Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pokemon Black and White 2 Thoughts?

Twiliscael

I personally found Black and White to be rather boring and aimed towards the younger crowd. I disliked this gen's Pokemon, but did not hate them. I didn't really like the region though. I believe Black and White 2 has potential. I don't know how but i feel as if it could turn out to actually be worth the $35? a DS/3DS game costs. Ideas?

------------------------Here comes a big long retrospective look at Gen 5---------------------------------------

I disagree Black and White is a large improvement over Gen 4 Diamond/Pearl/Platinum!

When looking at a Generation you have to look at some key features. First off new Pokemon, then new features, and then the region.

I'll admit that Gen 5's Unova region was a bit lacking, I call it the giant donut! :P

But most of the new Pokemon were pretty cool! The starters were pretty meh... to be honest this was the first game I opted out of using my starter which is practically breaking Pokemon law! D: Then I ended up with Pokemon like Zorark, Conkeldurr, Galvantula, Volcorona, tons of awesome Ghosts, Reuniclus, Musharna, Ferrothorn, and a few more. Overall more variety of types which really changes up gameplay. I do feel the legendaries are lacking though. Most are next to practically useless. Then again its hard to go somewhere after Gen 4 literally had God for a legendary!

And the features are pretty lacking. More online things were added but they never really lived up to their hype. A lot like Gen 4 most of the added features were more focused on online multiplayer. Though Gen 5 does add the 3 on three battles which added a lot more strategy to bigger battles. Unfortunately these were solemnly used in singleplayer.

Though one interesting thing added this gen was story. I never really played Pokemon for story, but the story they added really added to the singleplayer campaign! It wasn't the best story, but it shows that Pokemon wants to mature itself a bit!

Gen 1 we got the basics, Gen 2 we got more of the same but 2 regions to play, gen 3 we had a complete overhaul of game mechanics to make it more competitive, gen 4... mehh..., gen 5 we got a bit of story!

I'd say Gen 5 is probably tied for 3rd Gen overall and just below 1 and 2! Although its mostly a lateral movement a lot like 4, it tries to mature itself and has one of the best Pokemon rosters to date (seriously, its WAY up there to almost being the best).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Brohoof 7

I'm going to be completely biased and say...

OMG I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE SECOND GAMES BECAUSE IT CONTINUES THE STORY AHJKHFAJKHFJKDSHAGKSGF!!!

And now I shall say...

I absolutely loved the plot and I disagree that there wasn't much to do. There was a lot more of the "adventure" feel to this game and unlocking certain areas (like part of the dream garden or whatever it was called) was fun. Also, the Riches??? OMG I LOVE THEM XD What an odd yet awesomely rich family who likes to battle you every day and give you money.

I don't know, I really, really liked the virtues they taught in this game. It was more than just, "I'm gonna steal your pokemon because I'm evil!" like Team Rocket, and more... corrupted. I don't know, I thought it was much deeper and more than what met the eye.

• Brohoof 5

As for my opinions on BW2?

Well there isn't much info to go on. What I can say is the alt forms of the cover legendaries are... pretty ugly... if you ask me! But I'm not going to judge a book by its cover!

I'm guessing no new Pokemon is going to be a disappointment and I'm guessing it being a direct sequel they aren't going to evolve the features much. And we are still in the Giant Donut I'm guessing!

I'd say this is one of the worst moves Nintendo has made... or is it...

I mentioned earlier that they added a strong story element in Gen 5. This is a side of Pokemon trying to mature itself. So the saving grace of this title has to be that Nintendo wanted to try to mature Pokemon even further by perhaps upping the story element. Being a direct sequel, it has absolutely no legs to stand on except story, the weakest leg of Pokemon's past! Perhaps We're going to stop with the comfy generic Pokemon adventure and go for something bigger like the Gamecube titles (which included NO Pokemon League, just a story to save the world).

