Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever felt like you're not allowed to like a character?

Samurai Equine

Hey bronies! Ever felt like you're not allowed to like a character from the show, or that too many people all ready like a certain character and there's no room for you?

I'm an adult, but when I was a kid, I use to feel that way about other things...

I like the Ninja Turtles, but when all the kids were playing pretend or dividing up the figures, everyone else always got Leo or Raph. I hardly ever got to be Leo, so I thought Donny was the only turtle I was allowed to like. But deep down inside, I was always a Leo fan.

The same thing happened when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was on TV. I use to be a fan when I was a kid, but every kid would always hog the Red Ranger, Green Ranger, or the White Ranger. For a while, I thought the Blue Ranger was the only one for me, but that changed pretty quick. But that's another story.

Point is, I hope no one ever feels so intimidated by peers or other fans that they feel like they're not allowed to like a certain character. I hope no one is settling for a background, one time, or less popular character just because there's all ready a lot of fans for Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Celestia, Derpy, or whoever. I especially wouldn't want kids to feel that.

Anyone else ever feel that way at one point?

Yeah, I don't really like going for the one that everyone else likes, but only because you then get accused of only liking it for being popular.  I always liked Fluttershy, I didn't know she was a fan favorite until that HUB survey.  You like who you like.  

I've felt things like this before. I've also felt possessive over characters, especially when it comes to the MLP fan favorite Fluttershy. Everyone loves her because she's cute, and for a lot of people she's also relatable, but I see so much of myself in her and appreciate her stories so much. When other people love her, in a way it can make me feel like my connection to her character and what she represents less special. I know that's a silly thing to think, and usually I don't mind people loving Flutters at all, but it can still bother me every so often.

Not at all, I like Dash because to be perfectly honest she is kinda like my alter ego of sorts. Sure a lot of other people like her as well but that's not going to discourage me from also have a piece of her. :blush:

Not many people like discord as their favourite around here, not sure about other places though.

It makes it a tad difficult to relate to people around the forums, but otherwise I kind of like representing him in a way.

I've never really felt like I couldn't like a certain character, though that's plainly just because I don't give a damn what anyone else has to say about my preference of pony.  

Discord is best pony. Like, forever. Nobody can change that.  :umad:

• Brohoof 2

I think I felt that way about Jason David Frank's character (Power Rangers) one time or another, not totally sure though. 

@Crimson: One day, Discord will be a beautiful alicorn princess.  :umad:

• Brohoof 2

I often feel that way about my favorite Doctor (the 9th being my favorite). There are very few fans of him, and with the massive fanbases Tennant and Smith have it often leads to massive peer preasure to join in the near omnipresent Tennant fan club.

But Eccleston will remain my favorite Doctor. Always and forever.

• Brohoof 1

Point is, I hope no one ever feels so intimidated by peers or other fans that they feel like they're not allowed to like a certain character. I hope no one is settling for a background, one time, or less popular character just because there's all ready a lot of fans for Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Celestia, Derpy, or whoever. I especially wouldn't want kids to feel that.

Anyone else ever feel that way at one point?

Well, seeing that im a Rarity AND Applejack fan, in often felt like i was a second class brony.

Both characters are kinda the punching bags of the fandom. And the hate that especially Rarity got in the past almost caused me to leave the fandom.

If your favorite character gets called bitch, cunt, whore, and other stuff like that, gets maimed in pictures, has whole fanfiction hate groups... That kinda ruins your trust in the fandom.

• Brohoof 2

Well, seeing that im a Rarity AND Applejack fan, in often felt like i was a second class brony.

Both characters are kinda the punching bags of the fandom. And the hate that especially Rarity got in the past almost caused me to leave the fandom.

If your favorite character gets called bitch, cunt, whore, and other stuff like that, gets maimed in pictures, has whole fanfiction hate groups... That kinda ruins your trust in the fandom.

I like the mane 6 equally. I remember someone saying that the beauty of Rarity's character is that she chooses to be generous despite her sometimes selfish desires. Her song "Generosity" practically spells this all out. In fact, all the mane 6 ponies have their flaws, but seeing them work through them to become better ponies and better friends is part of the charm that makes the show awesome. Even Spike can be the coolest child around, when the writers aren't using him as the butt of their jokes. Either way, you'll never see me talking smack about any character. It really takes a lot for me to completely hate something, and even then, I'd like to be respectable about it. :proud: 

Nope, at least if I have not that I can remember. I like what I like because I like it whether it is something that is popular or unpopular.

I always liked the blue ranger, probably because he was the nerdy one like myself. :squee:

TMNT though, I always remember everyone going for either Leonardo or Donatello. I usually pick Leo myself [bECAUSE PLAYER 1], because at least in the first game those two were awesome (especially Don's ridiculous ranged bo attack.)

I never picked a favorite character based on who everyone else liked, but I can see why some might feel pressured into doing so. I mean, my favorite of the mane six is probably Rarity and there is clearly no shortage of Rarity fans here.

I'll be honest with you, that's most of why I dropped Rainbow Dash as my favorite character for a while, but then I thought, no, I can like whoever I want. And Dash has always appealed to me the most.

Discord is best pony.

I am tellin' ya man that wine is getting to your head :D

Anyways I know what name of this topic as in do you ever feel like you are just bandwagoning  a character... I like Pinkamena and not too many people like that character. I also like pinkie pie just as much

• Brohoof 2

• 7 years later...