Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which fandom is considered worse, Bronies or Furrys?

Twilight Mist

I have a friend who is a furry and dresses up as a fox, but nowadays I think we're thought of as more weird! It's like the furrys have used the Bronies as a shield.

Edited by Twilight Mist

i think they r like both bad on the same level because they both do weird stuff like marrying cartoon characters which i dont hate i just think it is weird and both fandoms have ppl that dress in fursuits and like at conventiens so i guess they are both bad

• Brohoof 1

It's just a matter of exposure, furries have always been kind of a underground fandom where as we're mainstream and heavily in the public eye with dozens of cons held every year, two major documentaries(one headed by a major actor), and merch catered to us sold in stores like Hot Topic.

So yeah, it's a matter of us being more visible to the general public.  

• Brohoof 1

What do you mean furries use bronies as a shield?  :wacko:

Also, both bronies and furries get bashed a lot online, though furries are the ones who at some point got the unofficial title of the internet's punching bag. Either way, neither one has a good inherent image to the general public from my perspective, though they also have their nice points too, and large swaths of people giving them a better name.

Regardless, I think sometimes the victimization on both groups tends to be played up a good bit.  :blink:

• Brohoof 3

I think furries are considered worse by a lot of people. I have furry friends. I actually plan to make fursuits of our ponysonas if they visit. I never wore a fursuit, but I really want to. I even has this plan on wearing a Pinkie Pie fursuit and going around acting like Pinkie Pie. (Rarity is my favorite pony, but I can act goofy with Pinkie Pie.) The best thing is that no one will know!

I don't dislike either of them. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Shoboni, I don't really dispute the fact that bronies are much more mainstream, but I do want to point out furries are huge online, have several different 'fur cons' of their own, and I believe have a documentary or two as well.  :) They're far from small, just not as up front in pop culture.

Edited by SFyr

Based on personal experience, I've found bronies to be more frustrating to deal with while have had little problems with furries(despite not being one myself)

In general though I'd say they're both on the same level, though bronies do get more mainstream attention

@@Shoboni, I don't really dispute the fact that bronies are much more mainstream, but I do want to point out furries are huge online, have several different 'fur cons' of their own, and I believe have a documentary or two as well.  :) They're far from small, just not as up front in pop culture.

I said "underground" not small. 

The fact of the matter is that furries have largely fallen from the public eye in the last few years while we're still right there in the spotlight. 

• Brohoof 1

There is no interest that is worse or better, as long as the person does not cross over the line and shove their interest down other people's throat, or having the consequences of harm and suffering.

Edited by Solid Scorpion
  • Brohoof 3

What, do you mean in my opinion? Neither. It really just depends on the kind of people you encounter, and both are too big of groups to generalize anymore, I believe.

In the mainstream public's eye, however, I believe that bronies are often the more hated kind because of our popularity, but those that know about furries would possibly treat them worse.

But also becuase of our popularity, we've seen the backlash decline. Not disappear, but lessen. I don't think I could say the same for the furry community as of now, honestly. mlp-tsad.png

Edited by ReGen

Well, I won't say that any one fandom is bad, worse, or more annoying than another, but I do have some complaints:

1. While I do agree that the quality of Sonic games isn't up to snuff, the amount of whining from the old school bunch seems to me to be somewhat...excessive.

2. In the case of furries, there seems to be a small sect of them that treats being furry as something more than fandom or hobby. Something like being a furry is a life-choice akin to being gay or getting a job.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a little furry myself however I got to say bronies get the hate worse maybe it's the thought of adult men dressing up as cartoon pastel ponies.... 

but personally I am fine with both fandoms...

Edited by Everleaf

Well,when i was browsing for brony stuff,i found a topic on ign which said what group should i join.And there the dude was wondering to join bronies or furries.And there all the responses(15-20 responses)said to join furries,cuz bronies are lowest and most hated on the internet.And everyone agreed there.So maybe we get more hate than furries :D I dunno if im right,correct me if im wrong.

