Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do Ponies get leather?

Carbon Maestro

TofurkySlices.jpg

Probably fake meat.

idk what it is.

but it's applejack, and i wouldn't be surprised if it was a giant square slice of apple

mlp_objection__by_afancorp-d52puco.png

One that looks nothing like an apple, two if they do not eat meat or even consider eating it then why would they need Fake meat.

Also in Equestria Girls which is canon Human Twi has no problem eating meat even though she is mentally a pony.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/16/2014 at 4:12 PM, Buck Testa said:

mlp_objection__by_afancorp-d52puco.png

One that looks nothing like an apple, two if they do not eat meat or even consider eating it then why would they need Fake meat.

Also in Equestria Girls which is canon Human Twi has no problem eating meat even though she is mentally a pony.

looks a lot like THIS apple

they wouldn't call it fake meat.  it's just a slice of tofu(or whatever base) with seasoning.  

Human Twilight isn't biologically an herbivore.  

Edited by PathfinderCS
Photo removed by request of copyright holder

On 8/16/2014 at 4:16 PM, ScumCandy said:

looks a lot like THIS apple

they wouldn't call it fake meat. it's just a slice of tofu(or whatever base) with seasoning.

Human Twilight isn't biologically an herbivore.

Human Vegetarians and vegans are not biologically herbavores either yet they avoid meat like death (real ones do anyway). Twi ripped into it like she was a meat eater from way back. Would not herbavore pony twilight sparkle have moral issue with eating meat unless it was already present in Equestria? Granted no where near as wide spread but still present.

What other reason would there be to farm pigs if not for ham and bacon?

Edited by PathfinderCS
Photo removed by request of copyright holder
  • Brohoof 1

Human Vegetarians and vegans are not biologically herbavores either yet they avoid meat like death (real ones do anyway). Twi ripped into it like she was a meat eater from way back. Would not herbavore pony twilight sparkle have moral issue with eating meat unless it was already present in Equestria? Granted no where near as wide spread but still present.

What other reason would there be to farm pigs if not for ham and bacon?

Twilight was trying to fit in as a human, so she's just eating what they're eating.  She's probably never even seen prepared meat products and wouldn't know what it was anyways.

And idk what part you're talking about.  When she's with Fluttershy in the cafeteria?  She doesn't even touch the burger.  and since Fluttershy got one, it's most likely a veggie burger.

The pigs are probably just pets.  They do not eat meat.  Maybe they use them for manure, or to eat the apple cores or something.

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps it looks like leather... but it's NOT. 

Question answered.

(For all we know that could just be thick cloth)

It's recycled vinyl from the bench seat of a 1979 Chevrolet LUV pickup truck. One with the Mikado trim package, of course. Only the best for Braeburn...

Just like fake leather exists in real life, one would have to assume that fake leather also exists in equestria, well that or magically made "leather". ^_^

It's a magical land full of talking ponies and other alien flora and fauna. 

As far as we know they could have some native plant that can be processed into a leather like material. 

This is a thought that occurred to me while I was brainstorming a fan fiction. Considering that the method of acquiring leather would be too gruesome since cows are apparently sapient beings in My Little Pony. I had to substitute leather armor with tough fabric.

First of all, even if Ponies are herbivores, it isn't unheard of for herbivorous creatures to munch on a small living critter for the protein, etc., so it isn't that huge of a stretch for them to occasionally enjoy a steak or a few strips of bacon. That being said, if they have these farm creatures around, and if farm creatures (like all living things) have a habit of dying, then the availability of leather and meat in Pony society works, though I don't imagine it would be anywhere near as predominant as it is in human societies.

• Brohoof 1

My Headcanon explanation:

Maybe they just use skin from other animal's that die naturally?  ;D  We may see it as gross but it's not their own species and it's not wasteful.

• Brohoof 2

My Headcanon explanation:

Maybe they just use skin from other animal's that die naturally?  ;D  We may see it as gross but it's not their own species and it's not wasteful.

