Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What If Twilight Became Season 5's Villain?

Midnight Gaze

The concept of a 'Nightmare Twilight' could happen - and here is how. 

Season 5 is already teasing a major challenge for the Mane Six (two teasers released support this). I am speculating that their friendships will be put to the test, possibly through each character being separated from Twilight in some way little by little. Rarity may get her big chance, Dash may join the Wonderbolts, Pinkie may be needed at the rock farm, etc. Eventually this will lead to Twilight losing hope ... and succumbing. Obviously the friends would come back together to help bring her back ... rejoicing in rainbows and song ... and cut to black with the Mane Six exactly where they belong ... with each other. :D

This is serious speculation with little firm ground to stand on, but it does show how it could happen. You would likely need a lot of one shots with each character being 'unhappy' in their new found lives so that the characters still have spotlight roles in episodes. 

• Brohoof 1

The concept of a 'Nightmare Twilight' could happen - and here is how. 

Season 5 is already teasing a major challenge for the Mane Six (two teasers released support this). I am speculating that their friendships will be put to the test, possibly through each character being separated from Twilight in some way little by little. Rarity may get her big chance, Dash may join the Wonderbolts, Pinkie may be needed at the rock farm, etc. Eventually this will lead to Twilight losing hope ... and succumbing. Obviously the friends would come back together to help bring her back ... rejoicing in rainbows and song ... and cut to black with the Mane Six exactly where they belong ... with each other. :D

This is serious speculation with little firm ground to stand on, but it does show how it could happen. You would likely need a lot of one shots with each character being 'unhappy' in their new found lives so that the characters still have spotlight roles in episodes. 

That is rather possible. Seeing as that could happen, there is also the fact that she did cast a bit of Dark Magic during the attack of King Sombra. Dark Magic itself is a dangerous magic and as a Spiritualist in real life, I know that it's a very real and existent magic. MLP is basing it more around the corruption of the soul but Twilight's does seem to be fairly strong willed. She could handle such magic with practice but it could remain to be contributing factor if she becomes vulnerable emotionally.

• Brohoof 2

I'd look at this being highly improbable, but to get Twilight to turn evil or otherwise insane, you'd have to take out something that defines her as a character.

I would rule out disillusionment and/or betrayal, as life seems to have given her so much as the privileges and opportunities that have enabled her to achieve so much. It doesn't seem as if there is all that much to hold her back.

Addressing the idealism vs cynicism issue, this show is very, very idealist. I'd even say dangerously so. In that case, I think Twilight has been made a strong, character, but there are ways you can still break her:

-Corrupting her with some sort of outside force which the remaining characters would have to learn to deal with in the absence of Twilight's immense understanding of the world.

-Separating Twilight's friends for a prolonged period of time, which would have to be coupled with a hinderance in her ability to make new ones.

-Separating Twilight from magic for a prolonged period of time and making her experience a wholly helpless and powerless position.

Edited by Wind Chaser

Several have mentioned the idea that T wouldn't just wake up one morning & say "You know what, Spike. Let's just conquer EQ today!"  It would be a gradual case of "All power Tends To Corrupt & Absolute Power Tends to Corrupt Absolutely"  + She did call on The Dark Side of The Force & that has CONSEQUENCES, young lady!

She would start small, for what she thinks are good reasons, & gradually Go Too Far & the next thing you know the peasants are storming the castle w pitchforks & torches. (Peasants!  Sheesh what whiners!  I mean, all you ask is that, any hour of the day or night, they get out of bed & cater to your every whim & the next thing you know, they are going around claiming to be oppressed!)

I've seen the thread about the Civil War.  Maybe it wouldn't be C vs L, maybe it would be C+L vs T.  I mean, going clear back to Winter Wrap Up, it shows T will break the rules for what she thinks is a good reason.  (So does It's About Time, if you look at it that way) + Magical Mystery Cure shows she can be careless & act without considering the consequences.  I mean, casting spells to find out what they do is a bit like pushing buttons to find out what happens.  Really Bad Idea

That being said, I doubt Hasbro would do it because it would really freak out little kids.  It would be like finding out Santa was actually running a burglary ring.  Be 1 great fanfic, though

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

Several have mentioned the idea that T wouldn't just wake up one morning & say "You know what, Spike. Let's just conquer EQ today!"  It would be a gradual case of "All power Tends To Corrupt & Absolute Power Tends to Corrupt Absolutely"  + She did call on The Dark Side of The Force & that has CONSEQUENCES, young lady!

