Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Doesn't the unicorns seem to have all the advantage?

Stuffy Hooves

I'm going to talk about pegasi.

-Pegasi do have more possession over the weather than unicorns. Look at "Hurricane Fluttershy". The pegasi, a lot of pegasi, go and create a tornado that takes the water to Cloudsdale. I have yet to see a unicorn use magic to create tornado of that size. You are right about the weather control patterns. They can be controlled by magic, as shown in "Magical Mystery Cure".

I do see where you come from though! 

In theory yes but in practice this isn't actually the case. Most unicorns can only perform a few basic spells like levitation and maybe a spell or two related to their special talent. Unicorns have the most potential of the three main pony races but they are also the race where it is the most difficult to unlock said potential. There are very few unicorns who are able to get anywhere near as powerful as the likes of Twilight, even Rarity is above average and she is nowhere near that level.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

Type 3: Normally called wizards - can manipulate multiple things at once at perform more powerful spells

most are type 1-2 quite a few type 3s (rarity level) and very few type 4s

I like that fanfiction already!  :D 

Actually that is how I see the canon as well -- including Rarity being a bit more versatile and skilled than the generic Unicorms. Even within each race there are those that excel over all others.

Example Pegasi have Rainbow Dash <-> Scootaloo / Fluttershy

Don't have any weak Earth Ponies in mind ... but Maude and AJ may qualify for the top two tiers. 

@Hazukashii Flux,

Given it took both Celestia and Luna to beat Sombra directly, I'd rank him higher.

Going by The Journal of the Two Sisters, he would have had to overthrow the Crystal Empire's previous ruler, who was Cadence's ancestor, Mi Amore. He's definitely stronger than a single Alicorn.

In theory yes but in practice this isn't actually the case. Most unicorns can only perform a few basic spells like levitation and maybe a spell or two related to their special talent. Unicorns have the most potential of the three main pony races but they are also the race where it is the most difficult to unlock said potential. There are very few unicorns who are able to get anywhere near as powerful as the likes of Twilight, even Rarity is above average and she is nowhere near that level.

True. Most unicorns talent is unrelated to magic, and they have better things to do with their time. Most unicorns base magic consists levitation, with magical blasts being next on the ladder(Rarity managed to fire one when she was angry), then teleportation(Which only Twilight+characters can do). Presumably, Celestia's top unicorns could do the job, but not nearly as well, and certainly not enough to survive. They made the three races very perfectly balanced, as far as survival is concerned.

Yes, most unicorns only know 2 or 3 spells, Twilight is an exception.

Pegasi can do sonic rainbooms, or at least flying very fast if they practice enough.

Earth Ponies have always been a bit underpowered though.

But Rainbow Dash is the only pegasus who has recently done a sonic rainboom.

But Rainbow Dash is the only pegasus who has recently done a sonic rainboom.

That's why I said "if they practice enough".

I'm pretty sure if other pegasi practice as hard as her, they can do sonic rainbooms too.

Rainbow Dash and Twilight are exceptions, Twilight must have been the only unicorn in Ponyville able to do that:

Ursa_sucking_on_the_bottle_S01E06.png

Just like RD with her sonic rainboom.

Edited by Blobulle