent of the Valar. For all intents and purposes, Gandalf is an angel in human form.

Oh and your proposition DID make a good fanfic.  ^_^

past_sins_cover_by_dreatos-d5go4vi.png

That's something that many in this thread seem to have forgotten.

Certainly though Luna wouldn't take advantage of Her station after Her exile. That would kind of destroy the redemption of Her arc.

(Kind of a late reply, I apologize)

I know Luna wouldn't take advantage of her station. She has a good heart, and a legit willingness to lend her wisdom to those in need of it (this is one of many reasons why she's my favorite princess  :) ). She's working hard to repair her reputation, and that work has paid off.

I was just saying that, as Luna helps ponies, I like to think in the back of her mind, she's thinking to herself "See? I'm not evil anymore. I care about you all. You see that now, right? I wouldn't do all of this if I didn't care..."

While I sometimes think Luna is aware of the effect her assistance has, I don't mean she is aware of it in a malicious or dishonest way. She's goes into dreams to help ponies because she legitimately cares, and hopes/thinks that by doing so, everyone will see that she has indeed changed. Does that make more sense? lol 

• Brohoof 2

Although it will never happen, I'm hoping they have some sort of secret god they all worship. Or like a cult that worships it.

Personally I want it to be like the worm from bravest warriors

DDSt6hw.gif