Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon act the way they do?

ggg-2

What is the reason for their behavior? We haven't met Silver Spoon's parents but we have met Diamond Tiara's father, who seems really nice, so I think, at least for Di, that a rough upbringing is out.

Edited by ggg-2

I'm not sure exactly. Maybe DT is just the stereotypical rich girl who wants to have everything her own way? I also get the feeling that Silver Spoon just kind of tags along with her, rather than really being similar to her.

They're just pricks. There isn't a deep explanation, they're just sadistic little fucks

._. That seems a little extreme. They're just fillies.

Edited by Frostgage

I think that Silver Spoon has self esteem issues and follows Diamond Tiara due to a sense of misguided purpose. It is seen in Pinkie Pride that Silver Spoon does have her own mind though.  I've already gone into Diamond Tiara and how she really needs further exploration on the show. Right now I think that she just has a grossly inflated sense of self worth. :D

@@Frostgage,

Do tell me when any normal kid goes up to someone who's disabled and then mocks them for said disability, for the sole purpose of crushing their spirit so that they don't compete against them 

If you're talking about Scootaloo, you can hardly call her "disabled".

If you're talking about Scootaloo, you can hardly call her "disabled".

If someone's missing a leg, they can still move around, but it's nowhere near the level that their maximum would be. Same with Scootaloo

This looks like it might be an interesting discussion. I personally do view Scootaloo as being 'possibly' disabled. I think the DT vs Scoots scene plays out well in that context. However, It could be simple bullying, since Diamond Tiara agreed with Silver Spoon that their prior approach wouldn't work.

:blink:

OH!

That might be the key right there. They weren't bullying for the sake of bullying. There was a motivation and a goal that they wanted to achieve beyond just being horrible.

• Brohoof 2

Diamond Tiara acts that way, because she's a spoiled brat.  She's rich, and has probably never been told no, so she assumes she can have whatever she wants.  If someone is not up to par with her in some way (like cutie marks), then she feels she is superior to them.  

Silver Spoon is just the average kid who wants to fit in with the popular girls, so she acts the same so Diamond will accept her.

If someone's missing a leg, they can still move around, but it's nowhere near the level that their maximum would be. Same with Scootaloo

But by using the term "disabled" you make it sound like Scootaloo will never be able to fly. If a baby that takes longer than normal to walk, that doesn't mean it's disabled.

But by using the term "disabled" you make it sound like Scootaloo will never be able to fly. If a baby that takes longer than normal to walk, that doesn't mean it's disabled.

Pound Cake was able to fly as a baby, Scootaloo isn't. It's not impossible that Scootaloo will always be a chicken so to speak, there's no proof either way

They are bullies. I mean that is all there is to it. They pick on the CMCs because they are blank flanks. You can easily compare that to real life. There are also (much worse) bullies in real life.

To put it in another way, picking on someone who is at a disadvantage to you can make you feel superior in a way, which is why I think Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon act the way they do, to feel superior.

Pound Cake was able to fly as a baby, Scootaloo isn't. It's not impossible that Scootaloo will always be a chicken so to speak, there's no proof either way

There was a Twitter post somewhere about that... forgot where it went

Anyway, they said that pegasus magic (very much like unicorn magic, but in the way that it gives them the ability to fly) is very unstable when they are young. They'll have flying outbursts, but won't have much control over it. In order to control it, they have to train. A good example is Fluttershy, who was OLDER then Scootaloo, and couldn't fly, but didn't turn out disabled. It just takes longer for others (If you want to bring fanon in to this, you may say it's taking longer for Scoot's because of a lack of parents).

So, where does this tie into this? It's not only because Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara were not making fun of a disability, it's mostly because they don't understand. They don't understand that Scootaloo is taking more time, or the CMC could be good friends, and that they are nice ponies. A bit of a head canon here, but maybe their parents aren't around a lot. Diamond's dad is obviously a big business pony, maybe it's the same with her mom, and Silver Spoon's parents, and all of them are just too busy. To make themselves feel better, they probably mock the CMC. This is a show about technicolor ponies learning friendship, I'm sure the reason isn't just because they are pricks. In all honesty, they may just be classic villains for the show, but if they were to give them back stories, it'd probably be shown they are really not that bad of ponies.

@,

There are plenty of douche ponies in the show with little reason other than

"I'm evil"

Sunset Shimmer and Trixie come to mind 

But Sunset was because she just couldn't understand friendship, and Trixie was just jealous. With Trixie, she was just arrogant, but I have a friend who is like that, but it doesn't make him a bad person

@,

No, Sunset was just jealous. Her little prequel comic makes it very clear that she didn't give a crap about others and cared about herself soley. Getting hit with the EOH tends to give you a different perspective, see it changing NMM from a genocidal maniac to a caring pony 

And I highly doubt your friend centers their entire life around revenge for someone and takes the magical equivalent of steroids to beat their rival

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are the antagonists to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, the protagonists.

@,

No, Sunset was just jealous. Her little prequel comic makes it very clear that she didn't give a crap about others and cared about herself soley. Getting hit with the EOH tends to give you a different perspective, see it changing NMM from a genocidal maniac to a caring pony 

And I highly doubt your friend centers their entire life around revenge for someone and takes the magical equivalent of steroids to beat their rival

Okay then,

It sounds totally believable that villains in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic are just completely evil with no backstory or no reason behind it. Because that's how it works in real life, and that's also the best writing techniques. Yes, are cute little equines are just assholes, they just are. Are they good? Oh no no no, little girls don't like it when ponies are good

It sounds totally believable that villains in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic are just completely evil with no backstory or no reason behind it. Because that's how it works in real life, and that's also the best writing techniques. Yes, are cute little equines are just assholes, they just are. Are they good? Oh no no no, little girls don't like it when ponies are good

Most children's show villains tend to be douches for no reason other than the plot. Every villain from G1 falls under this, Sombra, Tirek, and Chrysalis do as well

And don't bring real life into this, that' beyond foolish and crosses into the grasping at straws zone

Because that's how it works in real life, and that's also the best writing techniques.

Said no heralded fiction writer ever. :P

I agree with most of your points, but this one I can't. Outside of the faceless villain trope, no writer creates an antagonist without some semblance of depth and secondary motivation. Even popular thrillers (one of the largest stable genres) who can technically include psychopathic murderers who no motivation don't. Why? Reader interest falls when there is no motivation beyond ... "I'm bad. Cause reasons".

In fact, I know that in fan fic, creating a Mary Sue will cause screams of Khan. In KDP ... the same thing happens when you create boring evil.

• Brohoof 1

Hey everybody, please make useful posts and keep things on topic.  We're here mainly to discuss Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.  Some comparisons to other villains and the handling of antagonists in MLP:FiM in general is also relevant but let's take care to avoid sarcasm and pointless remarks.  Thanks!  :)

Diamond Tiara is that little spoiled brat at school that just wants attention. Her father is THE type to promise to spend time with her only to turn around and have to go to some "special meeting." She feels bad because she doesn't feel special, so she makes other ponies feel bad to get that "special" feeling. Silver Spoon is just that average kid that wants to tag around with the cool kids. You can tell she does at times feel bad about treating the CMC like she does.

They're mean because MLP needs villains for the little kids or else their lives wouldn't be as half as interesting and no one would really care for the CMC because they have no struggles in life.

takes the magical equivalent of steroids to beat their rival

You have made me laugh. I thank you for that.

By the way, what is the character in you profile picture's name?

• Brohoof 1