Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports The football (soccer) season is back!

AtomicStone

So it really comes down to this. Germany vs. USA, this tuesday in Montreal.

You girls better be at your best, because you face a team with a winning mentality.

Germany were very fortunate to get past France, having said that, USA will be in for a tough game. 

Looking forward to England vs Canada :squee:

Germany were very fortunate to get past France, having said that, USA will be in for a tough game. 

Looking forward to England vs Canada :squee:

We germans always had a winning mentality, be it man or woman. We played against several technical better opponents in the past, but most of the time we came out on top, because of our sheer will to win. Better be ready, because i have the feeling that this is going to be a very aggresive game and i say, whoever wins this, also wins the finals, no matter who will be their opponents.

We germans always had a winning mentality, be it man or woman. We played against several technical better opponents in the past, but most of the time we came out on top, because of our sheer will to win. Better be ready, because i have the feeling that this is going to be a very aggresive game and i say, whoever wins this, also wins the finals, no matter who will be their opponents.

Can't deny that! England are pretty much the polar opposite of Germany in terms of mentality, I've been saying for years that I wish England were a bit more like Germany. ;) Winning ugly is often the mark of champions! 

This game is crazy, 2-0 up in no time against the run of play... Bardsley's error makes the second half a lot harder, hopefully England can hold out.

England, when it comes to men, have the problem that they never play outside the english league. They are in top clubs yes, but they are not the stars there. Some of them even sit on the bank. They should really go to other countries and learn other play styles.

Look at germanys men. Most of them play at Bayern Munich. Müller, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, etc. these are all top stars in Munich and well respected in the national team. Then we have Ozil, a technically skilled playmaker, who is one of arsenal londons most important players. Toni Kroos, an absolute must in the midfield of Real Madrid. Soon, Sami Khedira will play for Juventus Turin.

England just lacks this experience. Not to mention that they lack world class goalkeepers.

I don't want to sound hateful, i just try to say how it is, in my opinion.

England, when it comes to men, have the problem that they never play outside the english league. They are in top clubs yes, but they are not the stars there. Some of them even sit on the bank. They should really go to other countries and learn other play styles.

Look at germanys men. Most of them play at Bayern Munich. Müller, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, etc. these are all top stars in Munich and well respected in the national team. Then we have Ozil, a technically skilled playmaker, who is one of arsenal londons most important players. Toni Kroos, an absolute must in the midfield of Real Madrid. Soon, Sami Khedira will play for Juventus Turin.

England just lacks this experience. Not to mention that they lack world class goalkeepers.

I don't want to sound hateful, i just try to say how it is, in my opinion.

I agree on all of this, we also have a problem of overrating our homegrown players in terms of media attention and payroll simply because they are homegrown...needless to say it doesn't help with their egos either (I agree with Scholes on this, most play for themselves rather than the badge on the front). The problems with England's mens team are numerous... don't get me started on our goalkeepers :lol: Owen Hargreaves was an exception, playing in Munich gave him that clinical penalty instinct...the guy was ice cold from the spot for England and United :lol:

Germany and Spain are the exemplary national sides as far as I'm concerned, proper team units.

I agree on all of this, we also have a problem of overrating our homegrown players in terms of media attention and payroll simply because they are homegrown...needless to say it doesn't help with their egos either (I agree with Scholes on this, most play for themselves rather than the badge on the front). The problems with England's mens team are numerous... don't get me started on our goalkeepers :lol: Owen Hargreaves was an exception, playing in Munich gave him that clinical penalty instinct...the guy was ice cold from the spot for England and United :lol:

Germany and Spain are the exemplary national sides as far as I'm concerned, proper team units.

I remember Owen. He was also partially german, so that part was for putting in Penalties. But seriously, good man. :lol:

Don't get me started on the overrating part. How much is Harry Kane worth right now? 70 million Euros? Miroslav Klose, who was at his absolute best at Werder Bremen (my local club) got offers from United and they offered just 40 million. Klose was consistent for 3 seasons at that time, Kane now just one.

There was just one world class goal keeper that England created and that's world champ Gordon Banks, though Peter Shilton was also great. Germany on the other hand, is known to be a keeper nation for decades now. Sepp Maier, Bert Trautmann (his old childhood home isn't far from me BTW) Oliver Kahn, Toni Turek, Jens Lehmann and now Manuel Neuer.

