Jump to content
Banner by ~ Zero


Recommended Posts

This was made in my spare time, so expect it to be crappy.


So basically, short story short: I was playing Call Of Duty online and had a little, well, sissy fit and threw my laptop at the wall. This resulted in my laptop screen's digitizer broken and the hard drive broke. But this isn't the start of my problem – oh no. The laptop is the only PC I have in the house. I do have a phone, but its not one of those hi-techy ones, its just a basic QWERTY phone with a screen as tiny as a ladybird (well, not literally). Also it doesn't have internet, so I'm pretty much stuck. Luckily, my friend lets me use his net book when anything is wrong with my laptop. And with the current state of mine, I could really use it.


So the next day, I set off to my friends house and asked him if I could use the net book. He agreed and I immediately logged into eBay. Yes, I know; it isn't the safest site to bid on electronics, but I'm pretty skint at the moment and I'm not prepared to fork out £800 for a new one. So a second hand one should do me fine. I typed in “second hand laptops” and browsed through the pages. Most of them were either broken, misplaced spares for laptops or just stupid “we fix your laptop screen” ads. At last, I found one. I clicked on the link and it opened the details to the item. The title of the item was named “laptop”. No branding or specifications, just “laptop”.


“Obviously this person doesn't have a clue about technology.” I said to myself.


I looked at the pictures – or just the one, there weren't anymore. I looked at the bidders rating. It was 99.8%, so he was trustworthy. I scrolled down at the description and this is what it read: “this laptop belonged to another owner so I don't know what its got on but you could remove them or send it to a expert to get it checked on. Boots up fine and works great. Open to any bids.”


“Well, looks the real deal.” I said and placed £20 as my bid.


Surely after a while, I won the item. I paid through PayPal and the laptop was mine. Not long the person sent me a email stating that the laptop had been shipped and should arrive next week. After that, I checked some other emails.




The week after there was a knock at the door.


“Ah, must be the lappy (a slang for laptop).” I said and walked to the door.


I opened it to see a postman carrying a big box. I signed the papers grabbed the box and he left. I carried the box into the living room and placed it onto the table. The entire cover had been taped, so I had to cut it using scissors. I grabbed a pair and progressively cut open the box. The first thing in the box was bubble wrap covering the laptop. I removed it and it revealed the laptop and a charger. I picked up the laptop and inspected it. The edge had a little knock to it and some of the letter prints on the keys on the keyboard had faded, but were still readable. But what was most suspicious of all, was when I looked at the back of the screen, there was no branding.


“Heh, what?” I said puzzled.


I carefully looked at the back, thinking that the branding had worn off. But there were no signs of anything on the back.


“Maybe there is something on the bottom.” I said.


I closed the top and placed it on its back, revealing...nothing.


“This is strange.” I said to myself.


I emailed the owner and told him there was no branding on the laptop, so I couldn't identify which one it is. Later the person emailed me, but his reply didn't help me much: “it may be a hp or samsung I dunno.” So I was on my own.


With the branding problem out my mind, I held the power on button and started the laptop up. But it didn't turn on.


“Maybe some charge will get it active.” I said eyeing the charger.


I grabbed the charger and inserted the plug into the socket. I had the laptop connected in no time. I held the power on button again. This time I could hear the laptop's fan whirring and the hard drive beeping. Laptops or PCs from companies always have their company branding on the computer, so when it booted, maybe the company would show. But it didn't. It skipped straight to the Windows 7 boot screen. What was more odd was that the boot up sound was from the Windows Vista Beta one.


“Wait. Windows 7 doesn't have that boot sound.” I said suspiciously.


When it reached the log on screen, there was one account, named “your name here”. Obviously my name was meant to be here. I clicked on the account and it logged me right in. Everything was normal; Windows 7 background, icons, start bar and everything else. However, there were two programs installed: one was AVG and the other BitTorrent. I simply uninstalled the two programs via the Control Panel. While I was in there, I went into the account setting and renamed the account name to my name.


“Seems all good to me.” I said and went to browse the web.


I went through the favorites and found some favorites to porn sites. I removed them and continued to YouTube.


“Maybe a cat video, why not.” I smiled and typed “cat videos” into the search bar.


And in no time, I was watching a kitten climbing a man's leg. As I was watching however, the laptop turned off by itself.


“Huh? What?” I said puzzled.


I turned it on again and logged back into my account. As I was about to click on the IE icon, a message appeared on the screen. It read: “Nice little youngster, wasn't he?”


“Whu...?” Was all that could come out my mouth.


I closed the message and opened up IE. I was writing in “strange message on computer” on Google's search bar when another message appeared. It read: “Shame the owner killed it a month later. I cant blame him; he was feisty.”


“Oh f-ck off.” Was all I said as I closed the message.


