Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else both a furry and a brony?

Inkscape

Ehh... a brony is basically a furry, like it or not. I know a lot of furry artists are perfectly okay with MLP. We try to not see ourselves as furries because of the even worse connotations around them, but we pretty much are.

I'm a major Furry/Brony. I've been in the furry fandom longer than the pony fandom but I love both very much. I admit being one of the pony haters at one point but that was when gens 1-3 existed. But I got assimilated when gen 4 came around. I foolishly resisted at first but gave in when I saw how awesome Gen 4 was.

Really? I thought the defining characteristic was dressing as an anthropomorphic animals, so basically a anthropomorphic cosplayer. Or is the definition really that broad?

What you're thinking of is fursuiters. Fursuiters ARE flurries, but not all furries are fursuiters.

• Brohoof 4

Really? I thought the defining characteristic was dressing as an anthropomorphic animals, so basically a anthropomorphic cosplayer. Or is the definition really that broad?

Not every furry cosplays, or even goes to conventions. The definition of "furry" is up for debate even among the members themselves.

• Brohoof 2

Ehh... a brony is basically a furry, like it or not. I know a lot of furry artists are perfectly okay with MLP. We try to not see ourselves as furries because of the even worse connotations around them, but we pretty much are.

Aren't Furries fans of anthropomorphic animals though? I know that the ponies on My Little Pony don't look exactly like ponies, but they still retain much of their animal characteristics and certainly aren't "anthros".

• Brohoof 2

I've been a furry on and off for a bit

and I like mlp.  So i do both and why not?

Both have a very creative fanbase to em both

with good souls to meet and talk too and learn

from if you have a open mind!

• Brohoof 1

Aren't Furries fans of anthropomorphic animals though? I know that the ponies on My Little Pony don't look exactly like ponies, but they still retain much of their animal characteristics and certainly aren't "anthros".

Antrhro technically doesn't have to be a physical thing. Anthro just means (roughly) human like. So because the ponies have human like emotions and morals they can be considered anthro in a way.

I swear I've explained this to you before...

Antrhro technically doesn't have to be a physical thing. Anthro just means (roughly) human like. So because the ponies have human like emotions and morals they can be considered anthro in a way.

Not only this, but furries aren't just anthro fans, Pokémon constitutes towards furry as well as anything else animalistic.

• Brohoof 1

You did, but I don't see how making an animal suddenly talking makes them anthro. Does that mean that the dogs from "Lady and The Tramp" are anthro dogs?

Not only this, but furries aren't just anthro fans, Pokémon constitutes towards furry as well as anything else animalistic.

If we define it like this, that's fine. But I just don't identify as a furry at all. No offense, but it's up there with Anime in things I just don't like at all. I do call myself a Brony and if others want to call me a furry I don't care, but I don't call myself one.

Well yeah Pokémon are "animals" yet they can make moral and thought out decisions. Also fun fact in universe marrying/being in a relationship with Pokémon, rare as it, actually exists and isn't frowned upon... So yes I can marry my Florges and be completely in the clear. 

i am.  i think technically if you like mlp, you're a furry. 

anthro is giving human characteristics to animals or objects.  since the ponies can talk and sit, and sleep in beds, and pretty much everything they do is humanlike, they're anthro.  

i wouldn't consider pokemon anthro.  they're not animals, and they are very rarely humanlike, apart from the humanoids.

• Brohoof 2

You did, but I don't see how making an animal suddenly talking makes them anthro. Does that mean that the dogs from "Lady and The Tramp" are anthro dogs?

To tell the truth I would say yes. Everything goes through the Harkness test for me and if it also is an animal I slide it under the furry grouping.

To tell the truth I would say yes. Everything goes through the Harkness test for me and if it also is an animal I slide it under the furry grouping.

Yeah but the Harnkess Test makes a distinction that the creature can be non-human. This line of thinking also implies that humans are the only intelligent creatures in the Universe and that morals and communication are a solely human trait. I don't want to start a religious argument, but if aliens one day visited and could reason and communicate, would they be anthro creatures even if they look nothing like humans?

I dunno. I just don't associate Bronies with Furries in my mind. If others do, that's fine. Just not me.

i wouldn't consider pokemon anthro.  they're not animals, and they are very rarely humanlike, apart from the humanoids.

You're forgetting that even the most non human ones still will act human. Like even a, oh say Klink, even though it looks nothing like a human it still would make decisions that reflect a state of higher intelligence than just mindless animals. It feels compassion, it cares for others rather than just its own survival.

Assigning human characteristics is essential to have a character be relatable to a human audience even if your watching live footage of a dog it is human nature to interpret it's behaviour as human emotion even if we have no prior knowledge of the animal. By your definition Antro covers all media to have non-human entities.

I don't want to start a religious argument, but if aliens one day visited and could reason and communicate, would they be anthro creatures even if they look nothing like humans?

Maybe to humans they'd be anthro but to them we'd be whatever equivalent they have. I mean we say anthro just because humans are the most intellectual species on the planet. If there were other speciesof equal or greater intelligence then we would maje a new word.

Maybe to humans they'd be anthro but to them we'd be whatever equivalent they have. I mean we say anthro just because humans are the most intellectual species on the planet. If there were other speciesof equal or greater intelligence then we would maje a new word.

I can follow that logic, but I also see what Rapunzel is saying. If there is a robot character with human emotions and reasoning, is that now an anthro character?

Oh hey, I didn't mean to turn this into a debate. It was just a question to find like minds.  :yay:

Heh. It happens. Sorry, though, I'm not a like mind but it's clear there are others so it's all good.

• Brohoof 2

Oh hey, I didn't mean to turn this into a debate. It was just a question to find like minds.  :yay:

Sorry...

I am a like minded individual for I am a furry extraordinare!

I would say that I'm a furry. Took me bit to realize it. My crush on Renamon should've tipped me off...

My first furry crush was Maid Marian from Fox Robinhood

970471_1331230145332_full.jpg

I swear though everyone's first furry crushes were Renamonm or Krystal from Starfox.

Edited by Ami Mizuno
  • Brohoof 3

You're forgetting that even the most non human ones still will act human. Like even a, oh say Klink, even though it looks nothing like a human it still would make decisions that reflect a state of higher intelligence than just mindless animals. It feels compassion, it cares for others rather than just its own survival.

animals aren't mindless.  making decisions is something all living things do.  animals have compassion and care for others.  :/ do you not have pets?

We say anthro because anthropo is greek for human.  it has nothing to do with intelligence. 

• Brohoof 2