Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it natural for Equestrian ponies to habitually break into song randomly?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Psychologically it appears that is a "happy mode" that increases the chance for a spontaneous outburst, so one must assume that, They instinctively break into song to celebrate and tell everyone their happy

I once posited a headcanon that "ponies breaking into song" is actually caused by a magically-affected gene which was inherited to common ponies many generations ago by a milkmaid who would only speak in song. Many ponies have it to a minor degree, but it is a dominant trait exhibited in Pinkie Pie.

Psychologically it appears that is a "happy mode" that increases the chance for a spontaneous outburst, so one must assume that, They instinctively break into song to celebrate and tell everyone their happy

but they sing when sad or scared, too.

All ponies have an innate sense of musical ability that even the most shy, unassuming and tone-deaf pony can burst into a fully-realized song at the drop of a hat. In fact, this is so heavily ingrained in them that it activates a psychic link to nearby ponies that allows them to sing backup perfectly.

Unfortunately, this is not always convenient:

Lol wut? fancy way of saying i work at burger king 

Don't laugh. Qualified psychologists, as an exercize (or an April Fool's Day joke), have done a thesis on Bruce Wayne.

(That document usually turns out to be the size of a phone book, with his issues.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

I suspect its contagious like yawning or laughter, for them but much stronger. But I suspect there are some ponies, like the equestrian games representative, who do not sing that often.

So it could just be the friendlier areas do so, or because they are the elements of harmony, but who knows which is the exception to the rule. 

As with many PG-13 children's based creatures, since the time of Walt Disney, it has been their credo to express themselves through the art of song and drama, even as they writhe in agony.

As a professional assassin also told me, its the best time to sneak in a well placed headshot with high success and minimal consequence.

Well, most of the songs in the show aren't really acted, I guess. I think you could say that the ponies don't even know they're singing, it's just part of the story.