Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Adult blank flank or cutie mark change

Wind Chaser

I was talking over my OC with another user through PMs a while back and I noticed that he was something this show hasn't done yet: an adult blank flank.

It came as a surprise to me that there seems to have never been an instance of an adult pony without a cutie mark, save for the time Tirek drained everypony's powers, and never an instance of a pony who has wanted their cutie mark changed save for "Magical Mystery Cure".

Beyond the real-life explanations of marketing or the design process of background ponies, I'd like to see this done for these reasons. In Equestria, the cutie mark seems to have a dual symbolism as a mark of maturity (somewhat like puberty as it is portrayed) and a mark of a pony's "special talent". The lack thereof on both can be seriously damaging. (I'm not saying cutie marks are 100% evil, but read on.)

Think about the negative effects this can have. The society of Equestria puts such a high bounty on self-discovery through the concept of the cutie mark. The way the cutie mark is portrayed as seemingly displaying a pony's "special talent" could cause serious self-esteem issues in one who doesn't have a cutie mark. Not having that could lead to feelings of rejection, loss, uselessness, failure, etc.

Why do I bring this up? How many of us are early in our adult lives and have no idea what our calling is? How many of us have an idea of what our calling is but no means to get there?  How many people are unhappy with their "calling" or would like to change it? The show seems to have trouble showing us these realities, and I'd like to see them do it. These are questions many fans seem to have.

Handling an older pony with a blank flank or a cutie mark they don't agree with would serve us with a great moral, should the story be written right, about how not having an apparent "special talent" does not make you useless, or having a talent that seems useless on the outside might actually be a great benefit to people. Many depression posts on this forum, including mine, include something along these lines and the show really does not yet seem to have been ready or willing to tackle this all-too-common feeling of uselessness head-on yet.

Should this concept really be done?

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 5

Although it's maybe an animation error, Candy Mane is an adult pony without cutie mark:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/100013-candy-mane-fan-club/

I'd love to see more ponies like her, yeah I think this concept should be done, because it exists in the real life. (I also like the headcanon of cutie marks "evolving": if an adult pony isn't satisfied with his current life, his cutie mark would change). And this could be very interesting for the children who watch the show as well.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I like the reasoning behind why you want to see this happen. What happens if you don't find your talent, don't fit in to society? How would it treat you and how would you adapt? The symbolism is delicious to be honest. After seeing the animatic for the Season 5 premier, I am wondering if they may address some of your themes.

:D

• Brohoof 1

As a 27 year old blank flank, I agree!  :) I'd really love to see it done. At least I think it'd be easier if there were a pony without a cutie mark. It already seems pretty set in stone that once you've got your cutie mark, that's it. That's your special talent. 

• Brohoof 2

I like the reasoning behind why you want to see this happen. What happens if you don't find your talent, don't fit in to society? How would it treat you and how would you adapt? The symbolism is delicious to be honest. After seeing the animatic for the Season 5 premier, I am wondering if they may address some of your themes.

:D

I've seen the Season 5 animatic, and I'll say I was intrigued at the concept and potential themes:

A town where all ponies have the same cutie mark and are forced to put on fake smiles sounds like a direct metaphor for our current society, which demands perfection on everyone's part and conformity and obedience on the part of those in menial or low-skill positions. The fact that they all look different suggests that they are being forced to hide their individuality. Additionally, the opening lyrics of the season finale's final song seemingly foreshadow that the importance of individuality was going to become an issue. The concept of the Mane 6 traveling across Equestria to solve friendship problems may open the door even more for this concept to become reality.

• Brohoof 1

I agree, what a great concept! It could certainly be built in to a Cutie Mark Crusaders episode. 

It's most likely it hasn't been brought up yet just for simplicity's sake. For younger viewers in particular, it's easier associate a few obvious traits to each character (the party-er, the animal-lover, etc.) rather than dealing with confused or as-yet-undefined identities. Unfortunately I think if an adult Blank Flank did appear in the show, it would only happen one time and not be a recurring character. 

Part of the challenge of being an adult watching a children's show is to be aware of the target market and how much that affects plot. I'm guessing here, since I haven't discussed the show with any children lately, but most of them probably identify more with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and in contrast the Mane 6 are "when I grow up" type characters. From that perspective I would take to heart that the Mane 6 are constantly telling the CMC to be patient, and they'll get their cutie marks whenever it's time. 

Also, having a "special talent" as the show puts it doesn't have to mean that you're a Wonderbolt or a world class sorceress. Cutie marks and their associated talents include all kinds of activities that might seem mundane in the real world (apple farming, teaching, baking). One of the great positives of the show is how everypony's skill is given value no matter what it is. 

Thanks for bringing up this topic, I can relate to having issues with identity, and I bet a lot of other fans can too!

• Brohoof 1

I never liked how they gave such heavy meaning to the cutie mark.

I mean, I like that it describes what your best at, but still, not everyone is great at something unique.

Could some ponies get the same cutie mark?