Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How cheap are you? Or perhaps, how are you cheap?

IceeBrony

I found myself making dinner tonight. And, for the second night in a row, discovered I was using old meat. A week and a half past the sell/freeze date. So what do I do? "Oh well, I'll just over cook it and it should be fine." My next thought: "No way I'm going to waste $5." I do this ALL the time. But usually only for myself. No way would I serve this to anyone.

So, I figure we are all a bit cheap sometimes. Sometimes it's out of need, other times it isn't. Do you buy bargain or sales clothes? Do you save pencils? Refill your water bottles? Where do you pinch your pennies? 

For me, it's food. I have a bag of two month old crackers I'm finishing. Why yes, they are quite stale. 

I'm hoping for a bit of lightheartedness here, but what comes will come.

• Brohoof 3

I usually buy pre-owned games with a warrant, so I guess I'm cheap. xp Nah, I wouldn't say I'm very cheap, but I do grab some cool cheap stuff every once and a while. 

As I once told a friend,

If somebody proposed to me with a costume jewelry ring, I'd leap into their arms and shout "YES! YOU'RE JUST AS CHEAP AS ME!"

If somebody proposed to me with a ring pop, we'd skip the wedding, we'd already be soulmates.
  • Brohoof 6

When fruit gets rotten, i just cut off the rotten part and eat the rest.  XD

I'll not buy food that I want unless it's on sale.

The test books for my college class cost like 15 cents each or something, and I just tear out the pages I wrote on from the last test and reuse old ones. 

I pick up pennies off the street.

I haven't bought clothes in years.  I just patch up the holes with glue and a piece of fabric from something that is beyond repair.  

I save containers from food if it's not too flimsy.

I take a whole bunch of spoons and sauces from the fast food/frozen yogurt places.  

Edited by ScumCandy
  • Brohoof 4

I save plastic sourcream containers to use as paint storage for my art class ^^; 

That's not being cheap, that's recycling!  Good on ya, mate. We do the same thing. :squee:

I tend to shop at the Dollar store or Bulk food place for sweets.They're cheaper there.

• Brohoof 2

I've ceased the need to buy spoons by no longer using them, All my dishware is old containers, I used to go to buffet places right before they switch out their breakfast things so I could eat two meals for the price of one. I just try and find as many ways to be cheap as possible

When it comes to cheapness, I would hardly say I'm cheap at all...

Though quality food comes from quality ingredients I always say, and I tend to be a bit extravagant with my foods.

And of course, I couldn't forget the extra cakes for supper.. And morning tea things... And afternoon tea... Yes..  Lunch too, breakfast meals can't be discounted either...  :blink:

In fact there are certain stores I'd avoid for "cheap food" it's terrible, the same goes for all kinds of things, clothes, utilities, bedding, furniture, computers, you name it... but that's how I've grown up, and I can't really help it.  :(

As I once told a friend,

If somebody proposed to me with a costume jewelry ring, I'd leap into their arms and shout "YES! YOU'RE JUST AS CHEAP AS ME!"

If somebody proposed to me with a ring pop, we'd skip the wedding, we'd already be soulmates.

What if said person proposed with a jar of ring pops? Would your vows be "until death do us part... Or until I run out of rings anyways"? :lol:

Me, personally, I don't think I'm cheap. I usually live by " you get what you pay for" and would rather buy a well built, expensive pair of sunglasses for example, then keep buying cheap pairs as they break. My grandparents love buying the cheap stuff and having to constantly replace them it seems.

Some stuff I will go cheap on though since I know better. Like HDMI cables and stuff, I buy them on monoprice for mere dollars instead of spending 25 at a store. There is no reason for some things to cost as much as they do. And I refuse to buy diamonds. They are not rare at all and are just controlled by a monopoly. My future fiancé better get used to that idea and find something that's actually worth being meaningful.

• Brohoof 1

I found myself making dinner tonight. And, for the second night in a row, discovered I was using old meat. A week and a half past the sell/freeze date. So what do I do? "Oh well, I'll just over cook it and it should be fine." My next thought: "No way I'm going to waste $5." I do this ALL the time. But usually only for myself. No way would I serve this to anyone.

So, I figure we are all a bit cheap sometimes. Sometimes it's out of need, other times it isn't. Do you buy bargain or sales clothes? Do you save pencils? Refill your water bottles? Where do you pinch your pennies? 

For me, it's food. I have a bag of two month old crackers I'm finishing. Why yes, they are quite stale. 

I'm hoping for a bit of lightheartedness here, but what comes will come.

Hey I honestly don't think that mindset is 'cheap' of you though. I've said this in another post elsewhere, but we're living in a time where we are litterally counting each dime we make because we're struggling to make a living. We're more aware of what we waste then we usually do and quite frankly, this isn't new to me in regards to reusing old meat or veggies.

In my family we do that all the time, in fact yesterday was my 3rd day of eating left over macorooni and cheese that was made for a birthday dinner for my brother. Heck we'll use left over hamburger meat and turn that into tacos the next night. Ever watched the show "Chopped"? Sometimes they challenge chefs to make a gormet meal out of leftovers entirely! It's a great way to save money, not waste, and get creative with what you put in your mouth.

Ok now in regards to me being 'cheap' however... I guess, it would be not being picky enough like others are. If it's the cheapest chicken, bread, pastries etc, I'm gonna go for it. But usually you get what you buy.

I am inclined to be cheap, but lately my mom has urged me to spend some of the money that I'm making on myself so I can have fun, and it has really lightened me up.

When it comes to food, though... I am NEVER cheap. In fact, I'm terribly picky with even the quality of a particular batch of the snacks I eat. Sometimes the batches are so bad in my mind that I end up throwing the whole package away and moving on to something else.

Usually I attribute my pickiness as something that is completely outside of my control, but in this case it really is just me being picky to be picky. It's a terrible habit I have picked up. I have tried to remedy it by finding snacks that I find consistently good. Lately that has been pretzels, and they've worked really well for me over the last month. I haven't wasted a single package and I'm hoping I can keep that up. =)

• Brohoof 1

lets see.

buy games only on steam sales that are 75% less or more.

enter a public transport that its slower and far more crowded (99% there are no seats and 50% i cant get past the first meters past the door cause of the people) because its about 150 pesos less than the other bus (which would probably be 5 cents more or less).

"buy albums? there must be another way to listen to my artist without feeling guilty for not paying, aaah, spotify"

"ill keep this bottle of water and fill it in free (drink thingies i forgot the name) everytime instead of buying more water"

• Brohoof 1

I'm anything but cheap. Whenever I get my paycheck, it's usually gone in a few days. I blow it on random crap. I should probably save my money for important stuff.

alright I know what stale crackers taste like I ate a 2 year old cracker. We was feedin them to ducks worst thing I ever tasted in my life hooves down

as for how cheap am I? I aint cheap can't really say much being unemployed and I don't have an allowance so I rarely have any money to call my own let me try to recall a time where I was

nope I got nothin mate

• 5 years later...