Yeah you and a few other posters said what was going to say when I saw this topic: they might use the skin from those who have passed on. Or maybe they even take the skin from farm animals that pass, like cows. Maybe they have an agreement with the cows that they can live on their farms and provide milk and then when they pass on, they can use their skin to make clothing and other leather materials.

Kind of dark, but I would be comfortable with the imitation leather explanation as well.

Yeah you and a few other posters said what was going to say when I saw this topic: they might use the skin from those who have passed on. Or maybe they even take the skin from farm animals that pass, like cows. Maybe they have an agreement with the cows that they can live on their farms and provide milk and then when they pass on, they can use their skin to make clothing and other leather materials.

Kind of dark, but I would be comfortable with the imitation leather explanation as well.

It's not that dark if the animals are willing to "donate" their skin after they die.

Edited by John

It's not that dark if the animals are willing to "donate" their skin after they die.

Well I did say kinda dark, now didn't I?

But yeah, that's what I meant. They have agreements that they can reuse skin after the animals pass. Or maybe the ponies even use eachother's skin, and you have to sign some paperwork that says whether or not you're a skin donor when you pass, kind of like organ donors.

Well I did say kinda dark, now didn't I?

But yeah, that's what I meant. They have agreements that they can reuse skin after the animals pass. Or maybe the ponies even use eachother's skin, and you have to sign some paperwork that says whether or not you're a skin donor when you pass, kind of like organ donors.

Where I'm from, "kind of dark" is just a nicer way to say "dark" but still carries with it the same meaning. :P

I think that the ponies prioritize the needs of their species over the needs of other species.  Sort of like a soft-core eugenics ploy.  From what we see, they rule a vast majority of the land and use a good portion of it's resources.  I don't want to say that they completely devalue cows/pigs/ect but I just have this nagging feeling that they look down upon them and take advantage of them (in the least threatening way possible).

Edited by John

Where I'm from, "kind of dark" is just a nicer way to say "dark" but still carries with it the same meaning. :P

I think that the ponies prioritize the needs of their species over the needs of other species.  Sort of like a soft-core eugenics ploy.  From what we see, they rule a vast majority of the land and use a good portion of it's resources.  I don't want to say that they completely devalue cows/pigs/ect but I just have this nagging feeling that they look down upon them and take advantage of them.

I see what you mean, but I was using the other way. Or at least, I was attempting to.

No doubt, but I'm sure all sentient species end up doing that, even if they won't admit it. The ponies likely don't want to live without cows, pigs, and other hooved animals, since they provide resources for them, but it's evident that cows and pigs are on a much lower social ladder than ponies since they are forced to live on farms. Goats might just be on a lower class too, though we've only seen them with Iron Will and they apparently couldn't speak. Either way, I could buy the ponies getting leather from cows who pass. I imagine that's just part of the deal of getting to live on a farm rent free, like I said before.

The advantages of being a farm pony... you get to milk the cows while they're alive, and then take their skin when they aren't. So is the circle of life in Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

I see what you mean, but I was using the other way. Or at least, I was attempting to.

No doubt, but I'm sure all sentient species end up doing that, even if they won't admit it. The ponies likely don't want to live without cows, pigs, and other hooved animals, since they provide resources for them, but it's evident that cows and pigs are on a much lower social ladder than ponies since they are forced to live on farms. Goats might just be on a lower class too, though we've only seen them with Iron Will and they apparently couldn't speak. Either way, I could buy the ponies getting leather from cows who pass. I imagine that's just part of the deal of getting to live on a farm rent free, like I said before.

The advantages of being a farm pony... you get to milk the cows while they're alive, and then take their skin when they aren't. So is the circle of life in Equestria.

I don't mean this as a racist remark in any way, but...

Something about the "free living on a farm" for work and benefits reminds me a bit of the enslavement and forced labor of Africans in the US during the mid 1800's.

I don't mean this as a racist remark in any way, but...

