Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Hard Cider?

Gone Airbourne

I have tried recently: Woodchuck Amber, Strongbow, Ciderboys, Angry Orchard, & Redds Apple Ale

My absolute favorite being Woodchuck Amber

I'd say Woodchuck Amber, Angry Orchard, Strongbow & Ciderboys are my favorites so far.

Redds Apple Ale was okay not the best honestly but it is cheaper I believe.

So yeah if you like hard cider what would be your favorites?

• Brohoof 1

Lel, I've never really had alcohol. But the closest thing I've had to cider is the winter jacks or whatever. The jack Daniels with apple cider in it. Was pretty good. Actually I think we still have a load in the fridge, might ask if I can have some later today or tomorrow.

Edited by Brechard
  • Brohoof 1

I have noticed a ton of commercials for hard cider airing lately, I wonder much MLP has had to do with it? It certainly had made me curious as to what it tastes like.

Hard cider has almost as long a history as beer does in England, but it is only in the last two decades or so that it has made serious gains in North America ( and even then, only in certain circles and areas). In some cases in England, drinking cider was a sign you were trouble because it had the reputation of making you an angry, fighting drunk rather than a happy drunk.

My favourite is definitely Strongbow. I got a taste for it when I was in England and having cider on tap by the pint was a novel concept to me as a Canadian cider drinker at the time. I'm very glad it has since jumped over the pond and can be found draught in many pubs around her. It definitely makes the local (British Columbia) ciders pale by comparison, as the local ones are made with apples more suited to eating than to cider making and are thus very acidic, IMHO.

Woodpecker was also a nice cider I found on tap in England. It was made by the same company as Strongbow, but was a little sweeter. I haven't found it here.

Others I like are Angry Orchard, Foundry and Rock Creek. Haven't tried Woodchuck Amber yet.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much all cider in Australia is what Americans call 'hard' cider. (As in, it's alcoholic.) It's one of my all-time favourite alcoholic beverages, I absolutely love a good drop of cider.

I am, however, something of a self-admitted snob when it comes to good cider. I approach cider in the same way I'd approach a good red wine. There are cheap, artificial tasting varieties, and there are delicious, very natural ciders made from tried and tested techniques dating back hundreds of years.

Which puts brands like 5 Seeds and Strongbow in the 'no' column for me. Sorry guys! They just don't taste genuine. I'm not sure if Strongbow in England is any different to what we get here in Oz, but I don't much care for it when there are other, far superior brands to be found if you know where to look. (Though I will admit, Strongbow is better than 5 Seeds. 5 Seeds is just terrible.)

My favourite by far is from am English company called Westons. Their Old Rosie scrumpy cider is to die for. It's got a lovely tartness to it which is just mouthwatering. (Not like the sugar-water which is Rekorderlig.) I don't mind Bulmers/Magners, which is slowly becoming more common on tap at Australian pubs. (The good ones, at least.) And there are a few smaller Aussie cider manufacturers who, while their cider tends to run a little more sweet than Westons due to the varieties of apples used, have a very refreshing flavour. The Hills Cider Company from Adelaide and James Squire Orchard from Camperdown are two fine example. I'd also love to get my hands on some Barossa Squashed Apple Cider this coming summer.

If you like cider, I'd highly suggest looking around and seeing if any larger retailers stock some of the more 'artisan' brands. I promise you won't regret it!

...I have a lot of opinions on cider.  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Angry Orchard was the first cider I tasted and it probably is my 2nd favorite behind Woodchuck Amber. 

Their Old Rosie scrumpy cider is to die for

I will have to try this out for sure :3 

Redds apple ale is good but it  too me is lacking compared to the other ales I have tasted. 

Woodchuck Amber, Angry Orchard, & Ciderboys are my top 3 

Strongbow is pretty good alongside with Redd's but Redds would be my least favorite.

I will have to try this out for sure :3 

You may have a bit of a task finding it; there's only one major retailer here in Australia which stocks Westons, and cider is rather more common here than in North America. But definitely go look, or even import some if you can! It's like the nectar of the gods. 

What is it that differentiates cider from liquor, beer, & wine? Honestly, I have never consumed an alcoholic drink, so I can't comment on such myself, but I am VERY unfamiliar with cider and know of no actual cider brands here in WV, USA.

What is it that differentiates cider from liquor, beer, & wine? Honestly, I have never consumed an alcoholic drink, so I can't comment on such myself, but I am VERY unfamiliar with cider and know of no actual cider brands here in WV, USA.

At its simplest, cider is simply fermented apple juice. In that regard it is most similar to wine but it usually has an alcohol content closer to that of beer and is lightly sparkling like beer as well. It's usually served by the pint like beer as well in pubs that have it on tap.

West Virginia, I believe, has at least one cider that is produced there, though the name escapes me. (It might be Woodchuck, though.)

• Brohoof 1

At its simplest, cider is simply fermented apple juice. In that regard it is most similar to wine but it usually has an alcohol content closer to that of beer and is lightly sparkling like beer as well. It's usually served by the pint like beer as well in pubs that have it on tap.

West Virginia, I believe, has at least one cider that is produced there, though the name escapes me. (It might be Woodchuck, though.)