I think if the story is amazing there will still be mixed opinions. The younger or more impatient audience that is more interested in Pokemon for battling than an rpg story will be disappointed, but perhaps the more mature "RPG" fans, like myself, will really appreciate the movement of more story!

It's just Nintendo trying to find out what to do with the series. It just can't stagnate forever! A good series has to know when to mature and take new risks. If the game fails to mature properly it might spell the end for Pokemon. D:

If such a fate should happen in the near future I hope Nintendo really finds a nice place to put the series to rest (not that I want that, but all good things must come to an end eventually). It's like those who beg for a Mother 4. I say if Nintendo would make a Mother 4 it shall forever damage Mother 3 since it was probably the absolute best place to stop. And to drag out a 4th installment would damage to pure emotion of Mother 3! (Sorry if you never Played Mother 3 to understand my comparison, but it is the BEST example on the lifespan of a series).

[TL:DR]

Basically, BW2 is going to hopefully mature the series. It will probably add story elements which will please RPG fans like me, but stagnate in Gen 5 and be bad for those battle happy types!

I don't know, I really, really liked the virtues they taught in this game. It was more than just, "I'm gonna steal your pokemon because I'm evil!" like Team Rocket, and more... corrupted. I don't know, I thought it was much deeper and more than what met the eye.

Exactly! Deeper, more mature, story based are good descriptions for BW and exactly why BW2 makes sense!

I just hope that they can REALLY make this one even deeper and more amazing so some people will understand what they were trying to do with Gen 5!

• Brohoof 1

I think it's really awesome that for the first time since Gold/Silver/Crystal we are getting a real sequel. However, it's really hard to say much about it aside from that as we really know nothing. For all we know it could be set in the exact same Unova and just have a continued story. I really hope it takes place in a new region or at least a Unova in a fairly distant future, like Kanto was in G/S/C.

..But I still haven't been able to play Black/White. =(

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

All gens have good and bad pokemon. I love Mienshoa and Volcarona ! :)

I'm excited for B&W2 because I'm a pokemon fan girl,

they've never done a sequel before so I'm really interested in what they will add :o ~

This!

I have never played a 'children's' game that developed the villain so well, including a full back story and an awesome cut scene. Following a strong moral aspect of good and evil. It was a thrill to play.

• Brohoof 4

I think it's really awesome that for the first time since Gold/Silver/Crystal we are getting a real sequel.

I think it would be kinda cool if we got to battle the BW1 trainer post-game like the battle vs Red in GSC!

One of my absolute favorite childhood memories! My little mind was blown!

I think I can see how they could do it. See if you buy White 2 perhaps your goal is to capture the new form of Zekrom. And then you end up meeting Unova Champion White/Black or whatever who represents an older version of the trainer from BW1. And you must battle to fill some prophecy of the Dragons or something... then the Unova Champ uses Reshiram to fight you.

idk it would be a neat idea if done correctly! But I'm sure whatever direction they take this it should be exciting to see what happens!

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be kinda cool if we got to battle the BW1 trainer post-game like the battle vs Red in GSC!

One of my absolute favorite childhood memories! My little mind was blown!

Yeah, that was really neat. But this time around they need to make sure that they add the option of fighting the female protagonist instead.

I can not express how much that issue annoyed me in HG/SS.

Yeah, that was really neat. But this time around they need to make sure that they add the option of fighting the female protagonist instead.

I can not express how much that issue annoyed me in HG/SS.

I don't really see how...you fight Red because there was no female protagonist in gen 1.

I don't really see how...you fight Red because there was no female protagonist in gen 1.

But HG/SS were released after FR/LG, remakes of Generation I, which did have a female protagonist. They were released SEVEN YEARS afterward, in fact.

There's no excuse, I mean FR/LG and HG/SS are connected. You can even transfer Pokemon from FR/LG to HG/SS.

Edited by Envy

I seriously don't see WHY we would need to fight a female protagonist?