She would start small, for what she thinks are good reasons, & gradually Go Too Far & the next thing you know the peasants are storming the castle w pitchforks & torches. (Peasants!  Sheesh what whiners!  I mean, all you ask is that, any hour of the day or night, they get out of bed & cater to your every whim & the next thing you know, they are going around claiming to be oppressed!)

I've seen the thread about the Civil War.  Maybe it wouldn't be C vs L, maybe it would be C+L vs T.  I mean, going clear back to Winter Wrap Up, it shows T will break the rules for what she thinks is a good reason.  (So does It's About Time, if you look at it that way) + Magical Mystery Cure shows she can be careless & act without considering the consequences.  I mean, casting spells to find out what they do is a bit like pushing buttons to find out what happens.  Really Bad Idea

That being said, I doubt Hasbro would do it because it would really freak out little kids.  It would be like finding out Santa was actually running a burglary ring.  Be 1 great fanfic, though

Oh and like Party of One and Lesson Zero didn't freak out little kids, yet they still did that anyway.

Ehh...

While there is potential for interesting internal conflict with Twilight, I don't see how making the "protagonist" the villain, resulting in there being no focused main character, would work.

The spotlight would be on the rest of the Mane Six.

Nah. It would have happened at the end of the 3rd season right after she became an alicorn. She would have fought Celestia in a volcano first.... With lightsabers!

(Lol geddit?)

I like more of the thought of what if fluttershy joined discord in evil because of some reason?

I think twlight becoming evil might be an interesting concepts though... It would def be different and a twist in the show... I think the show could use a good twist

It just occurred to me.  At the end of Too Many Pinkie's, T blocked the entrance to the duplicating pool, she did NOT destroy it.  If she ever needed an army, she could just duplicate herself into an army.  However, if there isn't some flaw in this, you have to wonder why she didn't do this against Tirek.

Also, the Pinkies didn't seem to know everything the original did & for a wizard knowing the spell is 1/2 the battle.  Plus, the Pinkies did not react the same  Still, an army of Twilights, some good, some evil might be a pretty good episode (call it Twilight Falls, maybe a 2 parter)

That would be funny if she tricked the 3 other princesses to make them think a Tirek-like villain have attacked equestria, thus making the princesses giving their magic to twilight. Twilight could easily trick Celestia since the princess trust twilight a lot.

That would be... terrifying... really.

I mean, for one it would be awesome because of story and all that, and it'd be epic. But it turn the series around to 180° in my interpretation.

...i mean, it also depends on how it would be made, it would be ok if it's well written. 

Not like twilight in lesson zero, no, i mean real crazy. Like insane because everything crashes down on her, and then she gets insane and does... stuff... i dunno what.

And then her friends calm her down, that would be great! But only for maximum 2 episodes.

As much as I would love to see this plot twist occur, unfortunately that won't happen. ;(

This would be too much for a kids show. Even though the Season 4 Finale with Tirek was dark and violent which was seen as not a kids show due to the amount of Dragonball Z references in there. :unsure:  The issue here is again, violence and grimdark. -_-  If this was going to happen, I would like to see that become a movie instead of just an episode because Twilight becoming a villain brings so much potential in ideas of how they're going to make it happen and what story line comes into play.

My opinion is, if this was set in season 5, then both EQG and Equestria come together. All of Twilights friends reaches out to Sunset Shimmer in which knows of how to deal with such magic because she was "A raging she-demon" in the human world and understands it and would be the one to know how to stop Twilight from taking over Equestria.

Only Sunset Shimmer would come back to Equestria and not the other Mane 5 due to the confusion that would take place, but also for their safety. All they can really do is pray that Sunset comes back alive and unharmed. 

With the Elements of Harmony still being with the Tree of Harmony, that is not an option. Not even Rainbow Power can save her.  Discords magic is useless against dark magic (I guess. I don't know that for sure, but let's just say it's useless okay?) and not even the other Princesses are strong enough to defeat Twilight with her dark magic.

