Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A new topic managing system

child of the night

This is mainly just a simple idea but what if you added a whitelist system so you could have a topic where only a small amount of designated people would be allowed to post in your topic but everyone would be allowed to view it. Just an idea but I believe it has merit.

What's the point of making a selective topic,where only a few people can post?

When you make topic,you are saying that everyone can give an opinnion,say something,etc....

Making that thing possible would make certain user superior to others,because they can pist on the "private topic",and here,on MLPForums,the staff tries to put everyone on the same status,no matter its possition,making that unacceptable for anyone.

If you want to privately discuss something with a few persons,make a PM.

I can only see that being useful for maybe RP, which I think is finding a new of in the medium future anyway. I would think that the whitelist approach would be too limiting for a discussion based board like MLPF. I would personally find it frustrating, so I suppose I'm biased.

Just curious what the purpose of a whitelist on MLPF be.

On RPs,it would be fair allowing only a selected people to post,but only there.There's still the problem of this forum being a discussion-oriented one,leading to the next question:

Why would that be useful outside RPs?

• Brohoof 3

I can only see that being useful for maybe RP, which I think is finding a new of in the medium future anyway. I would think that the whitelist approach would be too limiting for a discussion based board like MLPF. I would personally find it frustrating, so I suppose I'm biased.

Just curious what the purpose of a whitelist on MLPF be.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I can support this. Excluding people from topics is almost never a good idea and will lead to forum sections being filled with topics that most users can't participate in. The thing this would be good for is RPs, and they are moving off this site in the future anyway.

• Brohoof 5

This is called the PM system x) You can add people to PM convos at any time. The one and only difference is, they aren't public. But seeing as how there's no valid arguement for why they should be visible, since they'll only serve to cause issues and superiority drama like the above have mentioned, that's not an issue. To PM's with you!

• Brohoof 2

What's the point of making a selective topic,where only a few people can post?

When you make topic,you are saying that everyone can give an opinnion,say something,etc....

Making that thing possible would make certain user superior to others,because they can pist on the "private topic",and here,on MLPForums,the staff tries to put everyone on the same status,no matter its possition,making that unacceptable for anyone.

If you want to privately discuss something with a few persons,make a PM.

On RPs,it would be fair allowing only a selected people to post,but only there.There's still the problem of this forum being a discussion-oriented one,leading to the next question:

Why would that be useful outside RPs?

I was trying to be nice and not say it was a bad idea. It serves no productive purpose to make exclusive topics. It invites a clique mentality and will discourage new user participation. It will lead to serious abuse, and can act as a backseat moderation tool to lock out users you don't get along with.

Quite frankly, I hate the idea with every fiber of my being.

So much for being nice. :(

Ultimately I don't feel this is a feature that will be implemented on MLP Forums for reasons stated by Moony, Jeric and CD. It would cause more issues then its worth and ultimately only serve to push the community further apart from itself.

• Brohoof 2

Basically everything I would want to say has already been stated on why I don't support this either. There just isn't any real valid reasoning behind having something like this. Besides in RP's(Which i don't RP, but isn't this already included in the RP section to some extent?)

I've had group PM's before, and they're perfect for if you only want to discuss something with a certain group of people. 

There's really no reason to have a public topic, but then exclude people from a public topic, that kinda defeats the purpose of a topic on a forum like this anyways.