Red is.. the epitome of pokemon. The original. He is Ash from the show but he is Red from the manga that really started it all.

If you pretend Red was originally a woman, would you be longing to battle a male protagonist?

Besides, pokemon IS targeting mostly to young boys the same as MLP is targeted to young girls.

• Brohoof 4

I seriously don't see WHY we would need to fight a female protagonist?

Red is.. the epitome of pokemon. The original. He is Ash from the show but he is Red from the manga that really started it all.

If you pretend Red was originally a woman, would you be longing to battle a male protagonist?

Besides, pokemon IS targeting mostly to young boys the same as MLP is targeted to young girls.

It's a simple and easy process to equally represent the female protagonist and anybody who decided to play as her, female or not.

Nintendo added an female protagonist in FR/LG; it made no sense whatsoever to completely leave her out of HG/SS. It would have been just fine to allow players the option in some way as to which of the two protagonists from FR/LG they would have fought in the end.

I don't care about Red being the 'epitome'. By the time HG/SS were released there was a whole new generation of Pokemon fans that instead grew up on R/S/E and FR/LG. HG/SS were, for all intents and purposes, sequels to FR/LG and not R/B/Y. So, it makes no sense.

BTW, 'Leaf', the female protagonist of FR/LG was planned from the very beginning of the series. I believe she made it into the manga, but couldn't be in R/B for space reasons.

Edited by Envy

But HG/SS were released after FR/LG, remakes of Generation I, which did have a female protagonist. They were released SEVEN YEARS afterward, in fact.

There's no excuse.

Personally, I don't mind that they didn't include an option to fight the female protagonist for this specific fight. After all, Red is the original protagonist of the series, right? So what's the point of having the option to fight the female protagonist if she's not the true (and by "true", I mean original) protagonist of gen 1?

That option is definitely welcome for future games in the series, though.

EDIT: And the female protagonist was added in the gen 1 remakes because it makes no sense to not include her when other Pokemon games were starting to include both male and female protagonists.

Edited by Pinkamena Diane Pie
  • Brohoof 3

There's no excuse, I mean FR/LG and HG/SS are connected. You can even transfer Pokemon from FR/LG to HG/SS.

I think you may be looking at the FR/LG and HG/SS series the wrong way. They tend to be remakes of the older games so Red is still Red since its just a remake not an actual continuation of FR/LG (which in itself is just a remake)

But Yeah that would be a cool option! Not sure how they would do it without spoiling the end. Perhaps the Professor is older and has a faulty memory and vaguely remembers an old trainer she used to know and you have to answer a few questions to remind her.

It would seem like a really silly prompt at the beginning, but then at the end it makes sense!

idk I actually did play a girl in Pokemon White so I'd feel kinda strange battling the Unova Champion and she is a boy!

I have yet to play anything after the 3rd gen because I absolutely love the first 2 gens (Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal) and I didn't like Ruby/Sapphire as much, so I assumed the games would only get less enjoyable with each gen. I plan on buying a 4th gen game and 5th gen game someday though.

Personally, I don't mind that they didn't include an option to fight the female protagonist for this specific fight. After all, Red is the original protagonist of the series, right? So what's the point of having the option to fight the female protagonist if she's not the true (and by "true", I mean original) protagonist of gen 1?

That option is definitely welcome for future games in the series, though.

EDIT: And the female protagonist was added in the gen 1 remakes because it makes no sense to not include her when other Pokemon games were starting to include both male and female protagonists.

Your whole argument just falls apart with your edit there.

You state that Red must be the one you fight because he was the original. But then you say that it made sense to add a female protagonist in FR/LG because the newer games started adding that option. So why in the world couldn't Leaf have been properly represented in HG/SS? I'm not following this. If 'Red' is the only 'true' protagonist then Leaf's presence in FR/LG makes no more sense.

