Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are pegacorns and alicorns the same thing?

Everleaf

At first you may say YES OF COURSE and may say it even after I discuss this....

however a pegacorn is known as a (winged unicorn) or a unicorn/Pegasus hybrid being kind of like this in mlp style

a pegacorn is a unicorn/Pegasus hybrid or in some cases a unicorn with Pegasus wings however with alicorns they are are known a hybrid of all the pony races unicorn pegasi and earth 

a alicorn tends to be rather tall for something as a unicorn with wings, a unicorn with wings would be as simple as well a unicorn with pegasus wings (a pegacorn)

alicorns tend to have a longer lifespan than the average pony (or at least born alicorns) when considering a pegacorn is a hybrid of a unicorn and a pegasus they are likely to have a shorter lifespan

it may actually be likely to be possible for a unicorn and a pegasus to likely have pegacorn offspring just basically being a cross between a unicorn and a pegasus 

alicorns are also said to be part earth pony which a pegacorn clearly is not part

a alicorn has a very different build and body type in general from a unicorn pegasi or earth as all three races are much smaller likely  making a alicorn a completely different race all together  

with a pegacorn being a hybrid of the unicorn and pegasi they are more likely to be a hybrid as they have are as simple as a unicorn with pegasus wings

with alicorns they tend to be taller, have unique wings, and a longer horn and many other traits that a normal hybrid of a unicorn/pegasi would not have...

this would also explain the (pegacorn) background ponies

I shall show two examples 

now what do you guys think?

post-23690-0-37619300-1408695109_thumb.png

post-23690-0-73729100-1408696271_thumb.png

Edited by Everleaf
  • Brohoof 1

Well; in mythology, alicorns and pegacorns are indeed the same thing. They are both other names to describe a winged unicorn. Your analysis is good. However, Twilight is indeed an alicorn (just like the other princesses) but she is not taller than the average pony and it has also been confirmed that she does not have a longer lifespan.

And also, the background pegacorn ponies were confirmed as being animation errors.

Edited by boiteporte

(edited)

Well; in mythology, alicorns and pegacorns are indeed the same thing. They are both other names to describe a winged unicorn. Your analysis is good. However, Twilight is indeed an alicorn (just like the other princesses) but she is not taller than the average pony.

Well though mythology says they are the same thing though Equestria I just think not... and actually Twilight IS a bit taller than the main six...

she is still a young alicorn it though time it is possible she will grow Cadence used to be a pegasus according to the Crystal heart spell and back then she was clearly a smaller alicorn just like Twi

and the shorter lifespan may have something to do with her not being a born alicorn as the two sisters have been and clearly have a longer lifespan... 

with Twi she is not a full/born alicorn meaning she is missing many traits of a true/born alicorn such like the long lifespan

yes I am aware of the (pegacorns) in the background being animation errors however even if it was done by mistake it seems to be quite interesting of possible pegacorns even if it was a error I find it strangely interesting...

post-23690-0-41172900-1408696937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Everleaf

Is it just me, or does Pegacorn just sound kinda stupid?

It sounds stupid but it's known the name of the original unicorn/pegasus hybrid.

Tick toc I'ma bored COMMENT!!! okay joking....I'm just a lil, bored. :P

• Brohoof 1

I actually recall seeing an episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. He did a skit with Taylor Swift (it's a long story), but after the skit, they talk about a prop used in it: a drawing of the so-called pegacorn. I actually tweeted the show "It's not a pegacorn, it's an Alicorn. Get it right."

I always thought Alicorn was the proper term, and pegacorn was just some made up pseudonym. I could be wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Well; in mythology, alicorns and pegacorns are indeed the same thing. They are both other names to describe a winged unicorn. Your analysis is good. However, Twilight is indeed an alicorn (just like the other princesses) but she is not taller than the average pony and it has also been confirmed that she does not have a longer lifespan.

And also, the background pegacorn ponies were confirmed as being animation errors.

I am pretty sure the exact phrase was "she will not out live her friends", which could mean many things

She could be killed off

or

They all could be made Alicorns

72847_r.png?1356671503

• Brohoof 1

I actually recall seeing an episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. He did a skit with Taylor Swift (it's a long story), but after the skit, they talk about a prop used in it: a drawing of the so-called pegacorn. I actually tweeted the show "It's not a pegacorn, it's an Alicorn. Get it right."

I always thought Alicorn was the proper term, and pegacorn was just some made up pseudonym. I could be wrong.

Yeah I just see a pegacorn and a alicorn as two different however similar races...

Is it just me, or does Pegacorn just sound kinda stupid?

Something cinemas will start selling. Pegacorn candies.  :lol:

Yeah...they're nearly the same I suppose. 

Something cinemas will start selling. Pegacorn candies.  :lol:

Yeah...they're nearly the same I suppose. 

Yeah it's just my thoughts....it just makes sense to me that a pegacorn is not really the same as a alicorn...

• Brohoof 1

Pegacorn sounds like something that would come from the unwashed masses that don't pay attention to the show. Alicorn just sounds more proper, I don't know why.

Alicorn also means the horn of a Unicorn ... so this name thing is kinda hard to pin down with an exact mythological basis. So ... Twilight is an Alicorn who had an Alicorn that looks almost like a Pegacorn?

I want corn on the cobb now

:confused:

Alicorn also means the horn of a Unicorn ... so this name thing is kinda hard to pin down with an exact mythological basis. So ... Twilight is an Alicorn who had an Alicorn that looks almost like a Pegacorn?

I want corn on the cobb now

:confused:

This made me laugh so much XD 

UniCORN.jpg

image is not mine...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lauren Faust said that Princess Celestia embodies the traits of all three pony races, and the Enterplay trading card for Princess Cadance indicates that her pony types are pegasus, unicorn, and earth pony. We could then assume that it is the same for Princess Luna, as she is the sister of Princess Celestia. I believe that an alicorn is a pony that has characteristics of all three of the primary pony races (earth, unicorn, and pegasus), while pegacorns are simply unicorns that have pegasus wings.

Now, whether or not Twilight counts as an alicorn or a pegacorn depends on what you consider "canon". If I only considered the show itself to be canon, then Twilight is a pegacorn; she has not displayed any of the characteristics of an earth pony, so she does not meet the "three race" requirement. However, if "canon" includes the comic books and chapter books, then she is an alicorn instead, as the chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell describes Twilight as an alicorn.

Are Pegacorns even cannon?

Aside from a few minor animation errors in some episodes, no.

Edited by skbl17

That depends on how you define alicorn. If you think it's a winged horse then yes it's the same thing. However if you consider the words original meaning then no.

unicorn horn, also known as an alicorn,[1] is a legendary object whose reality may have been accepted in Western Europe throughout the Middle Ages.

From Wikipedia. So no, "alicorn" and "pegacorn" aren't the same.

Edited by Gadgetphile

Alicorn is only the term used in MLP. I don't think there is a "proper" term for a horse or pony with wings and a horn other than winged unicorn.

Technically calling a winged horse a pegasus is incorrect too, as pegasus was only one example of one.

Alicorn = The combined powers of Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns. They are much larger in size and the most powerful.

Pegacorn = The combined strength of Pegasi and Unicorns. They retain the size of a normal pony, but have wings and a horn.

In the MLP universe, Alicorns are canon, but Pegacorns are not. One can argue that Twilight is a Pegacorn based on size, but that size may change. Plus it was already stated that she is an Alicorn; she is infused with Earth Pony and Pegasi powers from being as such.