Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Silent Hill HD Collection tanks

Discordian

According to some reviews and the following video the Silent Hill HD Collection really screws up. Not everyone is graphics whores and cares about graphics but apparently this game has screwed up so much of the graphics, such as frequent framerate drops and even toning down the fog to the point things appear in front of you without actually appearing out of the fog, that Amazon has put the item under review and is almost refusing to sell it anymore.

This video explains quite a few of the problems and while most are graphical and could possibly be easy to get over there's one particular problem I saw that I don't like and that's the hiccups where your character stops running. I'm not 100% certain if this was the game itself or just the person playing but it looks like something the game will pull on you.

As it stands, I was gonna get the HD Collection but now I think I'm just gonna try to hunt down the PS2 versions so I don't have to have these hiccups. Plus there's no SH4 on the collection and that bummed me out from the beginning because I wanted to play them all.

Hearing about this really bummed me out, because after reading the Sileny Ponyville fanfictions, I really wanted to get into the series. The HD Collection, had it been well made, would have been the perfect jumping-on point for me.

But it seems I'll never get into the series without having to pick up PS2 copies now.

It's not graphical fidelity, but it's what the originals did with what they had to achieve the desired effect of scariness. The perpetual fog was a decision added because they couldn't render a lot, it was a hardware limitation overcome making the game scarier and atmospheric. Removing it was a bad call as it also reveals unfinished areas.

• Brohoof 1

Hearing about this really bummed me out, because after reading the Sileny Ponyville fanfictions, I really wanted to get into the series. The HD Collection, had it been well made, would have been the perfect jumping-on point for me.

But it seems I'll never get into the series without having to pick up PS2 copies now.

Silent Hill was PS1. Does PS2 play PS1 games? I should know this but I forgot. :P

Silent Hill was PS1. Does PS2 play PS1 games? I should know this but I forgot. :P

Sure does! Still trying to find a copy of Silent Hill that isn't some exorbitant price, though.

Final Fantasy IX plays pretty well on my PS2 though.

Sure does! Still trying to find a copy of Silent Hill that isn't some exorbitant price, though.

I have all my PS1 games - I never trade games in. They are my memories and I do not give away memories. Still have all my Atari 2600 games. :P
  • Brohoof 1

Final Fantasy IX plays pretty well on my PS2 though.

If you have a PS3 you can get SH1 off of PSN for 10 bucks.

So... cheap ports that were made without a whole lot of thought aren't doing well? My heart, t'is shattered~

• 8 years later...
22 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

I have made an effort to buy a PS1 so I can play Silent Hill the way it was intended! :awwthanks:

This version was only of the PS2 games, 2 and 3, and a PS1 is only going to allow you to play the first game. :laugh: 

I have this, have played and completed Silent Hill 2 on it with the new voices, and don't see what's so awful about it. Totally see why it disappointed veterans who grew up with the PS2 games though.