Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do Ponies get leather?

Carbon Maestro

It's kinda weird. When you realize that ponies wear leather and leather comes from animals, you can't help but wonder - ponies harvest other species?

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, BRAEBURN.

Braeburn_ID_S1E21.png

I can understand if ponies get cotton and silk for clothing materials, but the fact that they use leather so often makes me wonder whether it's actually real.

Wow, if so, then oh boy this isn't a kids show anymore.

• Brohoof 5

Hm.. I.. I have no idea. I don't think they hunt animals or anything, so I really have no clue.

The only thing I can think of is if it's made in a factory or some kind of place where they make clothes.

And plus in a land of magic, it's certainly reasonable to assume such things can be artificially created.

• Brohoof 1

This is actually... a really good question :o

I wouldn't go as far to say that it's made from actual live cattle, but I would say that it's imitation leather.

Then again, in order to produce imitation leather, one must know what ACTUAL leather is, first.

I'm not really sure how to answer this!

• Brohoof 1

Nowhere in the series is there any suggestion that Equestria is a death-free, animal-killing free-society/civilization. Yes, the ponies' diets "are completely vegetarian" as Pinkie Pie's song goes, but they can still hunt and farm living animals for other resources.

• Brohoof 2

Rarity Takes Manehattan shows that some unicorns may have the ability to magically imbue or create fabrics. Hows that for a get out of jail free card? You may now call Braeburn's clothes animal free leather. 

:D

• Brohoof 7

Maybe its not leather. I mean it could be a material that looks like leather.

It's 100% Canadian designed and Korean assembled Adobe imitation leather. Very Flashy

• Brohoof 3

How do you know what kind of leather it is?

It was a joke since the show is animated using Adobe Flash Professional. Designed at the Canadian Studio and animated in Korea. And Adobe sounds like a type of leather when you say it like, "Adobe Leather"

• Brohoof 1

It was a joke since the show is animated using Adobe Flash Professional. Designed at the Canadian Studio and animated in Korea. And Adobe sounds like a type of leather when you say it like, "Adobe Leather"

Oh I didn't know that it was a joke. I don't know anything about leather and I didn't know Korea helps out with MLP.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, we really don't know if they hunt or not, but part of me wants to say no. I really haven't seen any indication that ponies are hunters. 

I'm just going to assume it's pleather. They seem technologically advanced enough that they can make synthetic materials.

I would tend to agree. Some sort of artificial or imitation leather would make the most sense to me within the confines of the show.

I don't know why you would assume it's leather.

It's probably pleather, or just brown fabric.  I doubt a herbivorous species such as ponies murder other mammals and harvest and wear their skin.

• Brohoof 1

Why ELSE do you think they farm Cows, chickens, pigs and other animals? Oh and I am pretty sure I have seen them eat meat before... hold on a sec.... aha

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111130183814/mlp/images/2/2e/Applejack_doesn't_know_what_to_eat_first_2_S01E22.png

What is Applejack about to nom right there?

picture does not exist

They don't eat meat.  they're ponies.  and they've said they're vegetarian in the show.

I have no idea why they farm animals, since the animals can talk, but there's cow that live in the town that live just as the ponies do.

There's some type of species-ism going on there, but they're not murderers. 

picture does not exist

They don't eat meat. they're ponies. and they've said they're vegetarian in the show.

I have no idea why they farm animals, since the animals can talk, but there's cow that live in the town that live just as the ponies do.

There's some type of species-ism going on there, but they're not murderers.

fudge link didnt work. The scene is real though.... just forget which episode...

I will find the scene that comes from in a moment

applejackhamsandwich.jpg

Maybe that one will work

Maybe they harvest from the dead bodies of other animals.  Like in the morgue they strip the bodies before they bury them.  Or maybe the leather is very old stuff, and it's left over from an ancient war between the cows and the ponies, and things got so savage they would wear the skin of their enemies to....

Short answer: who knows?

Hang on, though.  There is the question of why the heck they keep pigs.  I mean, what are they good for besides meat?  They don't have wool or milk as far as I know.  I think something pretty fishy is going on here.

• Brohoof 1

I've never though about it, but here's some possibilities (sorry for any repeats):

1. They recycle the body parts (in this case, skin) of those that have passed on.
  2. It's cotton.
  3. It's polyester.
  4. There's a rival species that we don't see because it would scar the children.
  5. c0344d40b7.jpeg
  6. It's leaves that have been treated amazingly well.
  7. Just like us, they have no problem killing cows, especially since they're delicious.