I know, it sounds very arrogant from me what i say. But i need to make these comparisions. :P

I remember Owen. He was also partially german, so that part was for putting in Penalties. But seriously, good man. :lol:

Don't get me started on the overrating part. How much is Harry Kane worth right now? 70 million Euros? Miroslav Klose, who was at his absolute best at Werder Bremen (my local club) got offers from United and they offered just 40 million. Klose was consistent for 3 seasons at that time, Kane now just one.

There was just one world class goal keeper that England created and that's world champ Gordon Banks, though Peter Shilton was also great. Germany on the other hand, is known to be a keeper nation for decades now. Sepp Maier, Bert Trautmann (his old childhood home isn't far from me BTW) Oliver Kahn, Toni Turek, Jens Lehmann and now Manuel Neuer.

I know, it sounds very arrogant from me what i say. But i need to make these comparisions. :P

Wish we had a few more with his mentality!

Tell me about it, all you need is to be English and have a good season/international tournament then your value skyrockets. I'm still annoyed at how much United paid for Luke Shaw (30 million for an unproven 18 year old?! :wau: )  I used to live with someone who supported Bremen, probably the Bundesliga team I am most familiar with thanks to him :lol:

Oliver Kahn <3 He was one of my favourites when I was growing up, very entertaining character and a class keeper! I remember watching Neuer at Schalke and thinking he's going to be awesome, I love how he dominates his area and beyond. Barthez used to do the same, with far less success :lol: 

Wish we had a few more with his mentality!

Tell me about it, all you need is to be English and have a good season/international tournament then your value skyrockets. I'm still annoyed at how much United paid for Luke Shaw (30 million for an unproven 18 year old?! :wau: )  I used to live with someone who supported Bremen, probably the Bundesliga team I am most familiar with thanks to him :lol:

Oliver Kahn <3 He was one of my favourites when I was growing up, very entertaining character and a class keeper! I remember watching Neuer at Schalke and thinking he's going to be awesome, I love how he dominates his area and beyond. Barthez used to do the same, with far less success :lol:

Luke Shaw has proven nothing yet, to deserve the praise he gets. I predict that this will be a flop for United and that he will spend most of the season on the bench.

Cool that you know some Werder Fans. I just wish Werder would go back to the glory days, where we always set a mark on the european tournaments and even being in the 2009 Uefa Cup final. It still hurts BTW. :(

If it wasn't for Kahn in the 2002 World Cup, we would have never come so far, because our team at that point where average. Besides Kahn, there where maybe Ballack and Klose and that's it.

I never understood why Barthez never made that impact at United, that he made for Olympique Marseille and AS Monaco. He was really one of the better Goalkeepers of that time, but something must have happend during his switch to United.

Luke Shaw has proven nothing yet, to deserve the praise he gets. I predict that this will be a flop for United and that he will spend most of the season on the bench.

Cool that you know some Werder Fans. I just wish Werder would go back to the glory days, where we always set a mark on the european tournaments and even being in the 2009 Uefa Cup final. It still hurts BTW. :(

If it wasn't for Kahn in the 2002 World Cup, we would have never come so far, because our team at that point where average. Besides Kahn, there where maybe Ballack and Klose and that's it.

I never understood why Barthez never made that impact at United, that he made for Olympique Marseille and AS Monaco. He was really one of the better Goalkeepers of that time, but something must have happend during his switch to United.

Shaw is made of glass, which must be why he cost so much. :lol:

My friend shares that sentiment, I have a feeling Atletico's UCL final loss is going to hurt for many years to come. :okiedokielokie:

He was fantastic, basically a German Peter Schmeichel. Neither goalie looked like they should be as agile as they were :wau:

Barthez was very hot and cold, one minute brilliant then a clown the next. Having said that, I loved watching him at Old Trafford..he was very entertaining (I still remember him slide tackling a striker at the half way line on a breakaway :lol:

Currently watching the MLS. New York City FC are leading at the moment against rivals New York red bull 1-0.

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to New York at the moment, so I may be tempted to go along to an MLS match in September.

Currently watching the MLS. New York City FC are leading at the moment against rivals New York red bull 1-0.

