Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I can't see pictures anymore

Pastel

Since yesterday (after the forums migrated to a new server), I can't see the pictures posted by members anymore.

I see this instead:

img-3013051-1-709614422.png

img-3013051-2-798482Sanstitre.png

etc.

EDIT: I can see attachments though.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 7

Since yesterday (after the forums migrated to a new server), I can't see the pictures posted by members anymore.

I see this instead:

img-3013051-1-709614422.png

img-3013051-2-798482Sanstitre.png

etc.

They are missing, so I would guess it may have been posted after a backup or however the staff migrated to the new VM.

Perhaps they are still there, no idea. It might just be that they were lost in the migration. (derpy, we blame you)

• Brohoof 1

Hey Blobulle, I caught this last night and actually submitted a Support Ticket.  Its board wide, and impacting even partner threads.

Attachments work, but off site images will not display after a certain period.

EDIT

Some details.

Broken images appear throughout the board from approximately 17:00 EST 8/21/2014 on.

Signature image files are unaffected as far as I can tell.

Images linked on other secondary sire pages (like the Support page) appear to be unaffected

Image attachments are not affected as indicated above. (as they are hosted on site)

Avatar images are likewise unaffected (as they are hosted on site)

Emoticons are unaffected (as they are hosted on site)

The issue appears to start shortly after the VM migration, but I don't want to make assumptions regarding cause and solution.

The issue is universal to all browsers obviously

Basically, it looks like anything stored in an assets folder is fine. Anything temporarily cached isn't stored.

• Brohoof 13

Will this be being fixed? I believe I've posted literally every picture message through a third party image hosting site. I'll be sad if now no one can see those ever again.

• Brohoof 2

Seems fixed to me unless it's for a specific site that doesn't work. I just posted a picture in a topic which worked just fine. Also I don't know if it's unnafected too but images posted on about me descriptions in profiles work fine too.

• Brohoof 1

Seems fixed to me unless it's for a specific site that doesn't work. I just posted a picture in a topic which worked just fine. Also I don't know if it's unnafected too but images posted on about me descriptions in profiles work fine too.

No. I checked your posts and it's not fixed. When you link in an image it will show temporarily ... but break within minutes. This is why when it happened the first ones that noticed were the fan club heavy posters, since they are image heavy threads with users constantly in there.

The average user will post and see their image fine, but not revisit unless quoted, mentioned, etc and even then ... they may not see it.

• Brohoof 1

Any picture I put up in posts keep disappearing. *_*

It's very strange - they'll last a limited period of time before "breaking". I can post an image, and it'll show up. Then I'll check back a couple hours later and it'll be broken. 

• Brohoof 1

Good to hear. :D

At one point I thought it may be related to the 8/5 release of nginx or just a simple file permissions issue, but I couldn't duplicate it myself in a stage environment I made. Here's hoping it's an easy diag and fix for Lavo.

*crosses fingers

• Brohoof 4

Yes, the image issue is indeed open and being reviewed by the Technical Admin group. Since this is an issue that many of us have concerns about I will try and put routine updates in this thread on any progress.

• Brohoof 6

Unfortunately that workaround is not valid.

I will tell you that one valid workaround is imgur ... Upload via link to imgur and post the new imgur link on MLPF. Actually this process should work for any image hosting site that doesn't require 'http://www.' to view the image.

• Brohoof 2

Putting it in spoiler tags worked for me, so I kinda thought it was a site-wide temporary solution. :/

I suppose an alternative would be to have a thread in the testing forum and hosting an image there and just copying the URL. I'll try that.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feld0 spent some quality time with MLP Forums and it looks like the image linking is resolved. Before we officially call it fixed though, I'll keep this thread up for a bit longer in case the problem resurfaces.

So [img ] to your hearts content.

bPiuvZd.png

• Brohoof 4