Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Do you love, or dislike, much outside references?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Yes, yes, some people among us love the sight of our favourite ... media being referenced to in our games and movies. From the pony keychains in Watch Dogs, to the Party Girl in Terraria, to a scene in the cartoon "TAWOG" that imitates somewhat of Gollum and the One Ring at Mount Doom in a trash-dump.

So, are you in favour of as many outside references to other works, or do you want to see them become more independent?

I have no problem with references as long as they aren't intrusive. The Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End) are chock full of references, but they're done well. Take them out, and you've still got a really funny and entertaining movie; none of them rely so heavily on references that they'd can't stand on their own without them. People who don't get them won't notice, and people who do won't be distracted.

The worst kind of reference is the kind that draws attention to the fact that it's a reference. The novel Ready Player One and the movie Fanboys (both written by the same guy) are examples of this: they really force the references, hoping the audience will be too distracted by the mentions of things they like to notice that the whole thing is actually rubbish.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 1

Heh, I don't know what you're talking about; I love outside references. I know MLP has done several of those last season (slendermane, grumpy cat, and from a while back, chocolate rain and truffle shuffle). I think it helps attracts viewers as well since people like to relate.

I sure like to see outside references as long as I understand them. If I don't understand them, I just find them frustrating.

You can usually tell when there is a reference even if you don't fully know where it's coming from. 

Depends. Sometimes you get things like No More Heroes or Megas XLR where they're reference heavy, but the meat of the attraction is still great with or without the references

Then you get things like those awful parody movies where they just take a bunch of pop culture stuff and just throw them together in order to be lazy

Hey there, @HorsesandMOARGaloar. As your topic deals with the media in some form, it fits better in Media Discussion than it does in General Discussion. Therefore, I have moved it from the latter to the former.

As your topic deals with various aspects of the media, I have affixed it with a General Media prefix.

Personally, I don't care about outside references in anything as long as it's not severely out of place and/or offensive relevant to the work it is placed in, and as long as it does not distract from or otherwise subtract from the work itself in any way.

It depends on the nature of the media.

I'm mostly a less is more guy in regards to references,unless they are pulled off good enough (look at Double Rainboom for something that gets consumed by its references).