Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where Did AppleJack & Applebloom Get Their Southern Accents?

Denim&Venöm

As far as humans go, accents develop around early teenage years and is done though the people you interact w/ on a day to day basis, namely friends, peer groups and associates.

Moving to Manehatten was the only time AJ was residing out of Ponyville and that didn't last very long, so it's safe to assume that she has lived in Ponyville this whole time. We have no indications that Applebloom ever left Ponyville. So the two youngest apples have been in Ponyville for most of their lives. From what we can tell, the Apple family are the only ponies in Ponyville that speak w/ southern dialects. It is rather uncommon for kids to get accents from family members, even more so w/ no parents involved. Which begs the question, in a community that speaks w/ typical American-English accents, how did Bloom & AJ get their southern accents?

Maybe Apple Acres is actually part of a bigger country-style community?

Seriously speaking for a moment, I actually live in a small town in Texas, and we are very similar to Ponyville. There are people who speak with southern accents, and there are people who speak with no accent at all. At most, it can be 50/50, though usually you'll find more people with no accent. I imagine it's pretty much the same way with many places in the south, so why not let Applejack and her family speak southern?

• Brohoof 5

What I want to know is where the heck Rarity got her British accent from.  Neither of her parents talk like that, and Sweetie Bell doesn't either.  Seems to me Applebloom, Applejack, and Big Mac have an excuse, since Granny Smith has a Southern lilt, and likely taught whichever one of Applejacks parents was her kid to talk the same way.  Rarity, though... that's very odd.

What I want to know is where the heck Rarity got her British accent from.  Neither of her parents talk like that, and Sweetie Bell doesn't either.  Seems to me Applebloom, Applejack, and Big Mac have an excuse, since Granny Smith has a Southern lilt, and likely taught whichever one of Applejacks parents was her kid to talk the same way.  Rarity, though... that's very odd.

Technically, it's a Mid-Atlantic accent, which has to be cultivated. Rarity works hard at it because she wishes to be more cultured and lady-like. It's another example of how hard she works to get where she wants to be.

Rarity just wants to speak fancy-like. Her accent is a LIE!! :angry:

Is the product of one's hard work to be deemed a "lie"? Is ability on the sportsfield a lie, just because athletes work at it?

Oh, and inb4 Ghostie. :D

• Brohoof 3

Rarity just wants to speak fancy-like. Her accent is a LIE!! :angry:

They say that if you immitate something long enough, you start doing it naturally without thinking. If this is true, I don't think Rarity could stop using her fancy accent even if she wanted to! :wau:

• Brohoof 1

Rarity's accent isn't British, it's Mid-Atlantic, sometimes called Transatlantic. It's a combination of affluent Americans deliberately taking on what they viewed as 'upper class' speech patterns., and expatriate British attempting to sound American. Anyone who went to a boarding school or ivy league university in America in the 50's-60's ended up talking like that.

Very likely Rarity was sent to a 'finishing school' in Canterlot, where she was trained in proper behavior, including being indoctrinated into the accent.

• Brohoof 3

What I want to know is where the heck Rarity got her British accent from. 

Rarity doesn't have a British accent? O_o

I'm British / English, and her accent sounds like a US accent! Maybe British mixed with a US accent?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe Apple Acres is actually part of a bigger country-style community?

Seriously speaking for a moment, I actually live in a small town in Texas, and we are very similar to Ponyville. There are people who speak with southern accents, and there are people who speak with no accent at all. At most, it can be 50/50, though usually you'll find more people with no accent. I imagine it's pretty much the same way with many places in the south, so why not let Applejack and her family speak southern?

Yeah, I used to wonder about Applejack's accent too until I moved to Texas. It's amazing how you have standard Western American accents right next to thick Southern ones. Sounds plausible to me.

Applejack & Applebloom got their Southern accents from the stereotype that all farmers have southern accents.

then most Earth ponies should have Southern accents, since most Earth ponies tend to be farmers of some sort; given their passive magic and stronger ability to tend and manipulate the earth, unlike Pegasus and Unicorn ponies.

As far as humans go, accents develop around early teenage years and is done though the people you interact w/ on a day to day basis, namely friends, peer groups and associates.

Moving to Manehatten was the only time AJ was residing out of Ponyville and that didn't last very long, so it's safe to assume that she has lived in Ponyville this whole time. We have no indications that Applebloom ever left Ponyville. So the two youngest apples have been in Ponyville for most of their lives. From what we can tell, the Apple family are the only ponies in Ponyville that speak w/ southern dialects. It is rather uncommon for kids to get accents from family members, even more so w/ no parents involved. Which begs the question, in a community that speaks w/ typical American-English accents, how did Bloom & AJ get their southern accents?

Actually, contrary to popular belief, people can get accents from family members. The show hints that when AJ was smaller, she mostly stayed at home and probably go to school, since when rarity had her play at ponyville, applejack wasn't there. Rarity got an Canterlot accent without being there and twilight didn't. Twilight family members apparently didn't have an accent but raritys parents did have an wodd sort of accent. Or not... Anyways, pony accents probably work differently then human accents and the show doesn't touch that matter qnyways. So we cant say much about it.

then most Earth ponies should have Southern accents, since most Earth ponies tend to be farmers of some sort; given their passive magic and stronger ability to tend and manipulate the earth, unlike Pegasus and Unicorn ponies.

Actually, most of the Erth Poneez would have Western accents, seeing as they live in the middle of the desert. Tho, in Somepony to Watch Over Me, they were living in an obscure redneck village, so they'd have Pennsyltucky accents.

Rarity's accent is not British. It is Trans Atlantic, and it is fake. She fakes her accent to make her appear more high class. Listen to Generosity reprise. That shows her actual accent. Also, there are multiple points where she drops her accent. 

As for why Applejack and Apple Bloom have southern accents, accents may stay in the family, especially if the family is close like the Apple Family is. 

• Brohoof 1

Rarity doesn't have a British accent? O_o

I'm British / English, and her accent sounds like a US accent! Maybe British mixed with a US accent?

No. No it doesn't. I don't know a lot of people in AMERICA that have a British accent mixed in with their US accent. But then again, I've never heard a US accent. Probably cause I live in America.

From the town of Clichéville? I think we can put Rarity in that boat too. I've never thought too hard about this sort of thing, because I just figured the writers were more concerned with establishing an appropriate accent for particular character archetypes than establishing where and when they might have got them. Rarity's accent is more believable though. Even if she lived in Ponyville all her life, she is a huge fan of Canterlot and Manehatten, and similar high class places, as well as their culture. She must have at least traveled to such places on occasion in the past, and maybe practiced her accent. As for the Apple family...I've got nothing. On a side note, where in the mid-Atlantic region is Rarity's accent from? I love her accent. I suppose it doesn't matter, since the likelihood of me traveling so far to inadvertently bump into Ms. Right is slim to none, but I am curious nonetheless.

No. No it doesn't. I don't know a lot of people in AMERICA that have a British accent mixed in with their US accent. But then again, I've never heard a US accent. Probably cause I live in America.

......Wat?

You hear "US" accents all the time because you live in the US! The United States of America, right? Um.

Anyhow, Rarity has a Transatlantic accent.

Mid-Atlantic English (less ambiguously known as a Transatlantic accent) is a cultivated or acquired version of the English languageonce found in certain aristocratic elements of American society and taught for use in the American theatre. It is not a vernacular typical of any location, but rather blends American and British without being predominantly either. 
  • Brohoof 2