There are two options for corruption. Dark Magic(As seen with King Sombra in S3, or, the Alicorn Amulet as seen with Trixie in S3). I would like to see her corruption be involved with dark magic because it's so difficult to use. If it was going to be the Alicorn Amulet, Twilight, would want to study the Amulet and try and learn it's magic and try to figure out who created it and accidentally puts it on therefore taking her mind over. If it was going to be dark magic, one day at her castle, the same pony who brought her the books from Canterlot which had the book on top that was "Vibrating and Glowing" from the human world(in Rainbow Rocks) brings yet another set of books which accidentally had a book with the study of dark magic, or as it's called "Forbidden Magic". Twilight remembers her use of such magic back at the Crystal Empire was being attacked by Sombra and thus, the only way to get to the crystal heart was by using it. However, the type of spells are forbidden for a reason as shown in the S3 Premiere. A dark spirit would take over Twilight's mind, therefore, corrupting her and becoming evil and is thirsty for power and to take over Equestria.

For an end for this scenario, I don't know. I'll let you guys decide that. 

I'll just leave this here.

331084__safe_twilight%2Bsparkle_solo_pri

Edited by ~SadisticFluttershy~
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

hmmm interesting idea! Cartoons made for a slightly older target market (early teens) have had popular "good guys" become villains before (xiaoline showdown and teen titans for example) but I think it might be a bit of a stretch for my little pony.

However if Twilight did become a villain, I like to think that she'd be unaware of it. With her new responsibilities she'd slowly grow power hungry and begin a mission to control the world around her and "improve" it, make it her idea of paradise.

It would start of with small things, an early curfew for example...but then things would get darker. She'd force the citizens of Ponyville to go to mandatory school houses and work factories (as an attempt to improve productivity in Ponyville) and harshly punish anyone who refuses. She'd ban creative activities, free speech and the right to leave the village without her approval, she'd summon a magic barrier around her kingdom, stopping any nasty outsiders from coming in an contaminating everything. As an Alicorn Twilight is considerably more powerful then any pony who tries to fight her, they're just no match for their new master even when they gang up on her. Twis own personal royal guard are also powerful, devoted and probably brain washed.

As for Celestia and Luna, well maybe Twilight has cast a spell to shield them for what is happening in Ponyville, she'd still be sending them letter (using an imprisoned Spike) which will make everything seem normal. In Twilights twisted mind wants everything to be perfect before she shows them what a good job she has done as a princess. She thinks it will be "a nice surprise."

I'm not sure how it would end, I like to think Discord would do something about it (he'd say "oh I'm so bored of all this depressing order Twilight's created in Ponyville! It's time to get things back to normal!) He'd then gather up the mane six who  have lost contact with one another and are all pretty depressed to get them to help him snap twilight out of her madness.

hmmm interesting idea! Cartoons made for a slightly older target market (early teens) have had popular "good guys" become villains before (xiaoline showdown and teen titans for example) but I think it might be a bit of a stretch for my little pony.

However if Twilight did become a villain, I like to think that she'd be unaware of it. With her new responsibilities she'd slowly grow power hungry and begin a mission to control the world around her and "improve" it, make it her idea of paradise.

It would start of with small things, an early curfew for example...but then things would get darker. She'd force the citizens of Ponyville to go to mandatory school houses and work factories (as an attempt to improve productivity in Ponyville) and harshly punish anyone who refuses. She'd ban creative activities, free speech and the right to leave the village without her approval, she'd summon a magic barrier around her kingdom, stopping any nasty outsiders from coming in an contaminating everything. As an Alicorn Twilight is considerably more powerful then any pony who tries to fight her, they're just no match for their new master even when they gang up on her. Twis own personal royal guard are also powerful, devoted and probably brain washed.

As for Celestia and Luna, well maybe Twilight has cast a spell to shield them for what is happening in Ponyville, she'd still be sending them letter (using an imprisoned Spike) which will make everything seem normal. In Twilights twisted mind wants everything to be perfect before she shows them what a good job she has done as a princess. She thinks it will be "a nice surprise."

I'm not sure how it would end, I like to think Discord would do something about it (he'd say "oh I'm so bored of all this depressing order Twilight's created in Ponyville! It's time to get things back to normal!) He'd then gather up the mane six who  have lost contact with one another and are all pretty depressed to get them to help him snap twilight out of her madness.

Well she already knows how to use dark magic so it's plausable :) I guess he would need to have been corrupted in some way though. What with being the princess of friendship and all :P