Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finished product! Looking for tips and critiques!

Flash Fire

Line art is mostly done at this point. Going to hold off for a few hours to see what feedback I get.

post-23180-0-31804500-1409163809_thumb.png

Finished product:

post-23180-0-00542800-1409690632_thumb.png

Changes as per suggestions + cutie mark

post-23180-0-36619300-1409872043_thumb.png

Edited by Flash Fire
  • Brohoof 2

My primary recommendation would be line variation. If you have a variation between thin and thick lines it will prevent one solid line consistency making it look a bit more intricate. 

Your anatomy is fairly solid and there is room for improvement but talking about this pice specifically, its primarily the left leg that looks a little off. I would recommend studying both real horse anatomy (start with bone anatomy if you do) as well as, the shows style of anatomy which is mostly just circles and spheres.

The composition seen in you pose is actually quite fluid, a smooth © curve.  :) 

Beyond all that I mentioned the other little improvements will come with time, such as how you draw hair, wings and, eyes. Though I also recommend studying how things look in real life when it come to the littler things just because style usually branches form how something looks in real life. 

I hope this was of some help!  :catface: 

Keep drawing and keep the good work coming!   :yay: 

• Brohoof 3

I decided to edit what you made. Don't mind it, I just felt like it. And on it I shall explain some of the problems. 

post-16949-0-00704900-1409170115.png

I won't call the mane a fault, but it does look very heavy and uncomfortable. Not something for a pegasus. But, your choice. 

Also, I don't really get what position she is in. Is she trying to fly? 

If she were actually standing then it would look fab, have her back legs like that. 

But the position she is in just is weird... I mean she is not flying, and if she is then that huge bush of hair would like bang against her wing and make flying hard. And she is in no way in a flying position. 

Now, I could draw a sketch on how I would do this, but I am too lazy right now. But I might do it later and make another post. 

I will give you credit on the wings, they look like cool. And don't mind the poor coloring. I just felt like it. 

• Brohoof 1

TheDarkStar, on 27 Aug 2014 - 4:12 PM, said: I won't call the mane a fault, but it does look very heavy and uncomfortable. Not something for a pegasus. But, your choice.

I like a full looking mane and it's supposed to look like its flayed out rather than always that full.

Also, I don't really get what position she is in. Is she trying to fly? If she were actually standing then it would look fab, have her back legs like that. But the position she is in just is weird... I mean she is not flying, and if she is then that huge bush of hair would like bang against her wing and make flying hard.

She's hovering, like Celestia didduring the summer sun celebration.

I will give you credit on the wings, they look like cool. And don't mind the poor coloring. I just felt like it.

Thanks! Also, addressing the tail, since her butt is facing away from us, the point of growth is not actually visible from my perspective. What you see is the body of the tail. 

I hope this helps you understand better why things were drawn the way they were. Any further tips would be welcome. 

• Brohoof 1

What the posters above me said.

-the hindlegs should be  abit closer together

-maybe work a bit on her jawline to make the head a bit more distinct from the neck

-maybe add some detail to the right wing

What method are you using for the shading?

• Brohoof 1

-the hindlegs should be  abit closer together -maybe work a bit on her jawline to make the head a bit more distinct from the neck

for the jaw, i think you could get away with just adding another line, or even just shading the under part of the chin.  im bad at explaining so i too will draw all over your pic :(post-8581-0-58737700-1409815093.jpg

1. i think youd be able to see the underside of the wing, so the feathers seem to be missing.

2. the jaw as i said above

3. just widen the right flank, and pay attention to how your lines overlap one another to portray depth.

4. you did a great job with the shadows under the belly, but theyre lacking elsewhere.  With your highlights, (which is what i marked on the rump)--broaden them away from your edges and itll round out your character :) it looks like a standard bevel/emboss FX which makes the front legs look very flat. :/

Edited by SweetJeans88
  • Brohoof 1

other then what thay said it looks like a background pony im not artistic but just saying maby add pazas to make her stand out sorry its just my opinion but then agin a loot of ocs look like that just my 2 worthless cents

for the jaw, i think you could get away with just adding another line, or even just shading the under part of the chin.  im bad at explaining so i too will draw all over your pic :(attachicon.gifforflashfire.jpg

1. i think youd be able to see the underside of the wing, so the feathers seem to be missing.

2. the jaw as i said above

3. just widen the right flank, and pay attention to how your lines overlap one another to portray depth.

4. you did a great job with the shadows under the belly, but theyre lacking elsewhere.  With your highlights, (which is what i marked on the rump)--broaden them away from your edges and itll round out your character :) it looks like a standard bevel/emboss FX which makes the front legs look very flat. :/

That was mega helpful. I'll go in a re-work in when I have time

Made the suggest changed, except the leg and added the cutie mark.

post-23180-0-13059200-1409871957_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Made the suggest changed, except the leg and added the cutie mark.

:D great!~and im glad :3 its really coming along nicely, and awesome cutie mark xD 

other then what thay said it looks like a background pony im not artistic but just saying maby add pazas to make her stand out sorry its just my opinion but then agin a loot of ocs look like that just my 2 worthless cents

were all background ponies because were not the mane 6? :/
  • Brohoof 1

Like Sweetjeans said, OC's sort of are bg characters. Flash Fire doesn't need to shine outwardly, she's got inner fire. =)

• Brohoof 1