Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come big mac hasn't got any development?

Flamestreak1990

He's a very tricky character to write for in context of the show. The comics did a very good job of having him star in his own arc, and even then it was mostly him reacting, or trying hard to not react, to the nonsense flowing around him.

He is getting a few more lines in some recent episodes but still no major character development, from what I heard the writers wanted to do an episode starring Big Mac but Hasbro said no. I heard this was sometime around season 1 or 2 though so this may have changed.

Because a lot of people think he should only ever say "yup" and "nope". Ever. They even made a joke about this in one episode when he started saying something else and got interrupted.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not sure it would be easy for the writers to write an episode for Big Mac as the main character since the longest he ever talks is less than a minute. It would be out of character for him to speak too much. I think that's a requirement for him to get some development (I could be wrong).

Edited by Super80 Wolf

I'm not sure if it's development, but we do see that he likes Smarty Pants beyond the spell cast by Twilight Sparkle. She's even seen under Apple Bloom's bed in a later episode, as well as several other well placed references. 

He's also on at least friendly terms with Cheerilee. He also sings. While he may not have had much explicit development from him, he definitely has a character which is uniquely his. I think the small shots into his life are what really make him an endearing character. The viewer is able to infer a lot from him without being expressly told.

• Brohoof 1

People have already mentioned it, but if you want more from Big Mac I would strongly recommend "Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair", which is a two part comic all about him. It's really quite good.