Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Trixie and Luna connected?

Fractured

Going back over the episodes, I noticed quite a bit of similarities between Great and Powerful and the Princess of the Night. Among them:
Similar color schemes
Similar cutie marks(a crescent moon vs a crescent moon and a wand)
Similar attitudes(an overly competitive nature mixed with feelings of inadequacy.)
Similar speech patterns(contrast the royal WE with Trixie's habit of speaking in third's.)
Similar magic(Luna as Nightmare Moon was shown to be proficient at creating nightmares; illusions. Luna herself manipulates dreams, a subset of that power. Trixie herself does this as a special talent)
For what it's worth, Magic duel is a complete replay of the war between Celestia and Luna.
Not sure if this was intentional, but it is odd. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 3

It is a rather interesting series of coincidences but that is precisely all it is though some of the examples you gave are a bit of a stretch. Trixie can do some rather good magic tricks but she can't manipulate ponies dreams or create the kind of illusions that Nightmare Moon did.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended. This is a very interesting idea though.

Trixie is different from Luna in many ways. (I remember @ghostfacekiller39 made a long post about Trixie, that didn't sound like Luna at all)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended. This is a very interesting idea though.

Trixie is different from Luna in many ways. (I remember @ghostfacekiller39 made a long post about Trixie, that didn't sound like Luna at all)

The post in Trixie Fan club?  I'll go dig that up real quick, if you want :please:

Ah, here we are - one overly-thought out postulate on 2nd best pony coming right up! :D

Well, hey, it provides a lot of depth to her character. Why do you think she's arrogant?

Trixie lives in a Wagon. She has no set home, she just lives in a tiny, cramped, wooden wagon that she was to pull from town to town on her own.

img-2876932-1-large.png

Even worse is that the wagon also doubles as her perfoming stage, so she's got little to no living area. So she's poor because she to live in a tiny little traveling wagon that she pulls around herself.

So she's *not privelaged* at all - she's actually kind of poor if you think about it, and about as close to homeless as you can be without actually being homeless.

Then, let's face it - her act is mostly based off of smoke and mirrors and boasts. In terms of magic, she's mediocre at best. Remember the Ursa Minor in "Boast Busters" and how she fought it? She wrapped a piece of rope around two of its fingers. She is not powerful  nor talented at magic, she's average on a good day.

So she is *not privelaged* and *not talented*

Finally, she has trouble holding any sort of normal conversation. She can't talk to someone without constantly talking about herself (and I'll get to why later) and that will rub people the wrong way a lot. She is shown to have no friends and bad social skills. Keep in mind that she doesn't stay in one place and is always traveling.

So she's *poor* *not talented* and *lonely*

She has no reason to be so proud of herself whatsoever, and she's not dumb - she probably knows that. She has no friends and she's not very special or privelaged. So why does she brag?

Maybe that's why she brags - she wants to look cool to make friends. Maybe people would believe her and she'd make a few friends, because they'd think she was "cool" for all the stuff she says about herself. 

Also, she doesn't have any reason to be confident, as stated earlier, so what if it's also a way to improve her self-confidence? While it IS unnecessary, mean, and over the top, and just because she's confused doesn't excuse her for the wrong she's done, I think that there's so much more to her than just a big ego. Maybe it's because she has nothing else, and that's her only way of being something, and as things get worse, she gets worse with them.

That's why I like Trixie's ego - you can tell it goes so much deeper than just "I'm great and powerful!" :D
  • Brohoof 3

Well, those are some interesting coincidences, but there really aren't more than that. I know one of the more popular fan-canons was that Trixie is Luna's apprentice, and while I do like that, it's a bit of a stretch,

However, as previously mentioned, Trixie's repertoire is limited compared to Luna's or even Twilights, and Trixie was an antagonist due to pure ego, where as Luna's was a result of loneliness & jealousy.

In the end, they aren't as similar as we might believe.

...thought I do ship them sometimes...

Trixie was an antagonist due to pure ego,

Bahh. Gotta look at it from a different angle. Think outside the box.

The question isn't why Trixie's ego made her an antagonist, the question is why does she have that ego in the first place? THAT'S where the comparison lies within, at least, from my perspective :please:

Think about that for a while. Why does she have her ego? She lives in a wagon, making a living pulling it from town to town so she never stays in one place long...she doesn't have very good social skills...she doesn't have a lot of money nor talent...so why does she brag and why is she so narcissistic?

Just food for thought :please:

I, personally, see a lot of similarities between the two's stories, but they're also both unique in their own ways. Trixie's feels a lot more relatable because she's an everyday pony without much wealth or royal background - she's just a unicorn who lives in a wagon. A bit more down to earth, surprisingly. Both are excellently written characters, but I really think Trixie has an insane amount of potential hidden away, and I'd be pretty unhappy if she doesn't return in S5.

• Brohoof 1

The question isn't why Trixie's ego made her an antagonist, the question is why does she have that ego in the first place? THAT'S where the comparison lies within, at least, from my perspective :please:

Think about that for a while. Why does she have her ego? She lives in a wagon, making a living pulling it from town to town so she never stays in one place long...she doesn't have very good social skills...she doesn't have a lot of money nor talent...so why does she brag and why is she so narcissistic?