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to New York at the moment, so I may be tempted to go along to an MLS match in September.

I'm tempted to watch the Timbers later, I want to check out some MLS games also. 

If you get the chance, I think that would be a great thing to add to your itinerary ;)

I'm tempted to watch the Timbers later, I want to check out some MLS games also. 

If you get the chance, I think that would be a great thing to add to your itinerary ;)

Kinda split on which team to go and see though, they're both a fair distance from Manhattan itself but then again NYRB are actually based in New Jersey.. Plus NYCFC have David Villa!!

Kinda split on which team to go and see though, they're both a fair distance from Manhattan itself but then again NYRB are actually based in New Jersey.. Plus NYCFC have David Villa!!

David Villa would make that an easy decision for me, they've got my vote! :P

Let us be honest now. The time for talking nice is over.

Tomorrow will be decided, if you guys can keep up with us. I say that you can't and i think you will lose.

That's not an opinion BTW, that's a spoiler.

Germany will win the world cup and there is nothing you can do about it. :P

Definitely going to be the game of the tournament, probably should have been the final! Can't wait to see how it turns out, then onwards to the Lionesses the next day. :P

Definitely going to be the game of the tournament, probably should have been the final! Can't wait to see how it turns out, then onwards to the Lionesses the next day. :P

Seriously now, i dread this game already. :blink:

I hope this dosen't go to extra time and penalties like the france game, because my heart was beating over 200 times a minute and i almost got a cardiac arrest.

Seriously now, i dread this game already. :blink:

I hope this dosen't go to extra time and penalties like the france game, because my heart was beating over 200 times a minute and i almost got a cardiac arrest.

I'm just thankful England didn't have to face either team in this round, although Japan won't be easy for us to overcome.

I'll be surprised if this one goes to penalties, extra time at most I think. Speaking of which, those penalties (minus the final French penalty) were far superior to any England men's penalty shootout I've ever seen. :lol:

I'm just thankful England didn't have to face either team in this round, although Japan won't be easy for us to overcome.

I'll be surprised if this one goes to penalties, extra time at most I think. Speaking of which, those penalties (minus the final French penalty) were far superior to any England men's penalty shootout I've ever seen. :lol:

I will say this now. The winner of Germany and USA will win the cup. This is my personal World Cup Final. Neither England or Japan have what it takes, with all do respect.

I think the penalty shootout between Germany and England from the Euros 96 Semis in Wembley, was the most nerverecking. Both shot them perfectly 5 times, until Gareth Southgate came and Andreas Köpke safed it, giving Andreas Möller the victory goal.

I will say this now. The winner of Germany and USA will win the cup. This is my personal World Cup Final. Neither England or Japan have what it takes, with all do respect.

I think the penalty shootout between Germany and England from the Euros 96 Semis in Wembley, was the most nerverecking. Both shot them perfectly 5 times, until Gareth Southgate came and Andreas Köpke safed it, giving Andreas Möller the victory goal.

Yup, I have no illusions of England winning in the final (if they get there), I would just like to see them in the final.

Thankfully I never watched that one (I started following football in 2002) but Southgate has never been allowed to forget this moment :lol:

Congratulations to the USA! Got a bit lucky with the penalties but I think they edged it overall. I'm glad Johnston's error didn't come back to haunt her, she's been one of my favourite players during this tournament. Well played to Germany though, they made it a tough game! Either team could've won it. :)

I have to sadly agree with Coby above me. The penalty was controversial, but the USA where overall better then us and where always more dangerous. i think they are the faves in the final in vancouver now.

Congrats to the US Girls and good luck in Vancouver.

I maintain that this fixture should have been the final, but now it gives England the chance to qualify (and inevitably lose :lol: ). I think this is the USA's for the taking now, they will have extra motivation if they face Japan and let's be frank, England have heart but lack the technical ability of the rest of the final 4. 

I maintain that this fixture should have been the final, but now it gives England the chance to qualify (and inevitably lose :lol: ). I think this is the USA's for the taking now, they will have extra motivation if they face Japan and let's be frank, England have heart but lack the technical ability of the rest of the final 4. 

I really kind of hope now that England loses, because there is still the match for 3rd place and it would make this more interesting, if Germany could play England. ;)