Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old is not young anymore?

RainbowMau

I'll be 29 in a month, apparently I'm not considered a young adult anymore in most countries, my brain is fully developed, I'm supposed to be fully grown up, at my age everyone gets married and have kids. By this age I should have already passed through all love experiences.

However I still don't reach the physical declination and in my country I'm still considered legally young and I'll still be until 35, I'm still part of some juvenile tv and radio stations' target audience, I'm still not old enough to be a teen's father and I still don't have legal age to become president.

So what age do you think youth ends?

Edited by RainbowMau

You're as young as you feel.

My cousin is in her 30's, but she looks really young and acts really young.  And her boyfriend is older than her, and I think he's young at heart, because he still slides around on the floor with socks on.  XD

• Brohoof 11

It's all relative. I was 19 in an informal class, and everyone there appeared to be from 25 to 60 years old. If I go back to my high school to chat with friends, I'm considered an old guy.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, just be glad you won't be considered an old butt until then!  :catface: 

I think it ends when you're 50. That's usually the age where you get old people problems (in my opinion x3). Perhaps mentally, you can be as young as you want. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well. I think that I may be able to throw a little insight on this concept. Since the OP comes across more as a 'state of mind' post and not a lifespan question ... that's how I will address it. Not so much for RM's benefit, but mostly because it makes me feel better about myself. Check my profile, or dig through my post history. You will see my age. I'm 37 years old. I'm not completely sure, but I think that at least puts me in the to 5% of the age demographic for the Brony fandom.

:P

Those that may know me might see an ocean wide breadth of how I come across. Sometimes I wax philosophically and over analyze the world around me. Sometimes I act like a complete unapologetic screwball. That isn't an act. That is how I am. I have this undercurrent of goofballery (I think I just made up a word!) that is usually somewhere on the surface waiting to pop out. I can also carry myself with a reasonable amount of maturity and poise. Did that come with age? Did getting ... ugh ... old ... make me more mature? Step into my TARDIS friends.

February 9, 2007 - Jeric - Age 30 - My Birthday Party

I recall a conversation later that night with my wife when she asked me how does it feel to be 30. In truth, I was pondering this question in the week leading up to what I assumed would be a surprise party (take that Jessica ... I know your game). I look at her and told her the only truth I found that week. I feel 17. She gave me a quizzical look and I explained it like this -- When I was younger I expected that with age I would change, become ... I don't know ... different. Like a metamorphosis. That was always my assumption. Standing there I explained that I didn't feel any different than the 17 year old me. I felt like the same guy. Sure I had 13 years more experience that lead me being able to make informed decisions ... but I didn't feel like I was wiser. I felt 17 ... just with more information and memories. I did say that I had a greater appreciation of life itself. I said that maybe my outlook was a little more optimistic ... but I didn't feel old ... or even older. I changed over the years ... but I most certainly didn't feel old.

August 14, 2014 - Jeric - Age 37 - Posting on MLPF

How old do I feel now. I feel 17. Actually, at times I feel 17 with a little sliver of that '10 year old me' when I watch the show that brought me here ... so there is that.

:blink:

Maybe one day I at a convention you'll see me and be able to see what those that know me IRL see ... I am young. Mature and responsible ... but I feel 17. I exude energy, passion, and hope. I am a goofball with an encyclopedia in one hand, Leaves of Grass in the other, and a Rarity plushie tied to my hat. Age is irrelevant to what makes you ... you. I love who I am ... and I love that I can be whimsical, introspective, and ice cold serious.  

When I am 70 this will be me.

SixFlagsOldMan.jpg

I also want @The JLmle to weigh in here. I call upon her ... since I suspect that we have similar outlooks on this idea of ... age and inner youth.

