Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you drive a manual transmission (stick shift)

SolidTwilight

So my last 3 cars (well trucks) have had a manual transmission and I have been driving stick for about 6 years now. I really like it. it give me somthing to do other then just hit the gas and I don't like things being done for me. I think I will always get a stander car for the rest of my life. I am one of those people that loves to touch things so it keeps my hands entertained. also it is really fun when I am mad to rip through the gears. On a funny side note I learned to dive stick on my friends 1967 VW bug. the very same car that my dad and most people his age learned to drive stick with. also I did not stall once the first time I drove it for 5 or 10 minutes.

the stick shift cars I have owned: (still have both jeeps)

1994 dodge dakota

1944 Willys-Overland MB (WWII Jeep)

2009 Jeep wrangler unlimited

I just thought of part of Wreck it Ralph

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

I tried to learn how to drive a stick shift once, it was hard but it was kinda fun.  :P  I hated stopping on a hill and rolling backwards when I tried to start up again, it's scary  :o

I prefer two pedals thank you very much.

The tl;dr version is yes. I had to do a favor for a friend that involved driving his soon-to-be car for him. I did well enough to not look like a complete buffoon, but there's room for improvement. It's a skill I want to work on improving in the future, too.

Semi-related: my first car had a dual-automated-clutch DSG transmission, so I could "manually" shift gears, though it would be poser-ish of me to say I learned manual on that car. I actually learned on my friend's 2WD Jeep Compass. After getting over the fact that Jeep still produces a vehicle without 4WD, I was treated to what I can only believe to be the worst manual transmission ever created. It was so unforgiving and sloppy to shift that driving my other friend's car (mentioned above) was like a dream by comparison.

My preferred type is manual. Manual cars tend to cost less, eat up less gas (well maybe except for newer models where it sorta balances itself out) and getting license for a stick shift here also covers for auto - but not the other way around.

• Brohoof 1

I learned to drive a manual when I first learned how to drive. My mother actually had a restriction on her license that said she could only drive an automatic, but I wanted to be able to drive anything like my Dad could. I drive an automatic mostly at the moment but being able to get in and drive stick is great to me.

The advantage of manual over automatic is that one, it is much cheaper and also, it uses much less gas. At least in cities.

However, I do prefer automatic. Much easier to use and stuff....

I don't drive a lot though, I absolutely hate it.

EDIT : To actually answer the question, yes, I can, but I don't want to :lol:

Edited by boiteporte

(edited)

Heck no I cannot drive stick! And I refuse to learn! I am perfectly comfortable with my simplified automatic Accord. Holy wow, though. You drove a car from 1944? That's impressive.

I own a car from 1944. (thats me on the right in the photo)

post-27007-0-52860800-1407530022_thumb.jpg

post-27007-0-58042200-1407530260_thumb.jpg

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 2

Nope, I've only driven my Yaris which happens to be an automatic. Im sure I could learn fairly fast with an empty parking lot and youtube, but I'd much rather have that stuff happen automagically.

The advantage of manual over automatic is that one, it is much cheaper and also, it uses much less gas. At least in cities.

However, I do prefer automatic. Much easier to use and stuff....

I don't drive a lot though, I absolutely hate it.

EDIT : To actually answer the question, yes, I can, but I don't want to :lol:

Learning to drive Stick is one of those things you may use later in life (say your at a party, your friends drunk as a skunk you rode with him, and need to get home, only to remember his car is a stick.) plus their easier to drive in winter....and i prefer stick over automatic, even though i currently drive an automatic.

Learning to drive Stick is one of those things you may use later in life (say your at a party, your friends drunk as a skunk you rode with him, and need to get home, only to remember his car is a stick.) plus their easier to drive in winter....and i prefer stick over automatic, even though i currently drive an automatic.

I totally agree with you. But there is one slight problem with your reasoning.

You see, I don't have any friends :lol:

:( 

Huh? My mind can't even comprehend the idea of not having a manual transmission in a car, in all honesty. All I drive are manuals.