I, personally, see a lot of similarities between the two's stories, but they're also both unique in their own ways. Trixie's feels a lot more relatable because she's an everyday pony without much wealth or royal background - she's just a unicorn who lives in a wagon. A bit more down to earth, surprisingly. Both are excellently written characters, but I really think Trixie has an insane amount of potential hidden away, and I'd be pretty unhappy if she doesn't return in S5.

Quite right. I also agree with Trixie's potential, I personally believe the same thing about Shimmer and Diamond Tiara. This wasn't really to suggest that Trixie and Luna are the same. I suppose, now that i've thought about it more, it's more of a testament to how Trixie might be the Luna to Twilight's Celestia. At least, Boast Busters and Magic duel seem to be eerily reminiscent of the events that happened between the two sisters.

Well, don't get me wrong. She's a favorite character of mine as well, but I haven't seen much reason to deduce the same conclusions that you have.

I agree that she has plenty of potential, but whether the writers believe that or not is another story.

Isn't there a few fan works that have Luna mentor Trixie?

I actually agree with most of Ghosts take on Trixue, with the exception of her potential. I think she is the poster pony for wasted potential. If .... IF she had a mentor and a few friends -- if she had what Twilight has -- who knows.

Isn't there a few fan works that have Luna mentor Trixie?

I actually agree with most of Ghosts take on Trixue, with the exception of her potential. I think she is the poster pony for wasted potential. If .... IF she had a mentor and a few friends -- if she had what Twilight has -- who knows.

See:

Sunset Shimmer

Diamond Tiara

SilverSpoon

Lightning Dust

• Brohoof 1

See:

Sunset Shimmer

Diamond Tiara

SilverSpoon

Lightning Dust

I don't see LD as wasted potential, but that is another thread. Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara are interesting characters because the 'potential' is more about connections with those around them rather than a skill or talent. I like to see them as needing each other to grow and face that moment of clarity (but again ... another thread).

While I agree that Trixie and Luna are similar in nature, I don't think there is any underlying connection between the two of them.

Similar attitudes(an overly competitive nature mixed with feelings of inadequacy.)

I never perceived Luna to be too competitive of a character. I thought she merely felt severely unappreciated, and this feeling of inadequacy coupled with what was likely long-growing jealousy is what made her transform into Nightmare Moon. I never pictured Luna as someone who wanted to be better or as good as her sister, objectively, she just wanted ponies to recognize that she also could create beauty, if they would only choose to acknowledge and take a closer look at her night. But that's just my interpretation--the character is up for plenty more.

Similar speech patterns(contrast the royal WE with Trixie's habit of speaking in third's.)

This is true, but if we're going to talk about similarities in speech (especially referring to oneself in third person), you've got to bring Iron Will into the mix. ;)

How was Magic Duel a replay of Luna's feud with Celestia? I see some similarities, but are there any specific reasons why you made that connection? It's not one I would have found on my own. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

While I agree that Trixie and Luna are similar in nature, I don't think there is any underlying connection between the two of them.

I never perceived Luna to be too competitive of a character. I thought she merely felt severely unappreciated, and this feeling of inadequacy coupled with what was likely long-growing jealousy is what made her transform into Nightmare Moon. I never pictured Luna as someone who wanted to be better or as good as her sister, objectively, she just wanted ponies to recognize that she also could create beauty, if they would only choose to acknowledge and take a closer look at her night. But that's just my interpretation--the character is up for plenty more.

This is true, but if we're going to talk about similarities in speech (especially referring to oneself in third person), you've got to bring Iron Will into the mix. ;)

How was Magic Duel a replay of Luna's feud with Celestia? I see some similarities, but are there any specific reasons why you made that connection? It's not one I would have found on my own. :derp:

Two ponies exist. Though they're both great in their own right, one is overshadowed by the other and ignored by those around her, and grows bitter and jealous. The dark one gives into her feelings and taps into an evil force in an attempt to overthrow her better, and after a fierce fight, succeeds. Knowing that she can't defeat her foe in direct combat, the desperate pony relies on a force far greater than herself in order to defeat her enemy, the magic of the ones she loves. The dark one is defeated, and peace is restored.

The dark one eventually returns and expresses guilt for her actions, and is forgiven by the one who defeated her.

Perhaps, but as pointed out earlier, they could just be coicidences, although some fans like to assume they have some sort of relationship together.

It's very unlikely the writers will make any relation between Luna and Trixie canon since...well it appears to just be a major coincidence! Derpy and Dinky for example, is completely fanon (Derpy being her mother is fanon...what do you call that? It's not fanon, is it?)

Theory time!

The relationship between Trixie and Twilight is a resemblance to Celestia and Luna.

In the first episode we see Trixie, she Is beaten by a force she tried to stop, but failed to do so, and Twilight beats her. She goes away for a bit and then BAM! She's back, and seeking revenge. She actually wins for a short time, but the Twilight beats her with the help of he friends. She's forgiven, and then becomes nice, or at least, not a jerk.

Let us look at Luna. In the first episode we see her, we hear how she became evil and tried to make it night time forevs. She was inevitably beaten however, by her sister. Fast forward a century, and she returns, for revenge! She wins for a short time (that's what I guess) but is ultimately beaten by Twilight, with the help of her friends. She i s forgiven, and is much nicer.

See what I mean? Both are defeated by an empowering force, both are gone for some time, both return for revenge, both are beaten by Twilight and her friends, and both are forgiven. That last part is try for shimmer and discord as well though, so maybe it ain't too valid...

• Brohoof 1