• Brohoof 8

Does it really even matter? Biologically speaking yes but in the grand scheme of things I don't really think so. I have noticed a pattern in your threads and posts in that you seem to obsess over youth and the past and life is way too short to be doing that sort of thing. The bottom line is I am who I am and yes I am going to be mature by taking care of my responsibilities but that dosen't mean that I am going to stop being "childish" either. I often picture myself as a 90 year old man playing video games and watching cartoons and why not? If I like still like those things when I am 90 why shouldn't I just not worry about what society has to say and just enjoy them?

• Brohoof 6

Does it really even matter? Biologically speaking yes but in the grand scheme of things I don't really think so. I have noticed a pattern in your threads and posts in that you seem to obsess over youth and the past and life is way too short to be doing that sort of thing. The bottom line is I am who I am and yes I am going to be mature by taking care of my responsibilities but that dosen't mean that I am going to stop being "childish" either. I often picture myself as a 90 year old man playing video games and watching cartoons and why not? If I like still like those things when I am 90 why shouldn't I just not worry about what society has to say and just enjoy them?

THIS. Personally, I sometimes struggle with the notion that I SUCK at being a grownup (I'm twenty, BTW), because everyone makes me feel that way, my parents especially (they hate everything I like). But, you have to find a balance. I can be mature and get myself together when needed. For example, I make all my own appointments, my parents aren't involved in my college education at all, I get up and go to work and school every day, pay my bills on time and know where my priorities lie. But, I also believe I can do all of these things while liking ponies and Frozen and Princess Sofia, etc. If someone wants to judge me for being twenty and wearing kids' clothes, let them (I'm small and easily fit into a 14/16, which is great and saves me money on shirts sometimes. But, I DO still wear grownup clothes too (Charlotte Russe is my best friend)). I'm not going to apologise for being me.

My friends like to say that people who say things like that are just jealous. They work SO hard to put up a grownup front, and are irked that people like us can be ourselves all day, everyday and not give a flying f***.

But, I will also admit that there are lines between appropriate and inappropriate. For example, I'm not going to give a presentation in class in jeans and a pony shirt, I'm going to wear one of my nice, grownup dresses or my suit and I'm not going to look like a child or a bum in public/at school because I can, I'm going to be presentable. (Unless it's pouring rain. Then, even when it's 80 degrees, it's jeans, t-shirt and boots time. XD)

Edited by LostButterflyUtau
  • Brohoof 5

@@Jeric

I think we do my friend, I was originally going to say something fairly expected like you're only as young as you feel; or the day I stop being young at heart is the day they lay me into ground...

I'm going with one year dead :P

But yeah, it's all about how you feel and how the world affects you... Not the amount of years you've spent on this rock, but how it affects you; If you stick with the mindset that "oh I'm too old for that;" you're gonna age quicker than if you have a "I'm just gonna be me and make the best out of the time I have on this earth" mentality... You and I Jeric,seem to have the latter attitude and I love you for it! As you may know, I'm 36... Just about a year younger than you... But I only act it when I have to! At work, I'm the consummate professional... Well, at least while working, I goof around with the best of them on breaks ;) 

But outside of that, I'm me! And I make no apologies for being me... I still try to respect others, but I will not, under any circumstances conform to society. I wear mismatched socks intentionally... I'll sing and dance or even cluck like a chicken in the store... I'll talk and joke with total strangers just to try and make them smile... For instance, a few years ago I got sunburnt to a bucking crisp! My whole body was beet red and I got so many stares... Did I hid my face? Did I shrink away and try to hide? No! I gave them a reason to stare and started singing...

That's probably why I get along with my nephews so well... I'm more of a friend than an authority figure... I'm responsible enough that I make sure they're safe.. otherwise whatever they want pretty much goes and I have a blast with them! Speaking of which, I get to see them today so I better bolt! I'll give this thread a follow and maybe check in again tonight!

• Brohoof 5

I had the mind set of an 18 to 20 year old when i was 10. Wasnt intrested in firetrucks or being an astronaut i wanted to under stand how electricty made things go. I wanted to understand gravity and most of all i developed a keen intrest in world war 2. Now im 25 next month i still feel like a kid or teenager at times and trust mebwhen im 29 in 4 years im still bot going to be married or thibking about kids. Id say like everyone else your as young orbold as you feel.