Ah, learn something new everyday. ^^

Judging from that it sounds enticing, though I'll have to do some looking up on my own to determine if I want to try some at a later time. I'll admit though; sounds tempting. :P

@@PathfinderCS,

The methods of production and the ingredients also differ. Beer is made from hops, cider is made from apples, wine (or what we usually consider the most popular variety of wine in the western world) is made from grapes, and liquor can be made from all sorts of things. All these things need to ferment to create alcohol, regardless of what they're made from.

Beer and cider both go through a carbonation process during fermentation. You can get varieties of 'still' cider, usually scrumpies, where this has been minimised or halted entirely. It's far less common, though.

Liquor is generally extremely strong. I don't like it much, unless you stick it in a cocktail with so many other flavours I can barely taste it. Like a Tequila Sunrise, or a Pinã Colada. (And yes, before you ask, I DO drink those because of the songs. xD But they're delicious anyway.) I adore good red wine. No two vintages are alike, it's a very characterful drink. I'm not quite as fond of white wine unless I'm drinking it on a hot Christmas day with family, and I can't stand beer.

Wine can also be made of things which aren't grapes. Sake, for example, is a wine made from rice. Mead is a wine made from honey. As far as I'm aware, the primary difference between strong wines such as these and liquors is the distillation process.

If you can get your hands on a good variety of local cider, I'd highly recommend it! As I said above, I'd seek out any local producers of 'artisan' type brands, though there may not be any in your area... If that's the case, see what else there is around at local bottle shops. Bulmers export to America, they're a pretty good drop.

(I swear, I'm staring to sound like the village drunk!)

• Brohoof 1

@@PathfinderCS,

The methods of production and the ingredients also differ. Beer is made from hops, cider is made from apples, wine (or what we usually consider the most popular variety of wine in the western world) is made from grapes, and liquor can be made from all sorts of things. All these things need to ferment to create alcohol, regardless of what they're made from.

Beer and cider both go through a carbonation process during fermentation. You can get varieties of 'still' cider, usually scrumpies, where this has been minimised or halted entirely. It's far less common, though.

Liquor is generally extremely strong. I don't like it much, unless you stick it in a cocktail with so many other flavours I can barely taste it. Like a Tequila Sunrise, or a Pinã Colada. (And yes, before you ask, I DO drink those because of the songs. xD But they're delicious anyway.) I adore good red wine. No two vintages are alike, it's a very characterful drink. I'm not quite as fond of white wine unless I'm drinking it on a hot Christmas day with family, and I can't stand beer.

Wine can also be made of things which aren't grapes. Sake, for example, is a wine made from rice. Mead is a wine made from honey. As far as I'm aware, the primary difference between strong wines such as these and liquors is the distillation process.

If you can get your hands on a good variety of local cider, I'd highly recommend it! As I said above, I'd seek out any local producers of 'artisan' type brands, though there may not be any in your area... If that's the case, see what else there is around at local bottle shops. Bulmers export to America, they're a pretty good drop.

(I swear, I'm staring to sound like the village drunk!)

More like the "Informed Drinker," or something along those lines, haha. :P

As it stands we don't have any bottle shops in the area I live in, and I am unaware of any in the more urban areas like Charleston or Beckley. Really, all we have is the local Rite Aid pharmacy. Maybe I can look in there someday, but I'll definitely have to research local ciders, if we have any.

Thanks though for the detailed summary! 'Twas very informative. :)

As it stands we don't have any bottle shops in the area I live in, and I am unaware of any in the more urban areas like Charleston or Beckley.

...seriously?  :wau:

It may just be an Australian thing, but we have one per suburb. Hell, sometimes we even have a few per suburb. There are three bottle shops within a 30 minute walking distance from my house, and probably 10x that about within a 30 minute drive.

As for small towns, they'll have two or three each at least. I think it's an unspoken rule that a town isn't a town without at least one bottleshop. xD

...seriously?  :wau:

It may just be an Australian thing, but we have one per suburb. Hell, sometimes we even have a few per suburb. There are three bottle shops within a 30 minute walking distance from my house, and probably 10x that about within a 30 minute drive.

As for small towns, they'll have two or three each at least. I think it's an unspoken rule that a town isn't a town without at least one bottleshop. xD

I speak the truth; actually.Granted yeah you can buy beer just about anywhere aside from the local grocery, but with my hometown being what it is...yeah, pretty much the truth when it comes to actual bottle shops.

I guess you're in a good location then. I can't comment on urban areas, BUT the rural area I live and work in really lack such amenities. I guess that could be both good & bad, but I can't comment. XD

I will admit though the small town I live in has been on the decline for decades & all, so that might be one explanation.

I don't know if I understood word "hard cider" correctly. An alcoholic drink made of apples with yeast - that's what I'm thinking about.

If I'm right - I must tell that it's really good stuff :3 . Taste is fresh, fruity and it doesn't make me sleepy unlike the beer. One of my favs, that can be bought in my country is Green Mill Cider:

green-mill-3.jpg

and Dobronski Cider:

20140710_20140710_janton_dobronski.jpg

Hard cider is becoming popular in my country. Mainly because of politician reasons. But I hope that it'll make more popular alcohol than vodka  ^_^