Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did pegasi and unicorns evolve from horses?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

NOTE: THE PEGASI AND UNICORNS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOT RELATED TO THOSE IN EQUESTRIA, BUT IN EARTH MYTHOLOGY.

The-Winged-Horse.jpg

DomenichinounicornPalFarnese.jpg

If such creatures did exist, then can you explain how did they evolve from actual horses? What kinds of circumstances/adaptions/mutations could cause things like this?

Well, drawing from the standard design of evolution, I would suggest that horses, pegasus, and unicorns all derived from a common ancestor - as opposed to pegasus and unicorns being evolutionary branches of the modern horse. Following this theory, it's easy to suggest an environmental change resulted in the specific developments.

I'd like to quickly point out that Pegasus is a single creature, and that they're not a breeding species. I also acknowledge that the point of the thread is to ask 'what if'; so refer to the prior paragraph. :P

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 1

Well, drawing from the standard design of evolution, I would suggest that horses, pegasus, and unicorns all derived from a common ancestor - as opposed to pegasus and unicorns being evolutionary branches of the modern horse. Following this theory, it's easy to suggest an environmental change resulted in the specific developments.

I'd like to quickly point out that Pegasus is a single creature, and that they're not a breeding species. I also acknowledge that the point of the thread is to ask 'what if'; so refer to the prior paragraph. :P

What kind of environmental changes? Can you please elaborate to me?

Well, I suppose that a Pegasus could become so in a place of mountain ranges, or where traversing by foot(hoof) is particularly difficult, favouring flight.
A unicorn may have developed it's horn as a weapon in order to defend against predators(bears, wolves, etc. that would live in a wooded habitat).

Adaptation?

Like how did we evolve from apes? :wacko:

{obligatory "We didn't 'evolve from apes'. We simply shared a common ancestor with the modern primate" post}. :P

Edited by Unikitty

I'd say an alicorn would be a fair common ancestor =3 Pegasi would live in the sky and all, so their horns would be less important. Unicorns would evolve from the alicorns that relied more on horns than wings.

I'd say an alicorn would be a fair common ancestor =3 Pegasi would live in the sky and all, so their horns would be less important. Unicorns would evolve from the alicorns that relied more on horns than wings.

I second this; When you think about all the different types of, let's say ants for now, they must have had one common ancestor. Now that ancestor may or may not have had characteristics that the original had, but they had to derive from something or other; The alicorns make for a good catalyst in this case

Unicorns have been documented by naturalists since the 1600's.  I don't think they're evolved from horses, they'd be a separate species altogether, since horses don't grow horns or antlers.

Pegasi are from Greek mythology, they're not meant to be real earthbound creatures, and were created by gods.

Several millenia ago, a herd of horses was roaming the plains of Western Europe. One day the herd happened upon a great slab of the purest black, precisely four and a half meters tall, two meters wide, and half a meter thick. The slab hummed with power, and each of the horses was compelled, one by one, to approach it. Each horse took a turn gazing into the perfect black of the monolith and, upon completing said task, would receive a small jolt and experience a peculiar sensation originating from either their forehead or along their spine. When the final horse had completed its gaze, the slab faded into nothingness and the horse turned around to see 22 pegasi and 35 unicorns. Descendants of this original herd survived until the late Renaissance period, at which point the had been hunted to death for either sport or for their blood and horns, which were said to have special alchemical properties.

True story.

Edited by Chrysler
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, 'Alicorn' is the substance that unicorn horns are made of. Only in MLP FIM is the term 'alicorn' used to refere to winged-Unicorns.

The only way I figure a pegasus type animal could be evolutionarily possible, would be a genetic anomaly that grants an extra pair of functional limbs next to the front legs. Over time they'd have to evolve into wings from there, but I can't see feathery bird wings being a possibility. Avian feathers are a form of scale if I remember correctly, so I don't think a mammal like the horse would be able to ever gain them without so much time passing that our pegasus looks little like modern horses. Something reminiscent of bat wings might be doable, though!

As for the unicorn, I'd say it'd have to start with a form of antler that developed for use as a singular pointed weapon.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure that there is some kind of explanation for this somewhere in Earth Mythology.

Edited by Royal Samurott

Horses went to the planet of the Saiyans and discovered Ki, allowing some to fly and allowing others to use magic. Wings are just for stability and speed, because an actual horse would need at least a twenty-foot wingspan to get its weight off the ground. Magic/Ki is involved. Furthermore, a Saiyan's hair never changes, and their hairstyles are genetic, just like thw MLPFIM ponies.

The following post is not made from considering mythology in the slightest lol.

Horse runs alot, some horses wish to fly like birds, horses develop wings through evolution from trying to fly from sprinting starts, and their sprinting makes developing flying easier. Erm, galloping. 

And unicorns, assuming they are non magical, how deer evolved horns. But assuming they are magical, um, some sort of deity probably blessed it with magic or something after becoming its friend or the horse saving its life.

Edited by MostBrainWhyYes