"Standards are harder to drive. Say the North Americans. Huh. Ask a European taxi driver who talks to the dispatcher and zig-zags on narrow winding streets with three passangers chatting in the background. He will swear to the life of his mother that stick shifs are better."

"Driving a stick shift car gives you a better sense of control over your vehicle. Without the torque converter constantly pushing you forward, you’ll have an easier time with braking. You’ll also have a much easier time with engine braking or using the momentum of the engine itself to slow yourself down." - it's this quote that makes me believe manuals are far superior to automatics. They offer more control, although at the cost of greater driving responsibility. However, if anything bad was ever to happen, I'd prefer to know that it was (for example) my fault rather than the electronics failing me.

Sure, automatics probably make starting uphill easy as hell, however, if you're a good driver who has a good sense of gears, you won't have a single issue with this. (To some, however, this idea in manuals is simply horrifying).

• Brohoof 1

Wtf does stick mean? Manual or auto? When you say stick, I think of a gear stick. This is why we all need the same bloody english, we confuse each other.

I don't drive, but my brother and his gf drive manual. Vauxhall corsa, is a black limited edition or something. Has enough space I guess.

Wtf does stick mean? Manual or auto? When you say stick, I think of a gear stick. This is why we all need the same bloody english, we confuse each other.

I don't drive, but my brother and his gf drive manual. Vauxhall corsa, is a black limited edition or something. Has enough space I guess.

I will stop saying "stick shift" if you stop saying "maths" and just say "math"

I will stop saying "stick shift" if you stop saying "maths" and just say "math"

Lol. See, its stupid. You say math, I say maths. We say aluminium different too. Chips, crisps. French fries, chips. I don't always say maths, sometimes math. But it's like, we just say it how everyone else does.

Also, stick shift, that's manual?

(edited)

Lol. See, its stupid. You say math, I say maths. We say aluminium different too. Chips, crisps. French fries, chips. I don't always say maths, sometimes math. But it's like, we just say it how everyone else does.

Also, stick shift, that's manual?

stick shift, that's manual? yes, also called "stander" some times. one thing I really hate is how we ponces words different then there spelled. like when I wright the world "busy" I has to say in my head bus-e or I will start typing it out as bizi. ether we say it wrong or it is spelled wrong. pic one dam it! Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

stick shift, that's manual? yes, also called "stander" some times. one thing I really hate is how we ponces words different then there spelled. like when I wright the world "busy" I has to say in my head bus-e or I will start typing it out as bizi. ether we say it wrong or it is spelled wrong. pic one dam it!

. Okay, is kinda weird. We just tend to say manual drive. Lol. And yeah, bizi. Then asda (a store here) is pronounced azda, but I say asda. Or sometimes asta.

But yeah, cars. They be good.

Lololol. Can I drive it? Yes. Am I a "bawss" at it? No. A lot of times I'm really shy with the power, and release the clutch before enough power is added, and the car turns off on me. I guess I can say I'm bad at driving slowly with the manual transmission.

• Brohoof 1

I only had one car with a auto. I have owned 5 cars since and they all were manuals. Manuals are funner and its like you get a better feel for your car.

I had a 1970 mercury with the manual shifter on the steering column. That was kind of fun. I specifically got my 2002 mustang gt with a 5 speed manual. I couldnt imagine it with a 4 speed auto :huh: BORING. The clutch pedal is really hard to press and the shifter is really tight so alot of people I let drive it kill it or dont drive very good. You cant do big burn outs with a auto neither.

I can drive a manual when necessary, not real great at it 'cos I haven't really had much chance to practice, but I can do it. I've driven two cars with a standard, a 1991 Chevy S-10 with a 5-speed, and a 1964 MG Midget with a 4-speed. Only stalled once, and it was in the Midget and it was only because I was not aware that the engine actually needed to be going balls-out in order to get the vehicle moving. That car was so power-starved...

I'm gonna try and play it so that my next car is a manual, but that won't happen for a while. I'm gonna drive my current one 'til it dies.

Edited by Chrysler