Banner by ~ Zero

Should there be EQG-esque character shorts for the background ponies?

I wonder....

I think it's cool that Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks did some shorts as sort of a prequel to the actual movie, with a few minutes dedicated to telling a super quick story centered around a specific character's slice of life.

And I'm sure that there are quite a few background characters the fandom would like to see get their slice of the spotlight in an episode. Some people of the fandom tend to ask for way too much, though, so wouldn't it be best if Hasbro gave into demand and chose to put more spotlight on a few of the more popular background ponies, before tackling the lesser known ones, in EQG-like shorts?

I recall that back during Generation 1 of MLP, the show creators cycled through a crapton of new pony characters almost every episode, so there wasn't really enough time to allow the younger generation the show was directed at enough time to settle on one specific character that they liked, or no time for the show to really develop all the ponies at all.

G4 seems to suffer from the opposite, where they seem to be sticking to a set cast of 6 ponies who get front and center focus, and don't really seem to interact with ponies outside of their tight-knit friendship group too often (though they do in the comics), and over time- that would begin to hinder their 6 characters, especially since FIM has been greenlit for another 5 years.

A series analyst called Canned cream explains the benefits of focus on other characters outside the mane 6 at around 3:33.

That said, should Hasbro start trying their hand at starting small with 2 or 3 minute shorts that focus on MLP: FIM background characters?, before gradually allowing them some time in the show, to interact with the Mane 6, and perhaps- well into an unseen future, start being groomed to be the next main cast of Generation 5?

I'm sure, if they do do this, the first characters we'll be seeing shorts of are Vinyl, Derpy, Dr Hooves, Lyra, Octavia, Bon Bon, and others like Cherilee, Big mac, Coco Pommel, Babs Seed, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, ect.

personally, I'm itching for a short about Bumblesweet.

Badges

I don't see why not. As long as they keep it short enough to not heavily establish any in stone character traits, there really is no way to loose on it. It would increase the marketability of those characters, and grow their fanbases more. Really, unless they do something like going against fanon for the purpose of going against it, there really is no way for Hasbro to loose on it. gotta sell dem toys mayn.

I don't see why not. As long as they keep it short enough to not heavily establish any in stone character traits, there really is no way to loose on it. It would increase the marketability of those characters, and grow their fanbases more. Really, unless they do something like going against fanon for the purpose of going against it, there really is no way for Hasbro to loose on it. gotta sell dem toys mayn.

glad you seem to agree on the issue. I, too, can't see any harm in doing something like that (which is obviously why I made the topic ), It does seem like win win situation, after all.....

Badges

glad you seem to agree on the issue. I, too, can't see any harm in doing something like that (which is obviously why I made the topic ), It does seem like win win situation, after all.....

For Hasbro there really isn't any way to loose on it. People want to see more background characters, and it would only increase the number of people knowing about them and wanting the merchandise.