Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you drive a manual transmission (stick shift)

SolidTwilight

I honestly prefer auto. Call me lazy or whatever, I don't care. When I get in a car I'm doing so with the goal of getting to point B, not to sit there and do stuff. I like just hopping in and going, just kind of relax. Set it and forget it! And no matter what, I don't consider autos to be "slushboxes" that are slow. My '95 Talon TSi AWD was an auto and it would still smoke plenty of things, silly Camaros and Mustangs that would try to stoplight race me.  :umad:

Though I can drive a manual just fine. I've had mostly autos, but my '74 Gladiator and 2 of the 5 Comanches I have owned were manuals. I was planning on swapping autos into all of them if I had kept them.

You cant do big burn outs with a auto neither.

I beg to differ, you just gotta do it right. My '96 BMW M3 could do them just fine, and so could my '99 Crown Vic (the looks I got doing that one was funny since it was an old cop car). So could my '91 Comanche, but that's a truck so the lack of rear end weight accounts for that mostly. The Bimmer did them the best though between the two cars since TC could be turned off.

My '95 Talon TSi AWD was an auto and it would still smoke plenty of things

That wouldn't really have anything to do with what kind of transmission is in the car. The reason for this is because it's an AWD. Because it splits torque between all four wheels, you get an ungodly off-the-line, meaning you can dominate a simple stoplight race. But because you're splitting your torque, the top-end will suffer. This means that, while an AWD car may smoke a car from a standstill, it might itself get smoked by the same car if both start on a roll. A turbocharger, such as the one fitted on your TSi, can help to alleviate some of this affect, but it will not eliminate it.

It should also be noted that the whole "automatic is slower" argument has become somewhat outdated. Most modern automatics are capable of shifting as fast or faster than their manual counterparts. That's the magic of electronics. Nowadays, the two true benefits of a manual are increased car control and serviceability. A manual transmission is, by and large, a fairly simple contraption. An automatic transmission, on the other hand, is a veritable mind-fuck of clutch plates and fluids. Because of this, manuals are often easier and cheaper to service.

Edited by Chrysler

That wouldn't really have anything to do with what kind of transmission is in the car. The reason for this is because it's an AWD. Because it splits torque between all four wheels, you get an ungodly off-the-line, meaning you can dominate a simple stoplight race. But because you're splitting your torque, the top-end will suffer. This means that, while an AWD car may smoke a car from a standstill, it might itself get smoked by the same car if both start on a roll. A turbocharger, such as the one fitted on your TSi, can help to alleviate some of this affect, but it will not eliminate it.

It should also be noted that the whole "automatic is slower" argument has become somewhat outdated. Most modern automatics are capable of shifting as fast or faster than their manual counterparts. That's the magic of electronics. Nowadays, the two true benefits of a manual are increased car control and serviceability. A manual transmission is, by and large, a fairly simple contraption. An automatic transmission, on the other hand, is a veritable mind-fuck of clutch plates and fluids. Because of this, manuals are often easier and cheaper to service.

Oh yea, I know the AWD was the reason I didn't have takeoff lag. It was just funny when they'd finally catch up 4 lights later and had a look of confusion on their faces. Still, even if it wasn't an AWD model I know they still beat the heavier cars off the line. I always felt the thing had plenty of oomph for the tiny 4 banger that was in it, yet I had a friend with a G1 Talon TSi that had close to 600hp I think (I could be wrong, this was years ago)... I think I'd be scared to drive it. lol

For all y'all complaining about discrepancies in the English language:

It's just differences in dialect is all!

Here are all the ways I know how to say it:

"Can you drive a stick [shift]?"
"Can you drive a clutch?"
"Can you drive a manual?"
"Can you drive a standard?"

and then, for the other side, sometimes automatics are called slush boxes.

My truck is an automatic, but I do know how to drive [with] a clutch.  I've driven my friends Ford Contour that had a manual tranny, but his clutch was really jank, and was slipping hardcore.  You just gotta learn the friction zone.  Every vehicle with a standard is not the same!  Some clutches are tight, some are long thrown, and some are in between!  So, when you go to drive a car with a stick shift that you've never driven before, take time to learn that car's clutch, and where it's friction zone occurs.

I've not driven many road vehicles with sticks, but I've been riding four-wheelers, dirtbikes, and motorcycles with clutches for a very long time, and the concept of the friction zone is the same thing.  