I personally think furries have it worse. It seems like in any big social network online and in other media they are lashed at. Heck, most bronies even think the stereotypes are true. They may be going more in the sidelines with the spotlight but this doesn't excuse more hatred they're still thrown at.

The reputaion of both isn't that really good but the Brony fandom has prominent support whereas the furry fandom doens't.

However, for many there isn't really that much difference between the two, you could say Bronies are Furries who are specialized in equines.

Bronies and furries aren't necessarily mutually exclusive groups. That said, I want to say they're pretty much hated equally as groups, but I'm not sure that's true. Bronies seem to attract much more negative attention than furries do, at least nowadays. I still see furry hate on occasions, but brony hate is much more common.

• Brohoof 1

I've been in the furry fandom long before Bronies were even a thing. If you had asked me this a few years ago, before Bronies really took off, I'd say the furry fandom had it worse off. Nowadays? I honestly think Bronies get more flak than furries do.

Let's look at it this way. The Star Trek and Star Wars fandoms were treated the same way when they were new. People still see them as geeks and nerds, but you don't really hear much more anymore. As a newer fandom comes along and takes off to where it garners attention from those outside of the fandom, older ones slip into the shadows, only to be taunted with a stick once the fad of tearing into the newer ones dies off some.

Now then, do I think one group is worse than the other? No. A small group of stupidly behaving people in each fandom should not skew my judgement on the entire fanbase. I've had overall good experiences in both fandoms, and if I find someone who I can't tolerate, I ignore that person. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to badmouth them or condone the entire fanbase.

• Brohoof 2

Neither, all fandoms are ok. It's just some have got bad apples. My older brother happens to be a furry and I don't judge him for it because I wouldn't want people judging me for being a brony so why would I hypocritically so the same?

Bottom line, there is no worse fandom. It's just bad apples.

• Brohoof 1

I think that just the extremes of the fandoms are weird.  Like sometimes I think fox ears are cool, but people who wear them every day with a tail and paw gloves are pretty strange.  And people who occasionally talk about MLP or wear merch are fine by me, but then the fans that can never shut up about it bother me to no end.  If I had to pick which one was weirder on average, though, I'd say furries.  That's probably because I'm biased, though.

• Brohoof 1

Both Furries and Bronies are misunderstood.

People be getting the wrong idea about furries because of the media.

• MTV documentary  
  • The infamous CSI furry episode
  • ChewFox on the Tyra Banks Show.

​Furries isn't just about sex, they're anthropomorphic animal with human characteristic, people got a favorite they like, just drawthem for fun and role play to escape from reality.

Let not forget Howard Stein said something about brony that gave them a bad name.

• Brohoof 1

No fandom is worse.

Why judge someone else for what they like if you don't wanna be judged for what you like? Everyone is entitled to their own interest. I don't make fun of people for liking Adventure Time(which I really hate) because thy are entitled to enjoy just as I shouldn't be ridiculed for bein a brony.

It should be a win win situation for both. Sure we all have dark sides to our fandoms but so what? There's always going to be the...bad ones...so to speak

From a critic's point of view, furries would be a bit more "normal", as they would focus on the amount of sexualization of content, and MLP would be more harshly judged for "corrupting a kid's show," while furries are considered to be more of an adult based thing, so furries tend to be less harshly judged. Of course in truth, they're both fine (not that I like furries, but I respect those that do), and there is no real "worse" fandom. And who cares what people like and don't like? Why should someone seek it out just to hate on it?

I can say and compare the worst of the two fandoms, but I won't because it would fall under excessive vulgarity.

So on with my answer. Furries. That's right. Furries. I actually had a chat with more than three users that hate the very existence of them. If you want to know my thoughts on why there worse off then bronies, just PM me.

• Brohoof 2

If you were to ask a person on the street who had never heard of either of them, they'd probably say mlp was "worse" because of the whole >_> blue vs pink :blink:  perspective of gender roles, which would suggest all sorts of deviency for bronies, and still a lot for furries. However, if both fandoms got an equal amount of media coverage and visibility as the bronies do now, i think most people would think furries were "worse."

Edited by malexlee