Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it's important to keep yourself in good shape if so why?

碇 シンジン

I think it isn't that important to lift weights and go to gym. I mean what do you benefit in the long run? You just get weaker when you get old so you are not gonna keep that good shape forever.

I don't get the point to wake up at 5 or 6 am and go to gym just to torture yourself. I never go to gym and I'm in bad shape I'm very weak and I don't think there is any problem with it. I mean I can't lift heavy things but I don't think that is necessary. I can live happy life without gym or that stuff.

If you go to gym why you do so? What do you gain, muscles that you can brag off?

• Brohoof 1

I do believe that this is important with a caveat. Good shape includes more than cardio or strength training. It also means appropriate sleep, a good mental health regimen, and a balanced diet. None of the categories I mentioned should ever be done for anything but personal health and fitness. If your motivation is solely to look good, I do question your priorities.

I run, swim, and do some moderate calisthenics. I atrophy a bit too quickly and don't get enough sleep to ever realistically strength train.

• Brohoof 10

I agree I think that it should be up to the person if they want to be in shape or not, it just depends on what you want your quality of life to be. If you want to be fat and lazy feel free, and if you want to be healthy and in shape then more power to you. No if you are bordering on something crazy like 500 pounds then you definiality need to get in shape, that is if you don't want to die, however if you want to live a short fat life... Have fun. 

• Brohoof 2

I tend to feel a lot happier when I'm in better shape, and not just physically, I feel more confident, alert and cheerful. So for me personally I think it's important!

At the moment I only go to the gym twice a week for an hour each time, I'm going because I want to tone up my body and lose some lbs.  I also brought a Kettlebell on amazon so I can work out at home in private. I find the gym environment pretty dull sometimes if I'm being honest. 

Oh and you can go your whole life without ever going to the gym AND keep healthy. If lifting weights isn't for you why not try Swimming, going for runs outdoors or attending a class in something like kickboxing?

Edited by Flytee
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)
If you want to be fat and lazy feel free

Being out of shape doesn't always equal that you are fat.

I don't think that your body condition determines the quality of your life but if it goes overboard then it's different story. I mean you should be able to have joyful and good life even if you're fat or out of shape or anything  like that. But the people these days judge you so hard based on your outer appearance that it is really hard to fit in and different people get bullied and they go depressed and their conditions get even worse. I think that is the real problem here people need to accept eachother. 

I tend to feel considerable happier when I'm in better shape, and not just physically, I feel more confident, alert and cheerful. So for me personally I think it's important!

Is that because the pressure of the society these days to be 'perfect' shape? I mean all the media shows that being fat on out of shape is bad thing but is it really?

Edited by ooBrony
  • Brohoof 4

Being out of shape doesn't always equal that you are fat.

I don't think that your body condition determines the quality of your life but if it goes overboard then it's different story. I mean you should be able to have joyful and good life even if you're fat or out of shape or anything  like that. But the people these days judge you so hard based on your outer appearance that it is really hard to fit in and different people get bullied and they go depressed and their conditions get even worse. I think that is the real problem here people need to accept eachother. 

I know sorry I should of said fat or lazy I was not trying to imply that fat=lazy or vice versa.

• Brohoof 1

Well, for starters, how you look effects your mood. But more importantly, being fit is being healthy. Gaining weight increases your chances to get various heart diseases, for instance. After you work out, your body releases serotonin and you become happier. It doesn't matter if you get weaker as you get older - you can get a decent body for an old person, or you can wither away. It's that simple.

• Brohoof 1

MLPF Logic: Everyone is fat or in incredible physical condition.

Of course I believe that working out is up to the individual, but I encourage everyone to improve their cardio at least somewhat, as that's where most of the health problems seem to happen these days. (Don't quote me, I'm not a doctor.) Looking good is nice too but protecting your heart should come first.

• Brohoof 3

I like being in shape. When I look in the mirror, and see the fact I have abs, it gives me a confidence boost. When I do things I feel powerful. And confidence is everything in today's world. 

I'm not ripped or anything. I don't even really work out. I just don't sit behind a computer all day. I run to classes instead of walking. I ride a bike instead of driving a car. I do a couple of situps or pushups every morning, just to wake myself up going into a new day. It doesn't take a lot of work, assuming you don't care about looking like every musclebound bodybuilder possible to find at Bro Island.

I'm happier now I'm in shape than when I was almost literally anorexic. And I like not running out of breath after walking up a hill, and being able to meet weight requirements for bumper cars and pogo sticks and scooters and stuff.

• Brohoof 4

Is that because the pressure of the society these days to be 'perfect' shape? I mean all the media shows that being fat on out of shape is bad thing but is it really?