I browsed the web for anyone else having the problem, but to no avail. Maybe just factory resetting the laptop would fix the problem. I found the system restore program and it started its work. While it was doing it, I went into the kitchen to make a sandwich. As I was cutting the bread in half, the laptop made a loud, distorted sound through the speakers. I jumped and accidentally sliced the top of my thumb off, blood soaking the bread, changing some of the bread to red.


“SH-TE!” I yelled as the pain flowed through my body.


I immediately grabbed some tissue and covered the cut.


“What was that?” I said concerned.


I walked over to the laptop and looked at the screen. Nothing was wrong; progression at 54%.


“Maybe a file opened by accident.” I said to myself.


I replaced the blood soaked bread with a fresh slice. I carried the sandwich to the table and consumed it.


“That was rather nice.” I smiled refreshed.


A quite beep came from the laptop. I walked over and saw the Windows 7 boot up screen, and the normal boot sound was there.


“Ah, good. Normal.” I smiled.


I went through the final procedures and I was using the laptop in no time. As I was browsing through Wikipedia, a message appeared again. It read: “LOL. Did you think that restoring the operating system would get rid of me? Ha! You'll have to try harder than that!”


“You must be sh-tting me...” I sighed closing it.


As soon as I closed the message, another popped up. It read: “Hey, just for the gallant effort, here is a reward. Be grateful now.” I clicked OK and it opened a folder in Explorer. There were two files: one was a video file, and the other, a text file. I opened the text file and it read this: “You'll enjoy it, I guarantee.” I closed it and opened the video file. It opened in Windows Media Player. The video started with a title named “this is going to be fun” The video then skipped to a scene of a house. The room was dark and still. Then the door opened, releasing a ray of light into the room. A man walked in. His face couldn't be seen, as he was in the dark area.


“What the f-ck?” I said.


Then a in the background, the man struck a match, revealing his face, which couldn't be seen, because he was wearing a mask. He then walked out and closed the door behind him. I watched as the room went up in flames, the camera soon turning off due to the excessive heat.


“Huh?” I said quietly, confused.


Another message popped up. It read: 2 kids...shame really. Oh, and a couple were killed also. Shame also :(.


That did it. I shut the laptop down. There was NO way I was booting that “thing” up again. I thought for a moment on how I could remove the thing. System restore? Oh, that did nothing. Hmm, there must be something – ah ha! Maybe completely replacing the hard drive would fix the problem! Luckily, I knew how to disassemble and re-assemble these things. I turned it upside down, unscrewed the bottom and had full access to the motherboard. I carefully removed the hard drive and placed it on the table.


“Now I need to go to my friends house and look for a new hard drive.” I said to myself and exited the house.


I soon arrived at his and he let me use his net book. I searched up and looked for a hard drive for his laptop. At last, I found one. 400Gb of storage; should be enough. I ordered it and it should arrive Friday.



That Friday, it arrived. I opened it up and looked at it.


“Finally, this f-cking stupid crap is over.” I sighed.


I tried to place the hard drive into the motherboard, but it wouldn't fit.


“Get in their...” I said beginning to get frustrated.


I tried it from all corners but to no avail.


“You must be f-cking kidding me.” I moaned.


I placed the new hard drive into its packaging ready to be sent back. I sat down and looked at the old hard drive and the laptop.


“That thing is not going back in there.” I said.


As I stared at the items, a fire engine rushed past my house. I quickly looked out my window and another one passed shortly.


“Huh?” I said.


But I soon forgot it and went into the kitchen to start cooking tea.



I was eating my dinner and watching the local news. It was reporting on the governess and some government things I had no idea about. But then I heard something that caught my eye. The news reporter began talking.


“A man living in the Vamdua district has been killed in a fire at his home. The victim has been reported and identified as Raymond Briggs, a well known man in the community.”


My meal fell out of my lap, spreading its contents on the floor.


Raymond Briggs was my childhood best friend, and the person that let me use his net book.


I was a loss for words. There was nothing I could say...he was gone.




Two months have passed since Raymond died, and I have had to resort to the public library for my emails and internet surfing. I had arrived at home after a days work and looked at the laptop, which was still missing the hard drive, which was sitting next beside it.


I had no choice.


I had no other way.


It had to go back in.


I mournfully placed the hard drive back into the laptop and booted the PC up. On the desktop was a text file and a video file. I opened the text file, this is what it read: “See what happens when you pull ludicrous stunts like that? Removing the hard drive was a big mistake, my friend, A BIG MISTAKE. Do anything like that again, and you'll regret it, my friend, REGRET IT.”


The message made my blood go cold. It was pretty simple: Don't remove any hardware. I opened the video file.


The video started in...Raymond's house? What? Why was it recording at his house? The scene switched to the kitchen, where a red hooded person was slowly walking into the living room, hiding behind the door. When Raymond walked into the kitchen, the figure grabbed him by the neck and chocked him to death, slowly letting him fall to the ground. The figure looked up to the camera, his/her face still black. The person said “You f-ck around and you get people hurt.” in a messed up voice. The person then pulled out a gasoline can and poured it on Raymond's lifeless body. He/she then struck a match and set Raymond on fire, then slowly left the room, the camera following him out the door. The video ended.