Something about the "free living on a farm" for work and benefits reminds me a bit of the enslavement and forced labor of Africans in the US during the mid 1800's.

Hey, it's History, my friend. And I think we can all agree that History ain't always pretty, that's for sure...

It is similar in a way. There was also sharecropping after the slaves were freed, which might actually be closer to what the cows and pigs are going through. They might be free to leave the farm, but they might not be able to properly support themselves or survive in Equestria without the aid of ponies, so maybe they're stuck in a situation where they are just better off in the farms than by themselves.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe it's some sort of fake leather made from plastic or something??  :blink:

Where did they get the idea to where something like that though, from cannibalism?...  :wau:

Edited by Dawnbreaker

tumblr_modktorBMz1rthxy9o1_500.gif

...People look way too much into stuff like this. 

I don't think even the actual creators have fleshed out this show as much as some fans are looking into it. 

Edited by babymoondust
  • Brohoof 1

Well,

Hey, it's History, my friend. And I think we can all agree that History ain't always pretty, that's for sure...

It is similar in a way. There was also sharecropping after the slaves were freed, which might actually be closer to what the cows and pigs are going through. They might be free to leave the farm, but they might not be able to properly support themselves or survive in Equestria without the aid of ponies, so maybe they're stuck in a situation where they are just better off in the farms than by themselves.

Yes, that is what I wanted to say but I couldn't find a way to put it so fluidly ^

I might also add that there seem to be 4+ "Layers" of "Species/Race/Ethnicity" Ect.  Within the FIM universe.

Layer 1: Sentient Animal / Nonsentient Animal     (Nonsentient Animals Not as valued) [sPECIES]

Expand Sentient Animal:  Equine/Cow/Pig/Buffalo/Ect     (Racism probably due to a class/social/intelligence barrier) [RACE]

Expand Equine:  Pony/Zebra/Donkey/Mule/Ect     (Some noticeable Racism, although still functional in society) [sUBRACE]

Expand Pony:  Earth Pony/ Pegasus/ Unicorn/ Alicorn      (Well Balenced, no noticeable racism, and all races comfortable with playing their part)  [ETHNICITY]

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, that is what I wanted to say but I couldn't find a way to put it so fluidly ^

I might also add that there seem to be 4+ "Layers" of "Species/Race/Ethnicity" Ect.  Within the FIM universe.

Layer 1: Sentient Animal / Nonsentient Animal     (Nonsentient Animals Not as valued) [sPECIES]

Expand Sentient Animal:  Equine/Cow/Pig/Buffalo/Ect     (Racism probably due to a class/social/intelligence barrier) [RACE]

Expand Equine:  Pony/Zebra/Donkey/Mule/Ect     (Some noticeable Racism, although still functional in society) [sUBRACE]

Expand Pony:  Earth Pony/ Pegasus/ Unicorn/ Alicorn      (Well Balenced, no noticeable racism, and all races comfortable with playing their part)  [ETHNICITY]

No problem. Sometimes we all need help putting something better.

I really like that breakdown right there, that is spot on to me. Did you come up with that or is this something that you discussed before with someone? Stuff like this interests me so I'm just curious.

I don't think even the actual creators have fleshed out this show as much as some fans are looking into it. 

That's what fans do! A lot of folks say Bronies go too far, but I've been in a couple different fandoms pretty deeply and this is just a common thing to have deep discussions about whatever you're interested in, whether it's Star Wars or My Little Pony. It's fun to me and makes for some interesting conversation.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 2

Well,

1. What about rocks?!?  Really, this is organismism!  Maud is disappointed.

2.  I think that layer 2 is more like primates to humans than race.

3. there is a floating level of level 3/4.  When introduced to Zecora, PVille was cool with her.  No racism apparent afterwards.

4. Mules, while having a standard of being stubborn, may actually be genetically pre-disposed to that.  [i kinda get grossed out by mules in the FIM world because two sentients decide to essentially make a high functioning downs kid.]

• Brohoof 2