Also your brain is never fully developed, physically maybe but unless you have decided to never learn a new thing your mind will continue to change and expand.

post-25968-0-68649300-1408030469.jpg

Edited by Digit
  • Brohoof 1

I say when you are 40 you are not so (young) however not old ether kinda in the middle so about 40 I guess though....

BTW ... that is me in three years. I'll still be 17.

3854805464_Bugs_Bunny_NEENER_NEENER_NEEN

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric hit the nail on the head - that's what I'll be like when I'm that age, but with a different kind of spin...  I'm only 19 (will be 20 next month) and mentally, I'm still just a kid, of course, besides being smarter now.  On the other hand, (and this sucks...) I physically feel like I'm in my late 30's.  I have done alot of physical labor in my life, despite only being 19.  Not only have I had to help out at home alot (due to my mother having a physical disability that I'm not going to talk about, and also since my dad used to work night shifts [doesn't anymore, but now he goes on alot of job trips away from home])... but also I've worked outside for 5 summers, working for my city, doing things like shoveling asphalt patch out of a ton-truck onto the roads, digging holes for various reasons, helping pour new sidewalks, trimming/weedeating/mowing city property, cleaning up fallen limbs after storms, changing truck tires and oil (as well as tractors, too), and other laborious tasks.  It's all taken a toll on my back and neck, and I've had some problems.  I've gone to the chiropractor a few times out of total necessity (I don't do regular visits) when my back/neck was painfully out of place...  One time I had x-rays that showed how 2 or 3 vertabrae in my lower neck/upper back had just slightly rotated counterclockwise, whilst the ones above and below it were in normal position, and this caused me a sharp pain, basically not even allowing me to move my neck.  Luckily the chiropractor popped them back into place and I haven't had any serious problems since.  But my back and neck pops on its own all the time and it bugs the crap out of me.  And I mean, believe me, I get enough calcium - I probably go through 2 gallons of milk a week when I'm at home.  So, idk... it just sucks.  But yeah... mentally I'm still a kid.  Don't you just love these life contradictions?

• Brohoof 4

I sure feel sorry for any of you youngsters thinking anypony below 50 is old.  :lol:

You're not old until you are dead, or at least 65 anyway.  :P

• Brohoof 4

Rather amusing question to see posed on a forum with a large portion of its members still in their mid teens.

I can't add much more that hasn't already been stated by Jeric and The JLmle. As of writing this, I'm 25 years-old. I will be 26 in less than a month. Past the quarter-century mark. The next milestone is 50, which is twice my current age. Getting there will no doubt be much like my journey to 25: getting here felt like it took a long time, but in retrospect it was here in a flash. :lol:

How old we feel has little to do with our age, I think. It's often said that wisdom comes with age, but it doesn't. Wisdom comes with experience. But because longevity provides more opportunities to experience new things and figure stuff out, they often coincide, and people therefore get the two confused.

By the time I reached 19 I had already been through many tribulations and hardships. The aggregation of which left me feeling pretty old, to be honest. I was world-weary before I hit 20. Over the past several years I've overcome a lot of things that were really dragging me down emotionally, and learned to be a lot more social than I was growing up due to a number of circumstances I had to endure. Nowadays, at the age of 25, I feel younger than I did when I was 18. This is a feeling I want to hold on to and I know how to do it. No matter how long I live, I'm going to continue doing what makes me feel good. I see so many people, such as my parents, holding themselves back because of their age and stating that they're too old for something they want to do. Not me. Whenever I see an opportunity to do something that interests me, I'm going for it. I refuse to fetter myself.

I often joke though about feeling old due to the fact so many of my friends here aren't even out of school yet, and I'm now more than 8 years done with that. All in good fun. ^^

• Brohoof 6