I literally sat there in silence, looking at the lifeless screen. I realized the truth: Raymond had been killed.


I immediately ran out the house to the garden and opened the shed. I grabbed a hammer and walked back into the house. I walked back to the laptop and looked at it. The hammer was in my hand. I could end it all here. I could end it. I raised the hammer over the keyboard and held it there, ready to hit it with all my might. I was about to slam the hammer onto the keyboard, when a message popped up. It read: “WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT HARDWARE?”


“F-ck. You.” I hit the keyboard. The result made the laptop shut down. I began smashing the laptop to tiny pieces, breaking it into smaller fragments every time. At long last, the laptop was broken beyond repair. I grabbed what was remaining of the laptop and threw it into the bin. I walked back into the house and turned on the TV. I sighed in relief. But suddenly, two hands grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me out my seat. I tried to get up, but the person stamped on me and I groaned in pain. I looked up and saw who it was...It was the person from the video, in the exact same clothes in the video.


“Life is such a pity, isn't it?” He/she said in the same messed up voice in the video.


He/she then pulled out a 9mm handgun out his pocket and pointed it at me. I closed my eyes, waiting for the end to come. He/she pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. I opened one eye, and saw him/her patting the side of the gun, trying to figure out what was wrong. I slowly crawled behind the chair and peeked round the corner. He/she was still trying to figure out how to fix the weapon. I slowly turned the corner and pounced on him/her. I head-locked him and threw him on the table. He/she quickly got up and tried to kick me, but I dodged him/her and kicked him in the testicles. He grabbed his crouch and yelped in pain, confirming he was a man. I punched him in the cheek and he went flying into the wall, making him fall on the floor. I immediately went down and pinned him down.


“What do you want?!” I yelled, readying my fist to punch him.


“OK! OK! You win, OK! Just don't hurt me!” He yelled.


He then slowly took his mask off. It revealed a man in his fifties.


“Please...forgive me...they forced me to do it...for my family...” He said beginning to whimper.


“Who forced you to do this?” I said, beginning to calm down.


“I-I cant...they'll-they'll kill my family!” He hiccuped.


“Sorry to say this, but I don't give two sh-ts about your family.” I said “Who told you to do this?!”


“He-he-h-h name is-is-is Ry-”


There was a gunshot and the man suddenly died. I turned my head and saw a man with a gun, who was now pointing the gun at me.


“Poor old man...” He said.


All I could remember was that he shot me in the head and I became unconscious.



The next time I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. I slowly looked around. Nurses were observing me in shock and surprise.


“How did he...?” One of them said.


“That's not..” Another said.


“Are you OK?” Another said.


“Yeah...whu...what happened...?” I struggled.


“You were shot in the head. Usually, one shot to the head means instant death. But luckily, VERY luckily, the bullet went through your cheek, not the brain and missed the vital organs which are usually hit when you get shot in the head.”


I sighed happily. I was still alive.


“Shall we leave you for now to recover?” The nurse said.


“Please.” I said.


She then walked away. I looked at the TV in front of me. It had the news on. Something caught my eye.


“A town resident had a near death experience after he was shot in the head, but miraculously survived the shot. The criminal behind the attack, named Ryan Turnshed, was arrested later this evening and is currently under police custody awaiting questioning. We will report more on the incident tomorrow morning.” Then the weather came on.


For a few moments, I couldn't think of anything else but the news...How did I survive...how did the bullet miss my brain...how did - Suddenly a breaking news popped up.


“We have crucial news towards the Shcuke (which was my name) attack. Ryan Turnshed has confessed to have been running a internet gang crime organisation, which hacks PC's and sends assassins out to kill them, or people related to them when they try to remove the hack. All people involved with the organisation have been arrested and are awaiting questioning.”


Wait...so all this...was a organisation? Was it- The news continued on the article.


“Victims of the attacks have spoken up about the organisation, saying that there relatives or friends were killed and they would receive a video file and text file, showing them someone in a red hood killing them or someone else. We have yet to identify the killers. And now to our business article of the day.”


I laid back down on the bed, relieved that the nightmare was truly over.





So after those events, I decided to get a job in the local ASDA and began earning a living. After a while, I managed to get the money I needed to get a new laptop. I took it home that day and booted it up. Everything was normal. No random messages, files or videos. Ever since the experience with the old laptop, I have been more careful on eBay, and now I only buy from 100% approved people. I still share my experience with other people, telling them to be aware of eBay and its scammers. Oh, the fifties guy? They never found him, but I know he's dead. And that's how I want it to be. I also learned self defense, so that if I was attacked I the future, I knew what to do. Also, I've been doing some ICT training so I could remove a majority of virus or malware, so that when a repeat of those events happened, mixed with my self defense skills...I think I got it under control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...