Here's my pride and joy; a 2002 Yamaha V-Star 650:

c15f8d656d.jpg

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, learned on a manual, i've never driven an automatic and very few people i know drive automatic. Where i live manual cars are the "norm", but it seems it's the opposite in US. I honestly prefer manual cars, you feel more "in control" than in an automatic, and there's gotta be a reason why pretty much all race cars are either fully manual or sequential.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

My ex taught me to drive his manual transmission truck when I was 18. Since then it's all I've bought. The only time I don't care for it is when I have to drive in San Francisco, and people don't give me enough space to roll back a little. Normally I leave a goodly amount of space in front of me and just creep up to lights. People behind me can go soak their heads if they don't like it.

• Brohoof 1

I can drive stick. My brother taught me on... I think it was an 86? Mustang convertible. But I'm also lazy, so I have an auto. I have the option, though. It's an 08 Mazda 3, so I don't get the full stick, but I can do a semi manual to Rev the engine higher than my auto wants it to go. I just go up or down with the stick instead of 6 or 7 directions, haha.

I learned how to drive a manual transmission back in '09 when I was 21. Oh man do I have a story about where/how that happened, but that's another story.

A couple of years later I had to drive an older manual pickup about 60 miles on public roads for the first time. I thought it was just a total piece of shit at first- BUT I LEFT THE PARKING BRAKE ON for a couple miles before I noticed LOL. :muffins:

In 2013 I bought a new Chevrolet Camaro with a manual transmission. The first drive from the dealer was the second scariest driving experience in my life. I was so worried I was going to wreck something because the clutch was so tight/finicky because it was new. It was the hardest manual I had driven. I also was far from an expert at this point with barely 12 hours experience with driving a manual.

BUT- once you get good at driving a manual it's great. You definitely feel more connected to the car and road. I like it also because it's more engaging. I'm a hands on type person. I like to drive my car- NOT having the car drive me.

Whenever I go to start an automatic car now, my left foot tries to push down a clutch pedal out of habit. :lol:

post-24370-0-91305400-1411065611_thumb.jpg

My car from the GM website back when I was picking options.

EDIT* I also love driving quads and dirt-bikes too with manual transmissions if that counts.

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 1

2 pedals are OK (most of the time), but 3 is always better.

In sim racing, the clutch pedal is one of the least used bits, next to H-pattern gears. For some, not having a clutch pedal is a deal-breaker. The majority just use auto-clutch and paddles because they have the option to do so. The main advantage is so that a person can better focus on the race in front of them. Real-world drivers like Fangio, Moss, Gurney, Andretti, Senna (to name a few) never had those luxuries, and they got on just fine.

In reality, the clutch pedal is slowly going away as more and more people never learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission. The 3rd pedal is being replaced by dual-clutch and better automatic gearboxes (for the record, DCT =/= slushbox), mainly for the reason I had already pointed out.

Yes, a sequential or DCT will always be faster than a human ever could change gear. That's fine in a race car, but I like fun in my daily-driver (despite the fact that my car has a 4-speed slushbox :().

Edited by Vulon Bii
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I only drive manual gives full control

Over here in the UK, automatics are available on cars since forever but manual gearboxes are more popular and common place on cars unlike over in the USA where it seems the larger majority drives an automatic.

Edited by Scootaloodle

• 3 years later...

Yup! Drove the tractor plenty growing up, and I've been behind the wheel of a few stick shifts here and there. It's been a few years now since I've driven one, but I'm sure I could get back in the swing of it pretty quickly.

In my country you have to learn that.

I own cars with both, but I prefer automatic. Why shift if the car can do it, there is no reason to do it manually ?

@BlueStreak98 Same here, have a farmingtractor  unsyncronised gearbox, even more trouble to put it in the right gear, just have to learn, not very hard I think.

It doesn't seem too hard, it just sounds rather annoying... especially if you live in a city area like me. I'll try to learn stick in case I ever get put into a situation, but I think I'll stick with automatic cars.

I tried automatic on a brand new VW Touran with all the gadgetry it could possibly have but, it felt so weird and... wrong even! Honesty, manual is the only way to go for me and I love changing gears in my Lancia Lybra. It just adds to the already fabulous experience of driving her.