Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do Unicorns have an Advantage in the Fashion Industry?

Midnight Gaze

Rarity uses her magic to easily move fabric and cut it. In an industry where you have deadlines and need to quickly finish clothes, magic would be helpful. Three out of six in the Canterlot Elite are unicorns. How helpful would it be? Does magic make a difference? Could a pony really get by with hooves and wings?

Edited by Midnight Gaze

Yes, they do have an advantage. It is difficult to cut fabric, sew pieces together, etc. with hooves and mouth. Also, Rarity has a gem finding spell. Rarity is probably the only unicorn that could find gems. (Now that Twilight is an Alicorn.) and that helps her with making dresses, too. 

It's not impossible, but it is a lot more difficult for non-unicorns to make fashion. 

• Brohoof 1

Well earth ponies and pegasi can't really specialize too well in anything that involves "careful handling and fingering" of materials and fabrics since they can only use hooves (unless someone wants to prove me wrong!) Having a horn could also enable unicorns to perform multiple tasks at a time, as if they were an octopus.

Edited by Super80 Wolf

Well, suri polomare is an earth pony, so it isn't impossible. But being able to use magic to sew items together and attach peices would be higly advantagious compared to the other types of pony that would have to use their mouths and various machines.

Explain Hoity Toity and Suri Polomare, please. They are Earth Ponies but fashion designers. 

You're right: I should have been more precise, I mean only unicorns can be seamstress, dressmaker etc. But yeah pegasi/earth ponies can be fashion designers too, but they won't make dresses with their hands hooves.

Edited by Blobulle

You're right: I should have been more precise, I mean only unicorns can be seamstress, dressmaker etc. But yeah pegasi/earth ponies can be fashion designers too, but they won't make dresses with their hands hooves.

Coco Pommel is an Earth Pony, and she made the dresses for Suri in Rarity Takes Manehattan. 

• 5 years later...

It would seem like Unicorns really have the advantage when it comes too fashion, but we have seen many cases of nonunicorns excel in fashion. Considering that Earth Ponies and Pegasi can manage perfectly fine when it seems like they would struggle implies that they can do a lot more than we think with just their hooves. It would really be unfair to them if only Unicorns could work in fashion.