And as I said before, Leaf was actually planned from the very beginning. Red is only the one and only original because they didn't have room to add her in R/G/etc.

Edited by Envy

I have yet to play anything after the 3rd gen because I absolutely love the first 2 gens (Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal) and I didn't like Ruby/Sapphire as much, so I assumed the games would only get less enjoyable with each gen. I plan on buying a 4th gen game and 5th gen game someday though.

I LOVE 4th gen.

Play Platinum or Heartgold.

The game mechanics make so much more sense and the game play itself is very fun.

third gen is not my favourite, but I can still appreciate it.

I played 4th gen at the tournament level, so maybe I'm a little bias though ;p haah ~

I just don't think they had to or should have done anything to the battle with Red. I understand that the newer kids who played did have more options and were less likely to have played the original GB games, but... I still don't think it mattered?

If you think about it, what little kid is going to play pokemon and think, "Why can't I fight a girl? This game is weird because I can't choose who I fight in the mountain..." Kids don't really care, they just play a game. It is what it is!

And yeah, okay, they couldn't add her but she was still the SECOND option. In that case, they could have had a female protagonist as the one and only and left Red out.

In the beginning of the games like S/G/C you get to choose female or male and you're automatically given one rival who is male. Why can't I decide whether my rival is female or male as well? I feel it's the same argument though the battle with Red has nothing to do with the plot.

• Brohoof 2

Your whole argument just falls apart with your edit there.

You state that Red must be the one you fight because he was the original. But then you say that it made sense to add a female protagonist in FR/LG because the newer games started adding that option. So why in the world couldn't Leaf have been properly represented in HG/SS? I'm not following this. If 'Red' is the only 'true' protagonist then Leaf's presence in FR/LG makes no more sense.

And as I said before, Leaf was actually planned from the very beginning. Red is only the one and only original because they didn't have room to add her in R/G/etc.

She wasn't in the original games, so she wasn't the protagonist you battle at Mt. Silver. HG/SS were remakes of the gen 2 Pokemon games, before a female protagonist for the Kanto region existed in the games.

That's all there is to it, really.

• Brohoof 2

I LOVE 4th gen.

Play Platinum or Heartgold.

The game mechanics make so much more sense and the game play itself is very fun.

third gen is not my favourite, but I can still appreciate it.

I played 4th gen at the tournament level, so maybe I'm a little bias though ;p haah ~

I forgot to say i also have Fire Red and Soul Silver (cause like I said, I love the first 2 gens).

So would you recommend Platinum over Diamond/Pearl?

I forgot to say i also have Fire Red and Soul Silver (cause like I said, I love the first 2 gens).

So would you recommend Platinum over Diamond/Pearl?

Platinum is like D/P except with extra :). ~

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I wasn't too crazy about 3rd gen when it came out, but now that I look back it REALLY made some huge changes that have shaped the series such as abilities and double battles.

Diamond and Pearl are worth a shot. Unfortunately I found that gen to be too safe IMO. It is a lot like Gen 3, maybe a bit smaller (there was no Dive HM and I don't think it was really replaced by anything special... Defog I think... lame!). And the Pokemon of that generation weren't too exciting aside from the starters. Empoleon being the only Water/Steel was pretty awesome and Torterra's Grass/Ground typing made him a beast! The legendaries are a bit more epic in this game. The deities of Space, Time, and Darkness... pretty powerful stuff that is only overshadowed by Arceus who is alluded to being God! (Though he has no major role in the game since he's sadly event only)

And I gave my whole thing on Gen 5! Great Pokes and a deep story! One of my favorites!

She wasn't in the original games, so she wasn't the protagonist you battle at Mt. Silver. HG/SS were remakes of the gen 2 Pokemon games, before a female protagonist for the Kanto region existed in the games.

That's all there is to it, really.

And under this same exact logic you are proposing, since Leaf wasn't in R/G she shouldn't have been in FR/LG.

So no, that's not all there is to it.