Actually, it's a chemical reaction. From memory improving BDNF to serotonin, physical activity is actually beneficial to general emotion and intellectual health.

Yes there is a cultural connection to self esteem which is why I say it is better to focus on the actual legitimate improvements.

• Brohoof 5

Why have worldly possessions if you're just going to lose them when you die?

But to not answer your question with a question: it varies from person to person.

An introverted couchpotato probably doesn't need to very fit, but, y'know, it's your life n' whatnot.

I live an active lifestyle and my job is physically demanding, so me being in shape does me a world of good.

Edited by Teller
  • Brohoof 4

I eat tons of veggies most of the year - I consider that as being in good shape, lol. I'm too lazy for most exercise, with the exception of walking. I take Tenormin, so yeah.  :maud:

I figure somepony that works out enough probably could kick my a**.  :lol:

Best keep yourself in shape then.  :P

• Brohoof 2

Why have worldly possessions if you're just going to lose them when you die?

Same reason why you want a better suspension system in your car I guess, to make the ride more enjoyable.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
I run to classes instead of walking. I ride a bike instead of driving a car. I do a couple of situps or pushups every morning

Do you force yourself to do that every morning? I mean it's great if you like to do that it is good way of living, but if you force yourself into if so what gives you that motivation then? I personally didn't find the motivation and reason to do that.

Edited by ooBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Do you force yourself to do that every morning? I mean it's great if you like to do that it is good way of living, but if you force yourself into it then what gives you the motivation? I personally didn't find the motivation and reason to do that.

Not really. I don't do that many. Doing just a couple gets me moving, and helps me wake up easier. I don't like going to classes half-asleep and drowsy.

• Brohoof 2

Is that because the pressure of the society these days to be 'perfect' shape?

I hate to say it but yes, that's probably the main reason I feel good when I'm in better shape.

I mean all the media shows that being fat on out of shape is bad thing but is it really?

It shouldn't be a bad thing, but in today's society it's treated like it is. You get looked down on, teased and often have to deal with people making false assumptions about you and your lifestyle. I really admire people who accept their bodies no matter what society thinks of them, I wish I could be more like that.

Edited by Flytee
  • Brohoof 3

Do you force yourself to do that every morning? I mean it's great if you like to do that it is good way of living, but if you force yourself into if so what gives you that motivation then? I personally didn't find the motivation and reason to do that.

I'm sure Dezzie can reply, but let me tell you that from my stand point that yes you do need to focus and force yourself to commit ... at first. We are creatures of habit us humans ... so eventually you will actually feel like you need to do what you normally do. It is hard at first ... which is why so many people start a program and then stop.

• Brohoof 3

I think its important to to maintain a relatively healthy body. That doesn't mean you have to be super buff or be in perfect shape, but not keeping up a certain amount of exercise or eating right is going to be a health hazard.

I don't go to the gym, but I walk my dogs every day and try to eat all my fruits and veggies. I ain't exactly Hercules over here, but I'm not overly unhealthy either. Makes you feel good, too. I get weirdly depressed when I don't go for a walk.

Also: I think its important to note that some people just enjoy going to the gym and body building. Its a hobby for them.

• Brohoof 4

@@ooBrony,

I'm sure Dezzie can reply, but let me tell you that from my stand point that yes you do need to focus and force yourself to commit ... at first. We are creatures of habit us humans ... so eventually you will actually feel like you need to do what you normally do. It is hard at first ... which is why so many people start a program and then stop.

Yeah, I responded to the question, but Jeric got it pretty much on point. It's an effort at first until it becomes a habit. You have to actually want to better yourself if you're ever actually going to.

• Brohoof 2

i'd say yes. You can avoid a vast majority of health problems in doing so. Also staying fit isn't THAT diffiicult, being fit doesn't require you to join an expensive gym and exercise until you can't feel your limbs anymore. Just walk 30mins or more a day and aslong as your not eating more than you need to you're pretty much set.

On a more personal level, I look after myself because I'd expect anyone I end up with to be taking care of themselves too. :P

• Brohoof 4

I think it's important to keep yourself in good shape, because if you don't then you'll have lots of health problems later on in life. For example, too much saturated fat can lead to cardiovascular disease. Still, if you want health problems, then that's what you get I guess.

I don't work out myself, but I try to do things I enjoy like swimming, biking, and hiking.

• Brohoof 4

I think so. Maybe not working out like lifting weights or "hardcore" stuff, but keeping yourself pretty active in some way. Someone said "if you don't use it, you lose it", so..use it!

Of course it is important to keep yourself in good shape.  Building muscle is not as necessary as it was many years ago but there is absolutly NO disadvantage of being physically strong.

Edited by Synyster
  • Brohoof 1